The Ulster Thread

UlsterRugby2012

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag

UK

Club or Nation

Ulster

Really devastated to hear this news tbh. Apparently it was a police car chase (not involving him obviously). Heard he was a fantastic character and I loved watching him play. Sad.

Groundhog

Grond van der Hogg
TRF Legend
TRF Supporter
Country Flag

Aaland

Club or Nation

Munster

Remember him well. Hate to hear that news, poor fella and his poor family.

big ginger 8

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Leinster

McGrath and Reidy among five players to depart Ulster at end of season https://the42.ie/5775043

Jack McGrath a rehabbing free agent but not retiring. That hip injury really did a number on him.

Amiga500

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Ulster

McGrath and Reidy among five players to depart Ulster at end of season https://the42.ie/5775043

Jack McGrath a rehabbing free agent but not retiring. That hip injury really did a number on him.

Reidy carried us for a number of (very dark) years - pretty much doing the work of the full back row at times. He's dropped down the pecking order now for whatever reason - prob best for him to move on. Goes with my thanks and gratitude.

JMcG's hips have destroyed him. Tbh, I'm not sure whether its in his long term interests to keep trying at it.

Another one I'd be concerned with the long term future of - Jordi Murphy. Last week he wasn't in the match squad, but was there for the pre-match warmup and stayed on the field after the match squad went in to the changing rooms - he then did a number of "sprints", whether it be cool down or a fitness test or whatever.

But fuk me. The fella wasn't running knee deep in water, he was running knee deep in superglue! There was heavy strapping on one knee and maybe that contributed - but it was alarmingly slow. I quite possibly could still run backwards as fast as he was sprinting*... and my knees and hamstrings are completely fuked.

*I'm genuinely not exaggerating here. 15 years ago I'd be quite confident of running backwards quicker than that!

munstermuffin

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Munster

Reidy carried us for a number of (very dark) years - pretty much doing the work of the full back row at times. He's dropped down the pecking order now for whatever reason - prob best for him to move on. Goes with my thanks and gratitude.

JMcG's hips have destroyed him. Tbh, I'm not sure whether its in his long term interests to keep trying at it.

Another one I'd be concerned with the long term future of - Jordi Murphy. Last week he wasn't in the match squad, but was there for the pre-match warmup and stayed on the field after the match squad went in to the changing rooms - he then did a number of "sprints", whether it be cool down or a fitness test or whatever.

But fuk me. The fella wasn't running knee deep in water, he was running knee deep in superglue! There was heavy strapping on one knee and maybe that contributed - but it was alarmingly slow. I quite possibly could still run backwards as fast as he was sprinting*... and my knees and hamstrings are completely fuked.

*I'm genuinely not exaggerating here. 15 years ago I'd be quite confident of running backwards quicker than that!
All lads for all provinces not in match day 23 do that work

Amiga500

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Ulster

All lads for all provinces not in match day 23 do that work
The cool down or be a support group on the warmup?

Either way - doesn't change where I was going with it - he's so slow its definitely going to affect quick supporting of rucks and running an openside's support lines.

munstermuffin

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Munster

The cool down or be a support group on the warmup?

Either way - doesn't change where I was going with it - he's so slow its definitely going to affect quick supporting of rucks and running an openside's support lines.
He may have been going through motions like if not part of 23 you would do additional shuttle runs etc when 23 go in before game and after game assist with warm up

Amiga500

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Ulster

He may have been going through motions like if not part of 23 you would do additional shuttle runs etc when 23 go in before game and after game assist with warm up

Body language was not of a man going through the motions* unfortunately.

*clarify: By this I mean - he was pumping as hard as he could. Easy to see in the body language.

munstermuffin

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Munster

Body language was not of a man going through the motions* unfortunately.

*clarify: By this I mean - he was pumping as hard as he could. Easy to see in the body language.
Hopefully not as I like Jordi. Do know he had a child recently too so maybe the new routine isn't a smooth transition

big ginger 8

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag

Ireland

Club or Nation

Leinster

Marty Moore stood down for concussion. JTA signing good timing...