• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The stand out players of the season so far

J

Jer1cho

Who do you guys think are the stand-out players so far this season? Here are some players who i think are in really great form:

- Jacques Fourie (Playing the rugby of his life. This guy has to be one of the best centres in the world at the moment. Pure class!)

- Rory Kocket ( Outstanding scrum-half! Surely he will be in the Bok squad for the Lions tour, as Januarie is woeful!)

- Digby Ione (The Reds star is having a really good sesason for me, even in an underperforming side)

- Casey Laulala (The Crusaders star so far, scoring tries and breaking lines. EDIT* Was that a rugby rhyme??? Sweet! B) )

- Lelia Masaga (Has to start for the All Blacks this season! Very strong winger, and he is having some great games!)

- Francois Steyn ( B) )

- JP Pieterson (Back to his best! Lets hope it stays that way)

- Pierre Spies & Ryan Kankowski (Nuff said)

Many i must have left out. Who do you guys think, are the in-form players thus far?

- Lelia Masaga
- Frans Steyn (from what I've seen)
- Brendon Leonard
- Jacques Fourie
- JP Pieterson
- Adam Thompson
- Israel Dagg
- Lachlan Turner (in a couple of games)

Luke Watson(the guy we all love to hate) and Duanne Vermeulen,both have been playing good rugby for the Stormers so far this season...

For Australia -

Reds - Digby Ioane
Tahs - Lachie Turner
Brumbies - George & Tyrone Smith
Force - Matt Giteau

I will be severely disappointed with Robbie Deans if -

a) Timana Tahu gets a spot in the Wallabies squad despite the fact that he's yet to do ANYTHING in rugby.

B) Lote Tuqiri gets a starting position when he hasn't even been half as good as Ioane or Turner. In fact, I'd rate Mitchell ahead of him too.

I don't think Vermeulen is disciplined enough. He gives away far too many penalties for my liking. I feel the same way about Bulls number 6 Deon Steggman.

I'd also like to add Benn Robinson and Ben Alexander to the list...

It's a shame that Australia can't produce tight head props as good as these guys...

I like what I have seen of Schalk Brits, he reminds me of Keith Wood, just smaller and not as strong bu a bit more agile. Masaga and Watson have been impressive too, as well as Luke Burgess.

In the super 14 it could be one of Masaga or Fourie.

Edited for going off topic: Steve-o

This is the Super 14 section so posts referencing to other comps or players who have nothing to do with this topic, will be treated as going off topic.

For me the stand out players have been:

Stefan Terblanche
Luke Watson
Rory Kockott
JP Pietersen
Christian Lealiifano
Conrad Smith
Lelia Masaga

Christian Lealiifano has greatly improved since the opening few rounds and is probably playing better than his other young contemporaries - Quade Cooper, Kurtley Beale etc.

He's still making a few too many unforced errors though...

I'm also greatly impressed with Mitchell Chapman's performances in the last two Brumbies' matches... he's been extraordinary in the lineout and has made some great bursts...

Personally, I don't think Australia's lock/backrowers have been putting in consistently good performances this year...

Mumm is probably the best of the bunch right now... Mowen has put in a couple of good performances... Chisholm started strong and went into his shell (now out for the rest of the season)... Higginbotham started great but has too many brainsnaps... Horwill has only just returned from injury... Kimlin was explosive off the bench for the Brumbies at the start of the season but has also put in some quieter performances of late... McMeniman has always been overrated...

I can't say that I've actually watched much rugby that hasn't involved the Hurricanes this year. So I guess my picks will be limited to them.

- Conrad Smith
- Alby Mathewson
- Tamati Ellison

The Crusaders have this young lock that looks very promising, Isaac Ross I think ?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Apr 7 2009, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
For Australia -

Reds - Digby Ioane
Tahs - Lachie Turner
Brumbies - George & Tyrone Smith
Force - Matt Giteau

I will be severely disappointed with Robbie Deans if -

a) Timana Tahu gets a spot in the Wallabies squad despite the fact that he's yet to do ANYTHING in rugby.

B) Lote Tuqiri gets a starting position when he hasn't even been half as good as Ioane or Turner. In fact, I'd rate Mitchell ahead of him too.[/b]

What he said. Unfortunetly A and B will occur.

Reds: Digby Ioane and Scott Higgenbottham.
Tahs: Phil Waugh (for that hit on McLinden)
Force: Drew Mitchell, Matt Giteau.
Brumbies: Adam Ashley-Cooper, George Smith.

Jer1cho, i hope you were joking about Steyn, he's been absoloutely awful.

The best players have been.

Masaga
Fourie
Conrad Smith
Sivivatu
Giteau
Pietersen
Donald
Iaone

Latest posts