• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Voice of Rugby R.I.P.

S

SmokeyMonkey

Commentator Bill McLaren, known popularly as the "voice of rugby" has died at the age of 86.

Mr McLaren, from Hawick, retired in 2002 and received an OBE, CBE and MBE for services to the sport.

He began commentating even before his 10th birthday by copying the voices he heard on the radio.

He went on to earn the respect of players, fans, and spectators by being the best-researched commentator rugby had ever seen.

_948976_mclaren300.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S617AieOPJo

Best commentator ever! R.I.P.

The best there was, the best there is and the best there will ever be.

I'm sorry, Southern Hemisphere, but none of your guys will ever hold a candle to the great Bill McLaren.

RIP mate.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Jan 19 2010, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

I'm sorry, Southern Hemisphere, but none of your guys will ever hold a candle to the great Bill McLaren.

RIP mate.[/b]

I think Hugh Bladen comes close.

Anyway RIP, he was the voice of my early childhood back in the olden days when players were skinny and unpaid. Wonderful commentator.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Jan 19 2010, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
They'll be dancing on the streets of heaven tonight.[/b]

Yes indeed. Sir Bill will be commentating on all those rugby greats playing the greatest game in heaven.

a class above and a gentleman to boot. Sad day and condolences to his family. Made the match that more enjoyable knowing he was commentating as he'd always come out with a few gems.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

RIP Bill, some fantastic moments - Wales Vs England 1999 will always be my favourite!

Which prat did not knight him?

Part of my early rugby upbringing watching a video about Wales' team during the 70's with him commentating.

R.I.P Bill McLaren OBE CBE MBE

What a legend he was and still will be.Can remember how nice it was hearing him commentate in EA Sports Rugby 2001.

R.I.P Bill

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Jan 19 2010, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Was he? I remember him in JLR but none in 2001... :S[/b]

Here are some facts :p from Wikipedia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Career

McLaren studied Physical Education in Aberdeen, and went on to teach PE in different schools in Hawick right through to 1987.[1] He coached several Hawick youngsters who went on to play for Scotland, including Jim Renwick, Colin Deans and Tony Stanger.[1]

McLaren's journalistic career started as a junior reporter with the Hawick Express.[1] In 1953, he made his national debut for BBC Radio, covering Scotland's 12–0 loss to Wales.[1] He switched to television commentary six years later.[1] McLaren was one of many post-war commentators who progressed from commentating on BBC Radio to BBC Television during the infancy of televsion broadcasting in the UK. These included Murray Walker (motor racing), Peter O'Sullevan (horse racing), Harry Carpenter (boxing and rowing), Dan Maskell (tennis), David Coleman (athletics), Peter Allis (golf) and John Arlott (cricket).[1]

Recognition of his services came in November 2001, when he became the first non-international to be inducted into the International Rugby Hall of Fame. He was awarded an MBE in 1992, an OBE in 1995 and a CBE in the 2003 honours list. A Facebook group, backed by over 6,000 members, was campaigning to gain a knighthood for McLaren. [2]

McLaren also featured as a commentator on the video games Jonah Lomu Rugby and EA Rugby 2001.

During his final commentary, Wales v Scotland in 2002, the crowd sang "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow"[3] and one Welsh supporter displayed a banner claiming "Bill McLaren is Welsh".[/b]

RIP.
The guy new his stuff, and was entertaining to listen to, these days generally it's one or the other.

The ones you don't hear so often: mad giraffes, octopuses, buffalos, baby faced assassins and ... three pounds o' haggis!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kJeXO692_w0&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kJeXO692_w0&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Jan 20 2010, 04:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

I'm sorry, Southern Hemisphere, but none of your guys will ever hold a candle to the great Bill McLaren.RIP mate.[/b]
While I hate these comments, as they make me jump on my high horse, and as much as I like Keith Quinn as a commentator, I admit that the voice of rugby for me is Bill McLaren. Oddly enough he has entered my thought more then ever in recent weeks. I recorded on ESPN a Heineken Cup Match and the American commentator who talks before and after the match was the worst I've ever heard in my life. You can tell he is flicking through papers to try and remember names, and uses line like "Oh no he didn't". And I was thinking to myself how much I miss McLaren commentate. All ways knowledgeable and all ways dignified, I don't think Rugby will ever see another great commentator like that of Bill McLaren. RIP and my condolences to his family. He will be missed.

I'm sure I'm as sad as anyone who has heard of Bill's passing.

Currently, there are a number of facebook campaigns, one to have Bill posthumously Knighted, which is a lovely sentiment, but such awards are rare
And another to have a stand at Murrayfield stadium dedicated in his honour.

If you'd be proud to sit in the "Bill Mclaren stand", then please email the Scottish rugby Union, and ask them to do just that.

[email protected]

I feel it would be a great tribute to a great man.

Facebook link here.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.ph...1234&ref=mf

Please pass this to family and friends, and any other forums you may be a member of.

thank you.

RIP Bill.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jan 19 2010, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The ones you don't hear so often: mad giraffes, octopuses, buffalos, baby faced assassins and ... three pounds o' haggis!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kJeXO692_w0&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kJeXO692_w0&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/b]

What was the one he used on Bryan Redpath

"he's as slippery as a ....."

Latest posts