Things my partner said during the rugby

Umaga's Witness

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
Something I've been wanting to do for around ten years now, and I'm really disappointed I haven't… hopefully others can contribute to this…

My partner can be pretty annoying when we are watching the rugby. For example joking around when the game is serious! Or just blabbing on about stuff irrelevant to the game. Like commenting on someone hair. Worse is when she asks me a question about it. Or sometimes she just says funny stuff. Anyway there's been some gold over the years that I haven't managed to record, but I thought I'd try starting to record some of it.

Hopefully others can join in. Please separate instances i to separate posts so people can comment or like them separately. And when it's important, do add context.

Context: during tense last ten minutes of second all blacks springboks test of 2021

Her: *snort* I'm don't know why this came into my head but I was thinking, what if you had a tattoo on the back of your neck and it was just a peanut in a shell.
Context: after end of second all blacks springboks test of 2021.

Her: I think tj and ofa have the same neck tattoo. [Starts cackling], one of them should have got a peanut

Mine is always asking "But what is this game for?"

Like this last ABs game.

So they've already won the competition?
Yeah.
So why are they playing?

Or Spring or Autumn tours.

Are they all playing in a competition?
No, they are all separate games.
So there's no trophy?
Well, some teams have trophies they play for against each other but there isn't an overall trophy.
So what's the point?

The worst thing is I don't even really know what the answer is.

She's Scottish though so I don't think she understands the concept of playing sport for the sake of sport.

My wife tends to support the team with the best looking guy in. She supported France for a while because of Morgan Parra, but went off him when she realised he was shorter than her.

She's been through most countries, but she's never supported England. Not sure what that says about us!

My favourite wife quotes when the rugby is on:

Why are England so bad, I thought they were supposed to be good (WC final)

Who is Will Greenwood, I've never heard of him. (After listening to him on sky for years and years).

I honestly cant recall the game nor the player, but i can remember the phrase, almost verbatim.

"I can understand how he (cant recall the player) can face a 130 mammoth running at him at full speed, go head in first and attempt to tackle him, putting his body on the line, facing considerable pain and completely disregarding his own safety while doing so. I get it and that's brave.
Now, wearing THAT jersey on live tele, that's flat out corageous. Like... daredevil material."

Hahah, your partner is very funny.
Thanks. A bit annoying too though haha.

Mine is always asking "But what is this game for?"

Like this last ABs game.

So they've already won the competition?
Yeah.
So why are they playing?

Or Spring or Autumn tours.

Are they all playing in a competition?
No, they are all separate games.
So there's no trophy?
Well, some teams have trophies they play for against each other but there isn't an overall trophy.
So what's the point?

The worst thing is I don't even really know what the answer is.

She's Scottish though so I don't think she understands the concept of playing sport for the sake of sport.
Oh man, Reading this, I can fully feel how irritating it would be

Forums gonna love this one…..

Context: all blacks giving wales a hiding.
Her: Bring back the gat. Their new coach may not be very good.

Last edited:
Context: beauden Barrets 100th test.

[About jordie] that's a terrible haircut, maybe he wants to make his brother feel better about himself. Or maybe he thinks he's got a nice haircut for his brothers special day.

Context - the odd time - before I went out to play a game

Wife "don't get hurt "

I'd invariably come back injured. Aghhhh! Just don't even say it, think it......

Latest posts