• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Ultimate Fate of the Universe

S

Sir Speedy

Yes, it is a depressing topic to think about (although I don't know why, since we will all be dead by the time the Universe ends, if it does), but it is also an interesting one. I'd like to hear your opinions on this topic: Will it end? How will it end? A lot of the theories on Wikipedia require you to know about the different theories of the Universe's shape and how this affects how it may end, so I'd advise people who are interested in the topic to view the Wiki-page:

Ultimate Fate of the Universe

"The ultimate fate of the universe is a topic in physical cosmology. Many possible fates are predicted by rival scientific theories, including futures of both finite and infinite duration. Once the notion that the universe started with a Big Bang became accepted by a consensus of scientists, the ultimate fate of the universe became a valid cosmological question, one depending upon the physical properties of the mass/energy in the universe, its average density, and the rate of expansion."

universe.gif

Map of the Universe. ly = Light-Year.

Heat Death

"The heat death is a possible final state of the universe, in which it has "run down" to a state of no thermodynamic free energy to sustain motion or life. In physical terms, it has reached maximum entropy."

Big Rip

"The Big Rip is a cosmological hypothesis first published in 2003, about the ultimate fate of the universe, in which the matter of the universe, from stars and galaxies to atoms and subatomic particles, is progressively torn apart by the expansion of the universe at a certain time in the future."

Big_rip.gif

Animation of a galaxy undergoing the Big Rip.

Big Crunch

"In physical cosmology, the big crunch is one possible scenario for the ultimate fate of the universe, in which the metric expansion of space eventually reverses and the universe recollapses, ultimately ending as a black hole singularity."

Big_crunch.png

The Big Crunch. All matter in our universe contracting into a singularity.

Multiverse

"The multiverse (or meta-universe) is the hypothetical set of multiple possible universes (including our universe) that together comprise all of reality. The different universes within the multiverse are sometimes called parallel universes or dimensions. The structure of the multiverse, the nature of each universe within it and the relationship between the various constituent universes, depend on the specific multiverse hypothesis considered."

Multiverse_-_level_II.GIF

Drawing of parallel universes (or multiverses) lying on top of each other.

False Vacuum

"If the vacuum is not in its lowest energy state (a false vacuum), it could tunnel into a lower energy state. This is called the vacuum metastability event. This has the potential to fundamentally alter our universe; in more audacious scenarios even the various physical constants could have different values, severely affecting the foundations of matter, energy, and spacetime. It is also possible that all structures will be destroyed instantaneously, without any forewarning."

So what are your thoughts on these theories? I mean, if you have anything else to add, your opinions on what could happen then go ahead and share them.

According to St. John and his Appocolypse (otherwise known as the Book of Revelation [Chapter 28]):
<blockquote>1 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. 2 And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, <blockquote> "See, the home of God is among mortals.
He will dwell with them as their God;
they will be his peoples,
and God himself will be with them;
4 he will wipe every tear from their eyes.
Death will be no more;
mourning and crying and pain will be no more
for the first things have passed away."
</blockquote>5 And the one who was seated on the throne said, "See, I am making all things new."...
</blockquote>So, yeah, I'm going with this theory, however highly contested it will be. I believe part of the Redemption Story in Christianity is not only salvation for humankind but restoration of all of God's Creation.

Fair enough, I'm just happy someone replied. :( [/b]
I think the reason that there has only been one reply is that we've already had debates and arguments about questions such as this and everyone wants to steer clear. However, I will say this.

I'd prefer to welcome theories that have been worked feverently on by scientists as opposed to believing an old style text book that was written by propagandists (that might sound a bit extreme, but thats the gist of it).

Ahh, but they are topics that are totally different to my own. They are related in some ways, but the connections are tiny. I VONT DISCUSHION NAO!!! :( :mellow: :p

No matter what the fate of the universe will be, each and every die-hard with views on creationism will attribute each scientific theory to that of God.

Pfft, regardless, I was just curious to hear people's thoughts on this topic. Perhaps I should have put "Religion has no place here!" in the topic ***le, but oh well...

I just thought it would be an interesting discussion to have since we haven't had one like this (at least I think) for a while. If someone would actually like to contribute without intervening with the matter of religion, then it'd be great. Honestly. I wanted to know whether the TRF population believed that the Universe will remain constant for infinite or if it will end due to reasons stated above or otherwise. I didn't want to get a whole "science v religion" thing going.

Rightio then.

In my opinion the universe has to end. Everything will burnt out. Each and every sun, white dwarf, red giant etc will use up its resources eventually and just become dormant, apart from this plenty of other things will happen too. Quite simply, a massive inequality will occur.

Rightio then, but what are we supposed to be discussing?...

Which way we would prefer the universe to end?

:)
[/b]
Oh the satire....but seriously, read my edit.

<div class='quotemain'>
Rightio then, but what are we supposed to be discussing?...

Which way we would prefer the universe to end?

:)
[/b]
Oh the satire....but seriously, read my edit. [/b][/quote]

In that case, read my edit as well ;)
|
|
|
\/
In my opinion the universe has to end. Everything will burnt out. Each and every sun, white dwarf, red giant etc will use up its resources eventually and just become dormant, apart from this plenty of other things will happen too. Quite simply, a massive inequality will occur. [/b]

"In that case, read my edit aswell ;)" - Ahhhh shuuuuuuuut uuuuuuup. :p

Heh, well, I think we got to a relevant point, finally. Now I think I'll go to bed. >_> 'night.

EDIT: Before I go, that actually got me thinking: When will everything burn out? Quite difficult to comprehend, so I won't even bother as it's impossible to comprehend (especially at this hour).

Don't Think it will Matter to us Posting Here As we will be long dead but the Sun Will pop and that will be that :)

Pfft, regardless, I was just curious to hear people's thoughts on this topic. Perhaps I should have put "Religion has no place here!" in the topic ***le, but oh well...

I just thought it would be an interesting discussion to have since we haven't had one like this (at least I think) for a while. If someone would actually like to contribute without intervening with the matter of religion, then it'd be great. Honestly. I wanted to know whether the TRF population believed that the Universe will remain constant for infinite or if it will end due to reasons stated above or otherwise. I didn't want to get a whole "science v religion" thing going. [/b]

For more time than not, science and religion have been hand in hand. It's only recently that people have tried to completely seperate the two. My view lines up with the idea that this universe will indeed end. So, from a religeous view, I'm just backing that idea up. Those threads definitely relate to this as they moved on to this sort of debate.

Rightio then.

In my opinion the universe has to end. Everything will burnt out. Each and every sun, white dwarf, red giant etc will use up its resources eventually and just become dormant, apart from this plenty of other things will happen too. Quite simply, a massive inequality will occur. [/b]
2nd law of thermodynamics. :D

Well Jesus said he is going to save all the believers in the Rapture so I will be partying it up in heaven with 72 virgins while the hordes of the devil roam the Earth killing the sinners....

And are you calling Jesus a liar?

This morning, i had the best toasted cheese sandwiches ever. Added a little ham and bacon, and i had a memorable morning. :)

This morning, i had the best toasted cheese sandwiches ever. Added a little ham and bacon, and i had a memorable morning. :) [/b]
Why ham AND bacon??? The more the better I suppose :D

Wait a second...what does this have to do with the topic?!

Well Jesus said he is going to save all the believers in the Rapture so I will be partying it up in heaven with 72 virgins while the hordes of the devil roam the Earth killing the sinners....

And are you calling Jesus a liar? [/b]
Depends if he says god is real or not. :bana:

[/b]

Yes. Simply yes.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

Yes. Simply yes.
[/b][/quote]
Well enjoy eternal damnation, I'll send you a postcard.

Latest posts