• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Things I need to know about High School Rugby?

remix613

Academy Player
Hi, I live in Canada and I'm on the Juniors Rugby Team.
I joined kinda late so I'm not particularly familiar with the positions, terms, penalties, rules etc.
All I know is that there are 15 players on the field from your team, 8 fowards the rest defence.

Also what position would I play if:

-5'7, 140 pounds
-Very good at tackling
-Good leg strength
-Very fast
-Primary focus is defence
-Aggressive
-Good with long passes
-Not good at catching kicks.

From those stats I'd advise Flanker or Centre.

One thing you said up there was that there are 8 forwards and the rest are defense, in rugby it doesn't work like that. All players have to attack and defend although some positions more so than others. The positions I've said that you could play are both very important defensive positions where you can't afford to miss too much tackles and they are also important offensively. The more technical of the positions is flanker as you would be open side because of your size so if you want to start out in the easier of the positions try centre if not try flanker. And don't be afraid to throw yourself about a few positions because that's the only way you're going to find your favorite position.

You're pretty light, so if you have a good pass and a decent bit of pace I'd advise you have a look at scrum half. Scrum half is essentially the guy who passes the ball to the backs after the ruck is formed. Obviously since the main duty is passing, that's the main skill you'd need to work on, but getting to rucks as quickly as possible to ensure quick ball is important too. I'd imagine it's a fairly good position to start off in too, because if you're in doubt, just try to pass to the nearest available man and keep your team moving forward.

Here's a video of Ulster scrum half Paul Marshall going through some stuff you could practise if you do end up playing there.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJX5GqBRZAc

[/URL]
The best advice I can give you though is to talk to your coach. He'll be able to judge better than us what your strengths are.

There's a good chance you won't get to pick which position to play, but your coach will decide upon it after a few training sessions to see what you're capable of / what the team is lacking. You might find that you'll be started on the wing (especially as you've got some pace), because this is one of the easier positions to pick up. If that's the case, don't be afraid to come in field during attacking moves to search for the ball and get involved in the game, or you might find that the ball simply never reaches you out there.

I think the most important thing to do is get stuck in during training and try and show what qualities you can bring to the table. There's obviously a number of positions in the forwards we can eliminate based on your physique, but after that it's very difficult for us to advise you without seeing you train/play. Ultimately it appears that flanker, scrum half, centres or wings is where you'll be played.

Good luck, and most importantly have fun.

Latest posts