• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Thinking of starting rugby

Lukezilla91

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Leicester
Hello chaps, time for another one of these questions!

Basically, due to a few circumstances, and a rather nasty infection on a toenail, I gained quite a bit of weight, not massively but I ended up being uncomfortable with it.
I've ended up dropping some weight, but due to waiting lists and the like, I'm still no further with the toe.
I played a bit of rugby when I was at school (I'm 25 now) and would love to jump back in once I can get my fitness back and start running about.
I played on the wing back then but I was much smaller and quicker so I don't think it would suit me now.
Basically I'm asking for a bit of advice on which position might suit me.
I'm 5'10" and about 15 stone, although weight may go up/down depending on what kind of training I end up doing.
I'm fairly strong for an average kind of guy, but nothing exceptional, I can bench 70kgs, and deadlift about 115kgs if this helps anyone.
I'm looking forward to any kind of advice anyone can give me, and really looking forward to getting on the pitch!

Hi OP.

I'd recommend getting in touch with local clubs and getting down to training. Unfortunately the season is almost over but it's worth while showing face and then you can get info on when pre season training starts late July for my club.

I've been coaching this year after sustaining a nasty injury. Thing to remember this isn't the pros my club field a tier 5 side which is semi pro i.e. players are paid but they have full-time jobs. Even at this level players aren't pigeon holed into the moulds you'd expect from the pros we take what we can get basically.

You want to look at teams that have a 2nd, 3rd, or even fourth team which will allow you to play at a level which is fun and you can pick the game up. In our third team when young lads come to play we'll usually start them on the wing, it is in my opinion the easiest position to pick things up but like any position takes time and effort to master, you need pace and good hands to field kicks and while not really necessary at the lower leagues a good boot is a great tool to have in the arsenal.

In the forwards you could play anywhere other than second row perhaps. Loose forwards 6,7,8 suit the more mobile but still have the physicality to carry the ball into contact and tackle.

I think it depends how much you enjoy the physicality. If the thought of smashing lumps out of other big blokes appeals then aim for the forwards, if speed and guile (and looking pretty) appeal more then it's the backs. 10 is a difficult position that you wouldn't just step in to and to a lesser extent 12,13.

Hope this helps I'm sure any club local to you would be welcoming of any fresh meat if they're anything like my club. It's a brilliant sport, the social side of things can be even better than playing. The best way to get fit for rugby is to attend training where you'll do the sort of drills which will get you match fit.

Thanks a lot for the input!

I definitely enjoy more of a getting stuck in, physical role (and I'm certainly not pretty!) So once I can get stuck in I might aim for a back row forward position if possible.

I've exchanged e-mails with a couple of local clubs and I'm heading to one of them on Saturday, seems like they have a good selection of teams, and the guy I spoke to says they're always happy to have newbies on board.
Fingers crossed I can get my foot sorted sooner rather than later!

Latest posts