• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The State of Origin matches - Irish version

psychic duck

International
If there was a "province of origin match" in Ireland like they do the "state of origin" match in Australia Rugby League, which proud province would win?

Last edited:
McFadden over Kearney and McGrath at 9 please.

I'd imagine we'd still truth be told. Our back three, centres & backrow are the pick of the litter, while I don't think any of the other front rows are good enough to press home an advantage there.

I thought McGrath was a prop (who got destroyed by Bevington last month)

Jack McGrath is a strong scrummager at loosehead who had to play tighthead in an emergency.

Luke McGrath is the countries brightest prospect at 9. Not much competition yes but a great prospect non the less.

Different McGrath. Luke McGrath is a scrum half. Jack McGrath is a loosehead prop who was pushed into playing tighthead against the Ospreys (and got mullered).

I thought McGrath was a prop (who got destroyed by Bevington last month)

Pretty much what BG8 said. Luke McGrath is the Ireland under 20's scrum half and I think he may have played once or twice this season for Leinster off the bench. He's a very exciting prospect, you should keep an eye out for his at the JWC.

Cillian Willis is the best Irish scrumhalf.

Before shooting me down, consider this: Suck my balls.

Just going to pedantically point out that Deccie Fitz isn't from Ulster. Adam Macklin it is... if they could cope, Ulster would do well, if they can't, predictable bumrapery.

McGrath is a brilliant blend of styles. Great vision, brilliant tackler, very strong running game for his size, good leader good pass and can even place kick to a prtty decent standard.

My 22 for Leinster:

1. Healy
2. Harris-Wright
3. Hagan
4. Cullen
5. Toner
6. O'Brien
7. Jennings
8. Heaslip
9. McGrath
10. Sexton
11. Fitzgerald
12. McFadden
13. O'Driscoll
14. R. Kearney
15. R. Kearney

16. Sexton
17. McGrath
18. Flanagan
19. Ryan
20. Willis
21. Madigan
22. O'Malley

Last edited:
Objection your honour, cloning Rob Kearney is fecking cheating.

How can you call it a State of origin when provinces are involved? If you had a state of origin it would be England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland

To reply to the original topic: Munster or Leinster would be my first option. Altho ulster could do some damage as well.

Just off the top of my head some players who haven't been mentioned yet for their home provinces, who could be in for a shout were such a comp to be arranged...
Leinster: Felix Jones, Denis Hurley, James Downey, Kyle Tonetti, Ian Keatley, Niall Ronan, Niall Morris, Geordan Murphy
Munster: Frank Murphy, John O'Sullivan, Tom Hayes, The Ryan brothers, Mushy, Brian Tuohy, Jeremy Staunton
Ulster: John Andress, Neil Best, Sean Dougall, Gareth Steenson, Mark McCrea
Connacht: Genuinely struggling here

I've probably missed a few, and I know that many of these players couldn't/shouldn't/wouldn't be able to nail down a starting spot in their province of origin and many of them never actually played for these provinces, but hey it would probably be more interesting to watch with some of these included, and lets face it if it were to happen these are the kind of guys who would most likely have been picked. It's also amazing how many Leisnter players plie their trade elsewhere compared to the other provinces...

Last edited: