• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The worst display of refereeing i have ever seen

The worst refereeing decision I ever experienced was the award of an "own try" (as in own goal) when our fullback touched the ball down behind our own posts. Our sports teacher was so incenced he made us all leave the field of play until the decision had been changed.

<div class='quotemain'>
In the Brumbies v Chiefs game, Kaplan and his assistants failed to rule on the offside that led to one of the Chiefs' tries, and also failed to enforce the new rules when he awarded a full arm penalty that led to another Chiefs try. If the quality of refereeing had of been up to a more professional standard that could've been a closer game.
[/b]

Which two tries are you refering to? If you mean the Waqasaduadua (or whatever :p) try, he was on side when the ball left the ruck if you look at it. I don't know what Penalty call you are refering to, I assume it was a kick into touch though? Refs can award penalties if an offence is comitted over and over again.
[/b][/quote]

He never retreated to an onside position.

I believe Kaplan awarded a full arm penalty because Adam Ashley-Cooper didn't release the ball.

I believe Kaplan awarded a full arm penalty because Adam Ashley-Cooper didn't release the ball.
[/b]
As ChiefsFan said, the ref can increase the penalty to a full arm if it is deemed that the team has offended time and time again....

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
As ChiefsFan said, the ref can increase the penalty to a full arm if it is deemed that the team has offended time and time again....
[/b][/quote]

Except that wasn't the case... the Brumbies hadn't offended time and time again at that stage... and it was only for a player not releasing the ball when the Brumbies had very little ball at that stage in the game...

Kaplan even acknowledged that he'd awarded the wrong penalty...

Thats what sux about rugby is the refs can come out and say yes they made a mistake but you watch nothing will be done about it it's always just swept to the side with no consequences.

Our refs are killing rugby and I think it's about time they take responsibility for their mistakes too instead of everyone saying oh just get over it.

Jawmalawm24, what do you suggest we do?
Ban them for a few games? Give them a fine?

We're not exactly spoilt for choice when it comes to refs. It's a tough job nobody wants to do.

Worst ref:

Sa vs Ireland(i think) +-2006
- Told John Smit to talk to his men... John turned his back.. player came together... Ireland took the penelty and scored a try while John was talking to his players.

how about that hit on braith anasta, which we had a video on that thread. that was shocking.

but that nz vs england game was real bad in 2003 i think, or even 02, just before the world cup. the ref blew his whistel a record amount of times, if my memory serves me right...

I'd just like to take this opportunity to award Steve Walsh as 'man of the match' for the Stormers against the Brumbies.

That absolutley mind-boggling decision to award a penalty try to the Stormers and yellow card Lealiifano to shut the Brumbies out of the game in the first half was pure genius. And then not to use the same backwards judgement to yellow card Bobo and award the Brumbies a penalty try later on was just magic.

I mean, both occasions didn't warrant a penalty try, but I think it was just great of you to look one way.

I'm also glad to see that you still haven't got a grasp of the ELV's.

Great work Walsh. I'd been a fan of yours, until about half an hour ago.

I agree, absolutely NO AUSSIES to ref any games, lets rather fly a pom or a paddy in, I mean really, take any good game they will find a way to twist it with some bizarre technical reffing that just totally destroys the whole spectacle, players get frustrated and the next thing you know they are throwing punches at each other.

Any game that Willie Roos controls is the worst ever. I am a ref making my way up the ranks and hell that gay are always making dumb decisions.

Latest posts