• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The worst display of refereeing i have ever seen

Another example of poor referring was the Hurricanes - Sharks game

First the questionable penalty try awarded to the Sharks because the Hurricanes allegedly collapsed the maul. Then Sharks got away with early tackles to prevent a last gasp try for the Hurricanes.

The Blues were lucky last week and now the Sharks are lucky to have come away with two points.

Yeah I was at the stadium watching the Hurricanes vs Sharks and I'm ****** off that stupid rookie ref just called the game up full time instead of taking a look at Conrad Smith being held back.

He just walked right off the field while everyone was left in shock, even Hurricanes captain Rodney So'oialo didn't wanna talk after the whistle blew so he obviously wasn't happy about the call.

I still don't even know what call the ref made I'm assuming he called a fumble by Hurricanes for him to end the game.

That last decision was the most God-awful bit of crap refereeing I have ever seen, worse even that Wayne Barnes' incompetent display at Cardiff

1st. Conrad Smith neyer even touched the ball after it was kicked through

2nd. He was held back in the in-goal so Marks could have gone to the TMO

3rd. No Sharks players grounded the ball in-goal

4th. Andrew Hore (?) may have grounded the ball.

Now the mistakes he made were

1. Did not consult with his touch judge at all over the incident,
2. He TWICE didn't go to the TMO in a dubious situation when the protocols allowed it,
3. If he thought Smith had knocked it on, he didn't call or signal that ruling, he simple blew for full time,

Earlier in the game, he stuffed up the new law about the corner flag and had to be corrected by his touch judge after initially over-ruling him.

The guy is a totally incompetent ass who is only refereeing at this level because there is an unofficial quota of referees from each tri-nations country.

The Hurricanes need to make a formal complaint about him. This is one of those situations where I agree with those who say that the match referee should have to front up at a press conference and justify these kinds of crap decisions or admit they got it wrong. The careers of players and coaches depend on their results, so that last thing we need is sub-standard and incompetent referees controlling games

That last decision was the most God-awful bit of crap refereeing I have ever seen, worse even that Wayne Barnes' incompetent display at Cardiff

1st. Conrad Smith neyer even touched the ball after it was kicked through

2nd. He was held back in the in-goal so Marks could have gone to the TMO

3rd. No Sharks players grounded the ball in-goal

4th. Andrew Hore (?) may have grounded the ball.

Now the mistakes he made were

1. Did not consult with his touch judge at all over the incident,
2. He TWICE didn't go to the TMO in a dubious situation when the protocols allowed it,
3. If he thought Smith had knocked it on, he didn't call or signal that ruling, he simple blew for full time,

Earlier in the game, he stuffed up the new law about the corner flag and had to be corrected by his touch judge after initially over-ruling him.

The guy is a totally incompetent ass who is only refereeing at this level because there is an unofficial quota of referees from each tri-nations country.

The Hurricanes need to make a formal complaint about him. This is one of those situations where I agree with those who say that the match referee should have to front up at a press conference and justify these kinds of crap decisions or admit they got it wrong. The careers of players and coaches depend on their results, so that last thing we need is sub-standard and incompetent referees controlling games

[/b]

You're one smart cooky, Smartcooky :wacko:

But you're right, geez he didn't even go to the TMO at all, with it being a crucial decision. Is he a new ref? because he can't use the ooooold "its my first day" excuse.

Gee, Tialata's sending off brought back some paaaainful memories. Maybe W.Barnes was his mentor the marnus

[/b]

thats the thing ehy, because i know if it was alloud, so many coaches would bag the ref when they lose. its easy because the fact is, every game refs make mistakes. and when a team feels theyve been hard done by, they say that some decisions didnt go their way. a good sporting team, would still say that, but are all teams good teams? chances are: no.

but then what you said - the careers of the players and coaches depend on it. being a bar manager, i know that if one of my bartenders serves a triple, serves a drunk or a minor - thats my carrer gone. one person, sure, there is more lee-way on the feild, but one person can ruin a player or coaches carrer.

Although most of the blame should go to the ref, the touch judges (especially the near touch judge) should get a fair bit of blame as well.
He has the power to call foul, especially in those nervous dying minutes, where precaution should practiced.

I Agree, referees should be cited just like players are, they have a high level job, and he could change the whole game with one bad or even good decision.
And being a strong Sharks supporter i still think that the Hurricanes were the winners of Saturdays game.

also in that hurricanes game in the 75th minute Hore got awarded a try and he didnt ground the ball.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4466959a1823.html
But Plumtree said it was too simplistic to say the match was decided on one call and revealed that Hurricanes hooker Andrew Hore had told him he had not grounded the ball when he was awarded a try in the 75th minute.[/b]

The thing I don't like is that I was enjoying being at the stadium watching the game live and thinking we had won, than the stupid ref just walks off the field with no consequences. It's because of bad calls like this people are being turned away from the game of rugby. Why watch a good game for 79min when in the 80th min the games result can be decided by the ref and not the players? it's totally f*****.

So the only thing that will happen is that this ref will miss out on some games and probably be a touch judge for some. But he's already done his damage and now I have to watch my favourite team struggle from 6th place when they could of already been in the top 4 had it not been for poor refereeing.

I reckon the ref knew but didn't want the 'canes to win... to walk off like that after the game... he damn knew it

I reckon the ref knew but didn't want the 'canes to win... to walk off like that after the game... he damn knew it [/b]

He had a friggin grin on his face after he blew the whistle!

Barnes looks like a saint ( COUGHBULLSHIT!!) after that complete arse in charge of the
cains v sharks game.

Paul Marks has admitted he made a mistake disallowing the last try...read here

And Marks' is due to be an assistant referee for the Western Force - NSW Waratahs match.... :%#%#:
He better no mess up....Again <_<

I'm of the opinion that whenever a person puts on a referee uniform and attempts to referee a part of their brain dies.

However....

Nothing really rugby union-wise sticks out as particulary shite performance.Referee's are pretty anonymous in rugby union.

I honestly dont know how the Sharks managed to escape that stadium, what with the ref up their asses and all. Absolute joke that was. I feel for the Hurricanes.

Aren't the touch judges supposed to be "assistant referees" now?

Why are they not fulfilling their duties?

Lineouts are as crooked as ever, and they're not chiming in when they're supposed to enforce offsides.

In the Brumbies v Chiefs game, Kaplan and his assistants failed to rule on the offside that led to one of the Chiefs' tries, and also failed to enforce the new rules when he awarded a full arm penalty that led to another Chiefs try. If the quality of refereeing had of been up to a more professional standard that could've been a closer game.

Unfortunately in rugby there are too many instances where referees' incompetance can effect the result.

The Sharks v Canes is one perfect example, but there are so many others.

Anyways, don't get me started about the inconsistencies in the way that the breakdown is managed. It makes me want to pull my hair out.

In the Brumbies v Chiefs game, Kaplan and his assistants failed to rule on the offside that led to one of the Chiefs' tries, and also failed to enforce the new rules when he awarded a full arm penalty that led to another Chiefs try. If the quality of refereeing had of been up to a more professional standard that could've been a closer game.
[/b]

Which two tries are you refering to? If you mean the Waqasaduadua (or whatever :p) try, he was on side when the ball left the ruck if you look at it. I don't know what Penalty call you are refering to, I assume it was a kick into touch though? Refs can award penalties if an offence is comitted over and over again.

Paul Marks has admitted he made a mistake disallowing the last try...read here

And Marks' is due to be an assistant referee for the Western Force - NSW Waratahs match.... :%#%#:
He better no mess up....Again <_<

[/b]

At least he owned up to it, unlike Wayne "I'm Pwaddys Star Weferee" Barnes.

I've started to notice sheedy refereeing ever since Paul Honiss in the game SA v Ireland a few years back, who told Smit to talk to his forwards because they were infringing, And as Smit was still talking to his players, Ogara tapped and scored a try... . And Paul Honiss still awarded the try... Now thats a marnus!

Latest posts