• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Third Test: Australia v British and Irish Lions (06/07/13)

I don't agree with BODs dropping but Its a nonetheless a big call! If it doesn't come off, Gatland will go down as one of the biggest clowns in Lions history.

The team lacks leadership, experience and cohesion. Gatlands obsession with Lydiate is clear and Tipuric unfairly misses out. The front five offers very little power. The bench is just lacklustre.

Australia but 6

Apparently George Smith is named at 7!! 6-2 split bench

1. Benn Robinson.
2. Stephen Moore
3. Ben Alexander
4. James Horwill ©
5. Kane Douglas
6. Ben Mowen
7. George Smith
8. Wycliff Palu

20. Ben McCalman

George Smith's inclusion is a major call. Experience of a 100+ tests will come in handy. He will relish this contest and make a big difference as the best pilferer from either squad......I hope he reads the ref right and does not give away too many penalities. Feel sorry for Liam Gill - he has played well in his brief stints and the fastest forward we havearound the park, but he ain't no George Smith....

Where has McCalman come from to get on the bench ???? What happened to Dave Dennis ...or Peter Kimlin for F*#&$ sake??:mad: I did not see this selection coming....McCalman has a point to prove over SOB after being demolished in RWC 2011. I've given up second guessing Deans....:huh:

Last edited:
Aus have got stronger as tests went on we have buckled. We now have to watch Wales play Ays and use Gatlands tactics. This is why Schmidt wasn't wanted in coaching ticket because he has an entertaining exciting style. Gatland wanted yes men who won't argue with him but back his bash tactics which he's failed to realise has a terrible record for Wales against SH teams.
On side note Wales in Aviva in 6 Nations will be fun for BOD.

Trying to be as reasonable and non-biased as possible here but...

Scrummaging - Should be great. Strongest possible unit, more or less.

Lineout - Youngs has - just about - been the form throwing hooker to date, but now he's dropped. Heaslip has been a major lineout target, dropped too. We've radically altered it, and not for the better. We now have no back rows who are used as regular lineout targets starting, and the weakest of the possible regular targets on the bench if we need to change it. Parling and Hibbard have been hung out to dry on this one.

Breakdown - I rate O'Brien, but he's not as good a groundhog as Warburton or Tipuric. We've also dropped the best jackal in the backs. None of the tight five forwards are particularly noted for their abilities here. At least we can change things a little with Cole and Tipuric. I'd say our breakdown capabilities have also gone down

Ball Carrying - Positive news with Roberts, O'Brien and Faletau all upgrades on the men they are replacing. Hopefully that will make a difference.

Leadership - We've lost our captain and also dropped one of the most (presumably) respected men in the team, as well as another guy with good leadership credentials. If AWJ gets injured or goes silent, who takes over? Roberts? Philips? Parling maybe? No leaders on the bench either.

While the changes probably do give us a better chance of executing Gatball and winning the game exclusively from the tight, we don't really seem to have any plan B, and will be executing it with a lack of leadership and a rickety set piece in the lineout. I also feel our defence looks a lesser beast on paper without Warburton and O'Driscoll. I am struggling to be optimistic and believe our best hope of winning lies in "accidentally" knocking on the ball every time we get within 40m of their posts.

Questions I'd ask:
What has Tom Youngs done to be dropped?
Same regards Heaslip?
If Mike Phillips was awful and worst out of 3 9's in tests then how is he straight back to #1?
Drop BOD but how to justify playing Davies? You say his partnership with Roberts well Roberts isn't fully fit and their partnership as a record against Aus shows pathetic results.
Parling is there as a token Englishman along with Corbs same as Gray on bench shows evens Scots have to have at least 1. Maitland and Grant both subbed and neither saw min of action. Overall a very poor coaching attitude.
Lineout will suffer, we in trouble at breakdown and all these changes will unsettle us while hype/debate over selections could hurt our lads as takes attention off Aus

this... this... Lions are solidly ****ed and Gatland should be hung for his crimes against the lions

I love the guy but if we lose the series I blame matt Stevens for supplying the copious amounts of cocaine that Gatland must have been smoking.

Bod dropped is just ridiculululululous! He's been playing as well as Davies. He's been quiet but everyone knows 'form is temporary, class is permanent'. He can make some magic and set a game aligt which I really don't think our current centres can do, tuilagi is the same sort of game changing player and i fell one of them should have been picked. I always felt Davies was just a stand in for Roberts in the first two tests. Davies is weak defensively from what I've seen. He was beaten by AAC and was embarrassed by bod back in the 6N just to give a few examples.

at scrumhalf, I'm not surprised. I feel youngs is a bit unlucky to be dropped entirely. He is different to the Phillips/Murray style scrumhalf and would have a greater impact off a bench with his change of tempo and style than bringing on the same person.

Heaslip dropped is strange as well. He has been very good in the two tests. He is a very clever player and has a massive workrate with tackles, carries and the breakdown. I'm not too bothered by the backrow though.

Im happy to see corbisiero back in, I was impressed with him earlier in the tour and mako is in his rightful place of an impact sub.

tom youngs is unlucky to be dropped as he did his job well and his line out has been better than hibbards all tour.

Last edited:
I don't understand Parling at 5, he is too lightweight, Ian Evans would have been the better choice as he has a great partnership with AWJ.Ritchie Gray would also be a better choice. Tipuric would be my first choice at 7 also

So you'd like a starting 15 of 12 Welsh.. Not at all one eyed...

Well that is a load of rubbish. I can see Sexton having a rough day surrounded by Welsh players.

Only 1 Welsh player on the bench? What is this nonsense? ;)

2009, B&I Lions 2nd test vs. Springboks @ Loftus Versveld...

nuff said...
I knew what you meant but this has potential to be worst. Anyway Saffas enjoyed that test because since that they've been nothing special.

Back on Tests. Interesting to hear too IF Roberts failed his fitness bid Cuthbert is on bench and Tuilagi starts

Thing is, even if we win this game it will feel like a shame.. I feel the home nations are closer than they have been for a long while, and I wanted to see that reflected in some of the teams.

As peat says, all our eggs are in the 'bash em in the scrums and with gatball basket'. We've even got gray on the bench for a bit of a shove. How happy can the lions be if the only dominant element of our game is the Scrum!?

wasnt confident before not at all confident now. I have not known a Lions test side so unsettled outside the 2005 debacle only 5 players have started all 3 tests. Gatland has effectively bottled it, Davis should have been dropped along with BOD, Hibbard gets the start at Hooker because...well I suppose its because Gatlands got to work with him in the future. Phillips? Only one consistent lineout jumper means no clean back ball. Pleased SOB and Falatau are starting but the whole backrow debate is/has been a complete red herring. The test matches have shown we have lacked any power in the midfield and we have also lacked an enforcer in the second row as good as AWJ is he isnt the same sort of player as a Simon Shaw/Martin Johnson. we really missed a nasty piece of work in the second row. Nathan Hines would have been perfect instead of the highly overrated Grey or Evans. Nevermind there is always New Zealand in 4 years time.

I think this is being overegged on SOME fronts... If gatland wants absolute scrum dominance then Hibbard makes sense, as does having Richie gray on the bench.. Even here, though, if he's that determined to milk every last bit of possible scrum dominance, why did he bother keeping mako on for so long last week!?

There's examples this week of him doing what should have been done last week, eg dropping Cuthbert, so that's good. There's no deliberate bias here, but this is the dictionary definition of 'going with what he knows'.

This is why Davis is a cock, I am mortally upset

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts