• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Third Test: Australia v British and Irish Lions (06/07/13)

I feel kind of bad that I prefer Halfpenny to Dagg - he doesn't have quite the same attacking abiilty, but he just never seems to have off days.

Personally I'd like to see him in the All Blacks playing somewhere other than wing - as he tends to make breaks through the middle of the field rather than having raw speed to exploit space on the outside.

That's one of the reasons why people have been calling for him to fill in at centre, I guess. He's actually not that fast for someone in the back three - I notice that he's rarely able to save a try once an opposition winger or fullback makes a linebreak (although he always tries his best), and it's probably one of the reasons why he doesn't score as many tries as you would expect for the amount of linebreaks he makes.
According to www.rugbystats.com.au (I'm not sure how accurate they are), he made 13 linebreaks (2nd only to Gear with 14) but only scored 5 tries (joint 13th). Although the most telling stat on that website might be that the Highlanders have three players in the top 15 linebreakers (Gear 1st, B Smith 2nd, Poki 9th) but none in try assists.

Last edited:
Just question for New Zealanders if Smith was so good why has he only few caps despite being around a few years? Like Dagg is younger and in my opinion better so is this just good form out of Smith as in it seems unlikely he would be the All Blacks 15 unless there injury

He only stepped up this year (kind of like Ranger in that regard). From what I can remember he was considered a bit of a journeyman before - solid, but nothing spectacular.

Just question for New Zealanders if Smith was so good why has he only few caps despite being around a few years? Like Dagg is younger and in my opinion better so is this just good form out of Smith as in it seems unlikely he would be the All Blacks 15 unless there injury

He isn't as good as some of the guys on here would have you believe.. Last season and (especially) this season he improved quite a lot like nemui says.

Ben Smith (how the hell di we get here on a lions thread :p ) has been great all year, but in the past he hasn't been as outstanding hes a great open field runner which is very impressive to watch perhaps leading to his hype even if he (like 1/2p) isn't the what hes made out to be.

Why not pick an even spread of players from each nation then? Would you like to see a series win or total representation from each nation? The lions tour will always be questioned with petty people questioning selection. I strongly suggest that you grow up and keep your comments rugby focused.

Why not pick an even spread of players from each nation then? Would you like to see a series win or total representation from each nation? The lions tour will always be questioned with petty people questioning selection. I strongly suggest that you grow up and keep your comments rugby focused.
Man at least try not act like a troll/WUM but if you want answer then here.
This is an opinion based site so anyone can air opinions if they want. And some people would rather keep a Lions spirit than win series in way it was. So as you should learn if you not a troll and plan hanging around people are allowed air views here and just because Lions won it doesn't make everyone say Gatland is right.

I got the vibe that he is seen as Conrad Smith's replacement rather than a full back in the long term?

:lol:

:lol: WJM comments were embarrising...the tour is in question??? what! u tell that to the thousands who saved supported and traveled...this is a proffesional era..mr Mcbride but out...the decision was made and the rite one.l. irish ignorance...hope ur proud irishman supporting mr wood and mr mcbride...

It's comments like this that give Welsh fans a bad reputation

:lol:

:lol: WJM comments were embarrising...the tour is in question??? what! u tell that to the thousands who saved supported and traveled...this is a proffesional era..mr Mcbride but out...the decision was made and the rite one.l. irish ignorance...hope ur proud irishman supporting mr wood and mr mcbride...

Here's the door
door-header.jpg

Now **** off.

thoroughly enjoyed this series, great win by the Lions in the end roll on 2017.

The main attributes of Leigh Halfpenny are not evident to those who are not familiar to his style of play. His work ethic, his heart, his self effacing attitude. Many words are written by those who do not know him but when the winning Lions captain AWJ says he is ''ICONIC'', one should take note.
He is one of the ''biggest'' rugby players in Wales and inked in for the 2017 Lions

I'm not saying Halfpenny wouldn't deserve it, it's just rugby simply isn't popular enough and a first Lions win in 12 years can't compete with first Wimbledon for a Brit (Scot) in however many years it was. The acid test is if the Lions game and the Tennis were on at the same time, which do you think would be shown on pub TVs? You also have the Tour De France and if Froome wins that he could potentially follow Wiggo and win SPOTY (although I think it's certain to be Murray now).

I'm not saying Halfpenny wouldn't deserve it, it's just rugby simply isn't popular enough and a first Lions win in 12 years can't compete with first Wimbledon for a Brit (Scot) in however many years it was. The acid test is if the Lions game and the Tennis were on at the same time, which do you think would be shown on pub TVs? You also have the Tour De France and if Froome wins that he could potentially follow Wiggo and win SPOTY (although I think it's certain to be Murray now).
Nobody expected Joe Calzaghe to win it in 2007, especially when he was up against Ricky Hatton and Lewis Hamilton.

Ben Smith has been great for about 3-4 years or so but up till now he's been stuck behind Toeava who consistently got selected ahead of him as the "utility back" (Ben Smith has the skills to play any position 10 - 15) I'm sure in hindsight the coaches regret that decision. Ben Smith would clearly have been the better option all along.

It's also true that this year his form has been so good even if Toeava was still around Smith would surely get the nod. At super rugby level Ben is the form player in the NZ game. And if a player of the series was named for the recent french series it would surely have been Ben Smith.

dont believe it when others say he's only been good this year, even going back to 2011 he was one of the leading meter runners and line/tackle breakers in super rugby with an astonishingly low error rate. He actually made his all blacks debut in 2010. He was clearly overlooked for selection based on his size, he's pretty small compared to Toeava or similar players in NZ.

I reckon Christian Cullen would still disintegrate all of these pretenders to the Fullback throne.

This.

Just was a query as in I'm huge fan of Dagg and can't see him being removed by an older guy. Add in unless you really amazing player the All Blacks sort of ignore you slightly after 30 so unless he starts producing world class from 13 and not 15 I'd doubt he will be replacement for Conrad who is a special player and will have few years left too. Add in I'm expecting Sonny Bill to be back eventually as the Lions coming in 2017 may be a carrot he fancies

Didn't Shane Williams have around the same number of caps at this point in his career?

(Ben Smith has 15 caps at 27 + a month old. Shane got his first cap 3 weeks shy of his 23rd birthday, and played 18 games in the 4 years following until he was 27 + a month old.)

Just saying that some players show class later in their careers... (don't know much about Smith)

And others just aren't picked in spite of their class *grumbling about JSD's lack of caps* or because of intense rivalry.

Last edited:

Latest posts