• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The standard of NZ officiating.

back2back

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
What the heck is going on? Glen Jackson once again pulls out another terrible game costing performance, when is the last time we produced a good official? I'm having to think back to Patty O'Brien more than a decade ago.

We're always quick to jump on the back of Barnsey or what ever, but we ourselves can't produce a world class official, it's a worry.

I actually like Glenda as a referee generally; he is an all around good bloke, but he did have a shocker last night, and he will know that performance was well short of the accepted standard.

However players have shockers too, and we don't go on about the general performances of every player in, say, Australia, just because one Australian player has a shocker

As for the best referee we have had in the professional era, I have to say Paul Honiss... head and shoulders above the rest!

I actually like Glenda as a referee generally; he is an all around good bloke, but he did have a shocker last night, and he will know that performance was well short of the accepted standard.

However players have shockers too, and we don't go on about the general performances of every player in, say, Australia, just because one Australian player has a shocker

As for the best referee we have had in the professional era, I have to say Paul Honiss... head and shoulders above the rest!

John Smit disapproves.

Jacko started off strong when he first took up the whistle, but he has had a couple of shockers over the last 2seasons.

O'keefe had a mere. Not looking promising. Have all the ref's been told to let the breakdown and scrums just go wild?

I saw a couple of NZ coaches looking a bit bemused after the opening weekend. (and atleast one of them won the match).

Glenns performance almost sniffed of fixing for me. That how bad I thought it was.

John Smit disapproves.

That cockup was Smit's own fault. Honiss was fully justified in allowing the Irish to play on as he had briefed both captains before the game that he would only be stopping for injuries. Smith had understood that at the time.

Here is what Paul had to say about this incident

"I was very consistent during the game, South Africa were giving away penalties close to the line and I told John if he didn't talk to the players I would have to use other means to sort it out. I expected him to remind the players of discipline, but never said I would give him a minute to talk to the players."

"The Irish guys came to me and said 'what now?' I told them 'time on' and play was continuing. I told both camps before the game I would
only be stopping the game for injuries and I expected John to just say 'discipline' to his players
."

"I am surprised that there is an outcry. It appears if there was a misunderstanding, but there was never an intent to stop the game. If you look at the rest of the game you will see I was very consistent in this and only stopped for injuries."

"Anyway, how many international sides do you know that turn their backs to the opposition on their own goalline?"

Latest posts