• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Test Team

M

Meh

This will obviously change as the tour goes on...well, it might not, but probably will but....if we were playing SA tomorrow who would you pick based on the 2 matches we've had so far.

For me so far it is:

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Lee Mears
3. Euan Murray
4. Alan Wyn Jones
5. Paul O'Connell
6. Tom Croft
7. David Wallace
8. Jamie Heaslip
9. Mike Phillips
10. Stephen Jones
11. Rob Kearney
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Brian O'Driscoll
14. Tommy Bowe
15. Lee Byrne

you guys?

Yep, exactly the same. I wtf'ed at Kearney, but I suppose it's logical, given Halfpence and Fitzgerald haven't had a chance to secure the shirt yet.

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Lee Mears
3. Euan Murray
4. Alan Wyn Jones
5. Paul O'Connell
6. Tom Croft/Stephen Ferris (Tom Croft ahead at the moment)
7. David Wallace/Martyn Wiliams (Wally ahead at the moment)
8. Jamie Heaslip
9. Mike Phillips
10. Danny Cribiani
11. Money/Fitzgerald/Halfpenny (2 not to play yet but Monye still at the bottom of my list at the moment...I don't care that HP is usually on the other wing)
12. jonny Wilkinson
13. Brian O'Driscoll
14. Tommy Bowe
15. Lee Byrne

I edited 10 and 12 after Loggerrhea's post which follows this

Absolutely bang on Meh, given what we've seen so far, though Murray hasnt been given the game time to justify it. Kearney has played a good bit at 11, and used to keep Fitzgerald out of the shirt for Leinster but I'd still expect Fitzgerald to take the 11 shirt, and I wouldnt rule out the option of playing two #6's, in order to bring Ferris or Powell in on the other flank.

Oh ..... and Wilkinson is a Lions 12, not a 10. Ye numpty!

It's probably unfair to judge some such as Fitzgerald, Halfpenny and others because well, they've not played yet.

Fitzgerald may indeed get the 11 shirt.

I think Murray is definitely first choice from the outside for tighthead but I'd not rule out Vickery.

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Lee Mears
3. Euan Murray
4. Alan Wyn Jones
5. Paul O'Connell
6. Tom Croft
7. David Wallace
8. Jamie Heaslip
9. Mike Phillips
10. ROG
11. Monye
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Brian O'Driscoll
14. Tommy Bowe
15. Lee Byrne

ROG and Wellies are the same player, with slight variations. Big difference between them: ROG is arrogant, Wellies humble. For a SA test, my money is on arrogant. Plus ROG kicked the hide off SA in 2006.

Monye has pace and power, good cover tackling, not so good in contact. More worried about Bowe on the opposite wing - for pace and power he's bog standard, but he's clearly the most intelligent player in the squad. Will he make a great 9, maybe 10, in a few years?

Back row lacks the "get your retaliation in first" element. Any way to fix it? Ferris has the cojones. If not, Lions won't win.

Anyway, Wales and Ireland players looking good, mostly. And Mears - his lineout throwing was a WORK OF ART.

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Lee Mears
3. Phil Vickery
4. Alan Wyn Jones
5. Paul O'Connell
6. Tom Croft
7. David Wallace
8. Jamie Heaslip
9. Mike Phillips
10. Stephen Jones
11. Monye
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Brian O'Driscoll
14. Tommy Bowe
15. Lee Byrne

Purely based on what we have actually seen so far, I thought Vickery had a great game on weds as did Steven Jones,,

I'm sure my opinion will of changed come test time!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meh @ Jun 4 2009, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
This will obviously change as the tour goes on...well, it might not, but probably will but....if we were playing SA tomorrow who would you pick based on the 2 matches we've had so far.

For me so far it is:

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Lee Mears
3. Euan Murray
4. Alan Wyn Jones
5. Paul O'Connell
6. Tom Croft
7. David Wallace
8. Jamie Heaslip
9. Mike Phillips
10. Stephen Jones
11. Rob Kearney
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Brian O'Driscoll
14. Tommy Bowe
15. Lee Byrne

you guys?[/b]

Only thing id change is to bring Ferris in to 7. Good shout on Kearney though.

I agree that Vickery had a good game on Wednesday, to my complete and utter amazement, it took him a whole fifteen minutes to give away a penalty, but he isn't as good as Murray, plain and simple.

I think Ferris and Murray will all be favourites for the tests team after tomorrow, should they start of course. Fitzgerald, Halfpenny and O'Callaghan can also improve their chances.

15. Byrne
14. Halfpenny
13. O'Driscoll
12. Roberts
11. Monye
9. Phillips

1. Jenkins
2. Mears
3. Murray (Vickery's performance did tempt me but Murray is far better)
4. Hines
5. O'Connell
6. Croft
7. Wallace
8. Heaslip

After the first 2 games byrne.bowe.o'driscoll.roberts.philips.heaslip.jenkins and mears seem to have nailed down a test spot and add to that o'connell
vickery played well while jones did ok amd murray has only had 20 minutes and did well
shaw was shaw....... hines and aw jones both played very well and were yet to see any of doc
ferris and croft's battle over the 6 jersey is one which will go to the wire and one that will be enjoyable to watch as there both very very good players and this one might depent on the game plan
wallace is ahead of williams at the moment but again depends on gameplan and could go either way
jones and o'gara is a 50/50 call with jones slightly ahead at the moment
williams was poor and monye was better but not eye catching.if fitz or hpenny play well then they might force there way in.kearney played well so they may include him here also.

if the test were in the morning my team would be

1 jenkins
2 mears
3 murray
4 hines
5 o'connell
6 ferris/croft
7 wallace
8 heaslip

9 philips
10 jones
11 kearney
12 roberts
13 o'driscoll
14 bowe
15 byrne

Right then, just to update after the last match.

1 Jenkins
2 Mears
3 Murray
4 AW Jones
5 O'Connell
6 Ferris
7 Croft
8 Heaslip

9 Philips
10 Jones
11 Fitzgerald (only other option is Monye, and Fitzgeralds overall game is far better)
12 Roberts
13 O'Driscoll
14 Bowe
15 Byrne

One thing today's game proved is that you need a proper openside, Wally or Williams are the only options at 7.

Ahhhh I dont know. Players did get isolated a few times alright but I'm not convinced by either Wallace or Williams.

An all Irish backrow could be the option though. They work well as a unit and know what roles they are meant to play.

Irish back row is a clone of the Leinster back row, you lose a little with Ferris/Elsom but they are very similar, and you gain a bit with Wallace/Jennings. The players all play the same roles and I do think it is the most balanced come test time, and I also think it is the most physical. Much better than during Eddie's reign when Wally was our main ball carrier, now he gets to play like an actual openside.

Sheridan
Mears
Vickery
AWJ
O`Connell
Ferris
Heaslip
Wallace
Phillips
Jones
Monye
Roberts
O`Driscoll
Bowe
Byrne

|A team picked on form alone. Thisis what Geech should go with based on the games so far.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (glosbigboy @ Jun 7 2009, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sheridan

Vickery[/b]

Both have given decent accounts of themselves so far, but Jenkins and Murray are superior in almost every way to those two.

1. Jenkins
2. Mears (Sad, innit...)
3. Murray
4. POC
5. Croft
6. Ferris
7. Wallace
8. Heaslip
9. Philips
10. Jones
11. Monye
12. Roberts
13. BOD
14. Bowe
15. Byrne

Whoever is suggesting Euan Murray should play ahead of Phil Vickery needs shooting. Watch a re-run of the Golden Lions game and see how often Vickery went in low and hard at ruck-time. The absence of someone doing that against the Cheetahs is what almost lost us the game. Murray is a powerful scrummager, but that's it. Vickery gives you more. I do not think this is necessarily English bias as the same is true of Sheridan and Jenkins - only in that instance it is the Welshman who gives you more.

Williams confirmed my suspicions that he's lost the yard of pace that made his size irrelevant. I called it during the 6N but it has sadly been proven on this tour. He was on the end of a very inexperienced line-up of backs, though. This is a Lions tour, not the place for boys.

I've been unconvinced by O'Connell, too. Were he not captain then he would certainly not be an automatic selection for the test XV.

Latest posts