• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Story of the Mighty All Blacks

Big Ewis

Hall of Fame
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Toulon
Skip the crappy, useless parts early about Christmas and what not. Some decent footage in there. Check it out a bit, some good stuff in there and it's not long:

EDIT: I particularly liked the segment about the AB losing. Ppl don't realize the kind of pressure the AB have for each and every game. You almost feel like these guys *need* things like the haka (as opposed to it as I am, notoriously : p) to sort of exorcize that pressure, the demons of pressure so to speak. It's a relieving practice both mentally and physiologically (I mean, it's a genuine workout/warmup literally speaking).
I really empathize. These guys HAVE TO WIN, because NZ just will not accept a loss, no matter the circumstances or opponent. The atmosphere must be absolutely - I would like to say *toxic*. I bet some AB just don't take the pressure well at all and develop psychological imbalances if not physiological even. The physical stress on the body AND the stress mentally are just at a level I'd imagine no other int'l side ever comes close to. You just CANNOT - LOSE. I mean Dusautoir as the Marseillaise is sung, has that heroic look into the horizon and all and motivates himself and yadi yada, but it won't ever come close to what the AB experience.
Sure that fear helps them win, but at what price ? Poor guys, I really sympathize, and being an All-Black, you're a man with wide shoulders because of the mental pressure FIRST. The skills and all that pretty stuff comes wayyyy second.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ever national team have that pressure when they lose. It doesn't give you the right to show bad sportmanship and to fabricate untrue stories to play down achievements of others.

^ well not the kind of pressure NZ is under.
But I'm not sure I understand exactly what you meant with that second sentence, could you elaborate just a bit ? I'm curious about what you mean.

every time AB are playing - it should be the win only)) At least - this is the way rugby community is thinking)) AB simply can't afford to lose. It's not that other teams have other goals but to win every game, but... they are more than used to lose. And how many losses have AB allowed within recent 5 years?

every time AB are playing - it should be the win only)) At least - this is the way rugby community is thinking)) AB simply can't afford to lose. It's not that other teams have other goals but to win every game, but... they are more than used to lose. And how many losses have AB allowed within recent 5 years?

oh yeah, that's something ppl just don't understand: OF COURSE every team plays to win, and a loss is a big deal and isn't taken lightly. But for the AB, seeing what the setting is like at home in NZ, the ppl, the media...it's IMPOSSIBLE for them to lose. The pressure IS obviously greater for them than any one other side.

Latest posts