• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

They all said it was a matter of time...

S

Steve-o

All my friends told me it just a matter of time before it happens.

Today was officially the 1st day I fell off my motorcycle since I bought it a year ago.

My knees and elbows are practically just a big roasties now (i hear the medical term is 'tar burn' :blink: ), other than that it's just my left wrist that's a bit swollen and a cut on my calf from the rear sprocket.

It happened when I was busy taking a right bend at about 40 km/h, and I guess the combination of water from the rain and the fine sand on the road from the construction site just made my front tyre give way. As I was falling the shoe laces on my left shoe some how got caught around the gear lever, so the bike dragged me a bit (about 20 meters). Luckily I got freed before it hit the sidewalk and I rolled (for about 10 meters) into a gutter.

Again 'lucky' for me there was an elderly woman behind me, who stopped and assisted me. After she made sure I was ok, she asked if I played rugby because she reckons I rolled like I knew what I was doing :lol:

The bike doesn't look too bad, luckily only the front unit that houses the headlight and indicators got damaged. No dents or scratches on the body work that I could see, which is amazing. Haven't taken a picture yet as it's still raining but I'll take one before it goes into repairs on Monday.

I won't stop riding motorcycles as I really enjoy them. After a long day there's nothing better than getting on your bike and riding.

Anybody have a similar experience?

Ouch, sounds painful. Any chance of a pic of the wounds? :D Also, surely you'd be more concerned about yourself than the bike! - "The bike doesn't look too bad.."
-.-'

All the wounds are covered with bandages.
When your bike is your only mode of transport you get let that :p

Two cousins killed on motorcycles. Your folks are ******** themselves every second of your life - believe me.

Yeah I have been a bit wary of riding bikes. You know who is gonna be worse off in ANY type of crash.

The only story I have was riding a ten speed drunk going home from a party and crashing into a tree.

Steve-o,

Were you wearing any protective gears?
What bike you riding?

I ride daily and its either Kevlar Jeans or Cordura Armoured Pants, Leather Gloves and Cordura/Synthetic Jacket and riding boots, havent crash tested any of my gear yet but undoubtedly it will occur at some stage.

Ive got me a Aprilia Futura, 1000cc Sport Tourer, only been riding since Nov 2006 and absolutley love it.

Whoa! I only ride a Yamaha YBR 250cc, I'm still a student. But it's good on petrol which is a huge plus.

I've got no leathers, just a wicked Nitro Racing helmet and gloves. I only drive around town so I don't think that's too nessesary. I just try wear jeans and a jacket, luckily I was cause my jeans are ripped to ****.

Buy leathers or if you have the mulla get kevlar man, biking is just that (as you obviously know), it's not if you fall of, it's when.

Sounds like you were being sensible, and it was obviously bad luck, if you had the proper gear (yeah it's expensive and uncomfortable) you'd be in good nick. Also, get boots man, if you're riding a motard get some fox boots. They have metal banding to protect your toes, and most importantly, provide adequate ankle protection. Ankle injuries are some of the most common in bike accidents, oh and boots don't have laces :D

Seriously hit your parents up for protective gear, with your injuries they'll probably be rather agreeable.

Yeah I thought motorcycles were cool until I heard a guy had a crash and messed up his crown jewels. The doctor to perform surgery and use a implant on it but its not functioning as well as it used to. His soldier has a hard time saluting if you know what I mean. I think i'll stick to a well functioning penis thank you very much.

Buy leathers or if you have the mulla get kevlar man, biking is just that (as you obviously know), it's not if you fall of, it's when.

Sounds like you were being sensible, and it was obviously bad luck, if you had the proper gear (yeah it's expensive and uncomfortable) you'd be in good nick. Also, get boots man, if you're riding a motard get some fox boots. They have metal banding to protect your toes, and most importantly, provide adequate ankle protection. Ankle injuries are some of the most common in bike accidents, oh and boots don't have laces :D

Seriously hit your parents up for protective gear, with your injuries they'll probably be rather agreeable.

[/b]

Yeah leathers are looking like a very attractive option now, they probably slide better than jeans. But I'm not so sure about wearing them everyday, especially riding boots. I'm away studying 600 km from home so I don't stay near my parents, so I bike everywhere for anything. I mean, I buy groceries with my bike! I'm constantly bouncing between my place, campus, my work and the grocery store.

I've never tried leathers on, are they really that uncomfortable?

I must confess man, i've never worn proper biking leathers as I haven't touched a bike since we moved off a property, so I always wore the nylon fox gear which doesn't offer too much protection on tarmac.

My brother on the other hand has always worn leathers, and constantly moans about how uncomfortable it is in hot weather. If that's a problem, you can buy kevlar pants which have protected vents in them. That's a good option, it might be more expensive but if you're going to continue riding for a while, a good investment.

Also, without being too superficial, kevlar gear won't look silly on a dirt bike. While i find leathers can look a bit homo :p

I must confess man, i've never worn proper biking leathers as I haven't touched a bike since we moved off a property, so I always wore the nylon fox gear which doesn't offer too much protection on tarmac.

My brother on the other hand has always worn leathers, and constantly moans about how uncomfortable it is in hot weather. If that's a problem, you can buy kevlar pants which have protected vents in them. That's a good option, it might be more expensive but if you're going to continue riding for a while, a good investment.

Also, without being too superficial, kevlar gear won't look silly on a dirt bike. While i find leathers can look a bit homo :p [/b]

I have a road bike so the homo factor should be less lol

I don't think I'll be getting anything soon though since the repairs are gonna put me back £ 226 (UK). Damn rip off. Gonna go to their workshop tomorrow and make them 'an offer can't refuse' :D

Thanks for the advise

About 6 days after I got my motorbike licence for the first time, I had an idiot school mum in a big Toyota Landcruiser with bullbar u-turn in to me in a school zone. One of the scariest things that has ever happened to me. Lucky she saw me out of the corner of her eye when she smashed me, or she would have run over the top of me I'd say (such was the angle)

Was wearing jeans and a pretty tough Dry Rider so all I got was a couple of bruised bones and grazes.

Went to the Yamaha workshop today and managed to get the price down to £133. They wanted to replace everything that had a scratch on it, which is totally understandable as I look like a high roller with my gold student card and pootie tang belt.

Latest posts