• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The TV thread

goodNumber10

International
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
London Wasps
Think it might be useful to have a TV based thread, with Sky and BT sharing the weekend it's proving difficult to constantly catch what's on where.... Also think the games are split in France as well.

Also useful for discussing the difference in presentation between the various shows and analysts involved.

What say yea?

um yeah why not, currently watching the Glasgow - Bath game very entertaining for glasgow not so much for bath fans

basically all the games in France are on Be in Sport by one on A2, tomorrow i think its the Toulon game but it also show on B IN sport that is the Champions Cup. the other not really interested.

....... Be in Sport by one on A2,.

Is "Be in Sport" a TV channel that broadcasts from junction one on the A2 motorway?!!!!

Told you I was bored and nothing has changed as cannot find steam for BO game although they are losing anyway!!!

Thought Wilkinson came across well on sky was interesting seeing the dynamic between him and greenwood, works well..... Their presentation still feels better to me than BT but the BT sports guys certainly know their stuff and it looks more polished.

JW and WG are big mates......whenever JW was to be interviewed by Sky, they always sent Will as there is such a long time bond there but they are two very intelligent people with great and deeply thought out views on and knowledge of rugby!

I am afraid that there is no one on BT that can hold a candle to either of them and think JW will be as big a hit as WG has proven through the years! Add to them the likes of Dean Ryan, Pat Sanderson and another one that I forget, and Sky have the pundits as only Healey from BT comes anywhere near!

Commentary wise, neither channel, generally, is better than the other (although I think BT try harder with their midweek studio messing about but then they have time to fill)........they both have verbose idiots (Dewi/Dawson), and annoying voices (Iuean/Dallaglio) but then anyone is better than the rubbish we have to endure when the games are in Australia!!

Best to just tune out the commentators and pundits and concentrate on watching the rugby............

I do find it difficult when it is obvious that, for some games, the commentators and pundits are obviously in the studio and have not bothered to travel to the game....it is more when they each have/had the right to screen French games I would have to say.

Can anyone confirm who the pictures are generated by?

Is it one external company or does each station actually deploy their own employees and equipment to the UK games they each cover (obviously overseas games are piped to them!)?

does anyone know if there is Rugby on today on BT sports ?

Leinster match at 16.30.........Show starts then but match kicks off at 17.15 for clarification!!

Last edited:
is the London Welsh game on this evening? Can't see it listed on either channel.

Also just so people know the red button games have been broadcast on sky extra or via the skysports website once you log in.

cheers, mrs is away so am going to have the TV to myself for most of these games :D

JW and WG are big mates......whenever JW was to be interviewed by Sky, they always sent Will as there is such a long time bond there but they are two very intelligent people with great and deeply thought out views on and knowledge of rugby!

I am afraid that there is no one on BT that can hold a candle to either of them and think JW will be as big a hit as WG has proven through the years! Add to them the likes of Dean Ryan, Pat Sanderson and another one that I forget, and Sky have the pundits as only Healey from BT comes anywhere near!

Commentary wise, neither channel, generally, is better than the other (although I think BT try harder with their midweek studio messing about but then they have time to fill)........they both have verbose idiots (Dewi/Dawson), and annoying voices (Iuean/Dallaglio) but then anyone is better than the rubbish we have to endure when the games are in Australia!!

Best to just tune out the commentators and pundits and concentrate on watching the rugby............

I do find it difficult when it is obvious that, for some games, the commentators and pundits are obviously in the studio and have not bothered to travel to the game....it is more when they each have/had the right to screen French games I would have to say.

Can anyone confirm who the pictures are generated by?

Is it one external company or does each station actually deploy their own employees and equipment to the UK games they each cover (obviously overseas games are piped to them!)?

I think BO'D is looking like an excellent pundit but maybe I'm a bit biased.

Agree with most of that Tony.

BT's coverage is becoming increasing tiresome for me. It's very bloated - Rugby Tonight only has about 20-30mins of actual rugby analysis/opinion in it, the rest is waffle.
They also seem to be far more like mouthpieces for whoever wants to put out a showy press release than Sky, who I think are happier to be critical than BT.
Personally I find Sky's "3 men in a small studio" analysis far more enjoyable. If Sky could hire Ben Kay and David Flatman to do commentary then that would be perfect from my perspective.

I also don't quite understand why BT persist with Dawson - he is clearly not a competent host/anchor and frankly comes across as someone who only watches as much rugby as he has to.

Last edited:
Agree with most of that Tony.

BT's coverage is becoming increasing tiresome for me. It's very bloated - Rugby Tonight only has about 20-30mins of actual rugby analysis/opinion in it, the rest is waffle.
They also seem to be far more like mouthpieces for whoever wants to put out a showy press release than Sky, who I think are happier to be critical than BT.
Personally I find Sky's "3 men in a small studio" analysis far more enjoyable. If Sky could hire Ben Kay and David Flatman to do commentary then that would be perfect from my perspective.

I also don't quite understand why BT persist with Dawson - he is clearly not a competent host/anchor and frankly comes across as someone who only watches as much rugby as he has to.

agree with all of that, i first started wathcing BT tail of last seaosn and thought this is cool but after a few weeks it all became a bit tedious - whilst the analysis things on the fake pitch are ok they drag on a bit too long, and healey is really annoying in a studio (though his ingame analysis is excellent)

I agree the on screen analysis sky do is better... and i prefer the 3 men around a table format as well. Game day as well, all the stuff with bloggers and social media on BT it's just overkill and detracts from everything.

I'd like to see a combination of Sky's stylism and Ben Kay and BOD, i'd reaaaaaally love for sky to get Dean Ryan back.

I'd love both channels to get rid of Dawson and Morris.

Last edited:
I think his name is Craig Doyle ? The BT guy, why is he there ? Lawrence Dallaglio doesn't add alot most of the time. I like the idea of having the fake pitch for when something amazing happens at the weekend and the guys go through it so that viewers know what goes through the mind of the players. Little things like who makes the call and how hard these things are, like the drop goal and wrap round this week.

Ahaha... the bloggers! :lol:

What the **** do they do!? They get introduced at the beginning then might say one line at the end of the show!

Ahaha... the bloggers! :lol:

What the **** do they do!? They get introduced at the beginning then might say one line at the end of the show!

aye, just what? Where are they blogging, is it on BT's page or their own? I just don't understand what they are doing - the social media monitoring i understand, and it makes sense if something is said etc... but the bloggers. **facepalm**

Don't know if this will be useful but
BT Sport-
Munster v Saracens (7.45pm) Friday
Bath v Toulouse (3.15pm) Saturday
Scarlets v Leicester (7:45pm) Saturday
Wasps v Quins (5.15pm) Sunday
Treviso v Racing(5.15pm) Sunday/ BT Sport Extra

Latest posts