• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The standard needs to improve.

chopsaw89

Academy Player
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Bayonne
I don't really condone putting referees down but the standard really does need to improve. The standard is improving for sure; however:

All to often we see referees making the wrong calls that send teams out of tournaments around the world, and to be fair it's not really acceptable considering fans spend a lot of their had earned money to support their teams.

Now referees make mistakes, they are only human after all but they need to face repercussions when they are clearly negligent.

Brett Gosper has come out today backing Craig Joubert to a certain extent for his display yesterday which you would expect him to do on the face of it, but to come up with very poor excuses about Joubert's performance yesterday is arrogant and shows a disrespect to the fans of the game.

To treat fans with the such a contemptuous manner in saying that Joubert needed to go to toilet when he run off, really is taking the proverbial "P@@@."

How many people need a pee after running around for 80 minutes? Now come on, we are not idiots.

I believe it is time for World Rugby to stop making excuses for refereeing decisions that cost teams their places. In any other profession or job in the world you get sacked for negligence, and unfortunately for Craig Joubert, that is what we witnessed last night.

Not the decision to award Australia the penalty; it should not have got to that.

Drew Mitchell should have had a yellow card for a late challenge a minute earlier.

What we witnessed was a compounding effect of wrong decisions which cost Scotland their place and for that Craig Joubert needs to be relegated to refereeing club rugby for a period of two years.

Relegation of referees who are negligent in their decisions is the only way the standard will improve drastically IMHO.

Like I say I don't really condone putting referees down, but all to often at big events referees are not good enough to get the calls correct and until then we are going to have a game were supporters are disenfranchiesd and the game being in disrepute.

Sorry but it's just my opinion.

I think that despite Jouberts obvious brain-farts yesterday, the standard of officiating in Rugby matches is as good, if not better, than that in many other sports.

Rugby is a hugely technical game played at a frenetic pace. It is to the their credit that the officials get most things right, most of the time.

Of course, it doesn't help when some of the rules are interpretive and we see NH / SH divides in how they are implemented.

And it REALLY does't help when World Rugby come out to back the likes of Joubert's decision by saying he could not have used the TMO, despite their own rules stating absolutely clearly that he could have done so.

I think that despite Jouberts obvious brain-farts yesterday, the standard of officiating in Rugby matches is as good, if not better, than that in many other sports.

Rugby is a hugely technical game played at a frenetic pace. It is to the their credit that the officials get most things right, most of the time.

Of course, it doesn't help when some of the rules are interpretive and we see NH / SH divides in how they are implemented.

And it REALLY does't help when World Rugby come out to back the likes of Joubert's decision by saying he could not have used the TMO, despite their own rules stating absolutely clearly that he could have done so.

I was really enjoying and agreeing with this post until reached the last two paras!

Then feel free to debate them with me Tony and tell me how I'm wrong... ;)

Imo, the extension of tmo to other things than try scoring was a mistake. It reduced the confidence fans and players had for the central ref, and side ref dont take much responsibilities. I saw more consistency in refering before that.
Most of the suspensions could be red/yellow cards in the game, not a week after, if side refs had more responsibilities.

Last edited:

Latest posts