• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

This Is the Future starting 15.

J

Jockstap

I'm Bored, This is the Future Ireland Squad I tell you.

15 Kearney(If it ain't broke don't fix it)
14 Earls(I don't think he's intelligent enough to be a Centre)
13 Bowe(If the Lions showed us anything it's that Bowe's a playmaker.)
12 Fitzgerald(Everything this guy does with the ball is clever)
11 Jones(has out and out pace)
10 Sexton(Who else is there)
9 O'Leary(see above)
8 Heaslip(solid number 8)
7 O'Brien(younger clone of Wallace)
6 Ferris(Excellent Prospect)
5 Caldwell(I'm not that familiar with the two locks but everybody seems to think they're the next in line.)
4 Ryan
3 Ross(Who else?)
2 Cronin(good prospect)
1 Healy(could be one of the greats)

fin

pah I hate these things. You always stand to look the fool in about 4 years just for the fact that you cant predict wo will come on. You could easily make a case for Ian Keatley, Fergus McFadden, David Pollock or Devin Toner to be in there, ya know?

What about Darren Cave?
22035.jpg

He looks so happy in this picture...can't you find a spot for him in your future team?

pfff Bench. Well maybe. We'll see how he gets on this year. We got alot of young lads coming through in the backs. Bah I knew I forgot someone, Fionn Carr from Connacht. He'll be looking to weasel his way in

Well, I'm glad we have a lot of youngsters coming up...
This Magners League Season is going to be great.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Aug 26 2009, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What about Darren Cave?
He looks so happy in this picture...can't you find a spot for him in your future team?[/b]

Absolutely not. About time we returned to the times of obvious and unjustified Leinster bias.

Toner in Caldwell out!

You should probably include Strauss at hooker, and definately Brendan Macken (the newest O'Driscoll or the latest Fitzgerald) in or around those centre spots. All depends on how far forward your looking though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jockstrap @ Aug 26 2009, 04:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
7 O'Brien(younger clone of Wallace)[/b]
Interesting comparison and I think you're spot on. In the future time I see O'Brien switching to 7 full time with Dominic Ryan or Rhys Ruddock taking the Leinster blindside spot.

It's very tough to look at a potential starting 15 a few years in the future. For example, 5 years ago would anybody have thought that Tomas O'Leary, Jerry Flannery and at the other end of the scale John Hayes would be stalwarts of Irish rugby in 2009?

I'll hedge my bets and stick down who I think are the most talented uncapped players who could feature for Ireland in 2014 on a position by position basis.

15. Felix Jones (M), Andrew Conway (L)
14/11. Tiernan O'Halloran ©
13/12. Brendan Macken (L), Fergus McFadden (L), Danny Barnes (M), Nevin Spence (U), Michael Allen (U)
10. Jonathan Sexton (L), Ian McKinley (L), Luke Marshall (U)
9. Paul O'Donohoe (L)
1/3. Cian Healy (L), Adam Macklin (U), Jack McGrath (L), Darragh Hurley (M)
2. Sean Cronin ©, Niall Annett (U), Dennis Fogarty (M)
4/5. Brian Hayes (M), Devin Toner (L), Dave Foley (M)
6/7. Sean O'Brien (L), David Pollock (U), Tommy O'Donnell (M), Brian O'Hara (M)
8. Peter O'Mahony (M), Patrick Butler (M), Robbie Diack (U)

(M) - Munster
(L) - Leinster
(U) - Ulster
© - Connacht

Without doubt I'm leaving quite a few players out. I've left out schoolboys but there are 3 or 4 who I could say confidently will become excellent players. Apart from Connacht who'l no doubt be raped of their talented players, the other provinces are well placed to go from strength to strength.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Aug 26 2009, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What about Darren Cave?[/b]
A very talented player. He picks some stunning lines and has pace to burn. If he can improve his passing he could easily nail down the 13 shirt once O'Driscoll retires. The problem he faces is that he'll have Keith Earls, Fergus McFadden (probably not quite as talented but he brings an outstanding kicking game to the table) and Brendan Macken fighting for that spot. If it were up to me, I'd like to see Earls and McFadden convert to 12 (with the ability to play 13; like Gordon D'arcy) and leave Macken and Cave fight it out for the outside centre position.

From the last couple of Munster friendlies where all the acedemy players are getting a run there's been 3 Munster player who seem to have loads of potential.

Danny barnes at centre has got 2 (or 3 tries....I think Munsterman will know if he scored one or 2 in the first match),
Ian Nagle looks a brilliant centre in the rampaging Ali Williams sort of way, good timing too.
and Scott Deasy (who I put my money on being brilliant about 8 months ago) is very comfortable under the high ball and drifts through gaps...add him to the endless list of Fullbacks we seem to have.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Aug 26 2009, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Aug 26 2009, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A very talented player. He picks some stunning lines and has pace to burn. If he can improve his passing he could easily nail down the 13 shirt once O'Driscoll retires. The problem he faces is that he'll have Keith Earls, Fergus McFadden (probably not quite as talented but he brings an outstanding kicking game to the table) and Brendan Macken fighting for that spot. If it were up to me, I'd like to see Earls and McFadden convert to 12 (with the ability to play 13; like Gordon D'arcy) and leave Macken and Cave fight it out for the outside centre position.
[/b][/quote]
Thank God at least one person doesn't think I'm f'n crazy for mentioning Cave. He's young, give him some time. Look at Johnny Sexton's development over the last few years...If he proves himself during the start of the Magners League he could be knocking on old Ronan's door. Why not a player like Cave, he's got ability and talent...it just needs to be honed in.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Aug 26 2009, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Aug 26 2009, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Aug 26 2009, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]
Thank God at least one person doesn't think I'm f'n crazy for mentioning Cave. He's young, give him some time. Look at Johnny Sexton's development over the last few years...If he proves himself during the start of the Magners League he could be knocking on old Ronan's door. Why not a player like Cave, he's got ability and talent...it just needs to be honed in.
[/b][/quote]

I agree with you. During the Churchill cup 2 Years ago 10. Sexton 12 Earls 13. Cave caused havoc. I think there's a chance that they could be reunited sometime.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Aug 26 2009, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Aug 26 2009, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Aug 26 2009, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

I agree with you. During the Churchill cup 2 Years ago 10. Sexton 12 Earls 13. Cave caused havoc. I think there's a chance that they could be reunited sometime.
[/b][/quote]
THANK YOU!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Aug 26 2009, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
From the last couple of Munster friendlies where all the acedemy players are getting a run there's been 3 Munster player who seem to have loads of potential.

Danny barnes at centre has got 2 (or 3 tries....I think Munsterman will know if he scored one or 2 in the first match),
Ian Nagle looks a brilliant centre in the rampaging Ali Williams sort of way, good timing too.
and Scott Deasy (who I put my money on being brilliant about 8 months ago) is very comfortable under the high ball and drifts through gaps...add him to the endless list of Fullbacks we seem to have.[/b]
All I remember of Deasy is that he was dreadful in an equally poor Ireland u20 team in a World Cup in Belfast. He was an outhalf at that stage. If it's true that he looks the part at 15, somebody deserves a pat on the back for rescuing his career before it even started. All reports I've read seem to say that he's a promising player.

I've heard a lot about Barnes. He's not the biggest player around but he puts himself about and clearly knows where the tryline is.

Nagle seems to have come from nowhere in preseason and push ahead of Dave Foley. With O'Connell and O'Callaghan missing a few rounds at the start of the Magners League, I wonder if he can force his way into the 22.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Aug 26 2009, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Aug 26 2009, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

and Scott Deasy (who I put my money on being brilliant about 8 months ago) is very comfortable under the high ball and drifts through gaps...add him to the endless list of Fullbacks we seem to have.[/b]
All I remember of Deasy is that he was dreadful in an equally poor Ireland u20 team in a World Cup in Belfast. He was an outhalf at that stage. If it's true that he looks the part at 15, somebody deserves a pat on the back for rescuing his career before it even started. All reports I've read seem to say that he's a promising player.

I've heard a lot about Barnes. He's not the biggest player around but he puts himself about and clearly knows where the tryline is.

Nagle seems to have come from nowhere in preseason and push ahead of Dave Foley. With O'Connell and O'Callaghan missing a few rounds at the start of the Magners League, I wonder if he can force his way into the 22.
[/b][/quote]

Nagle and Deasy (along with Sam Cronin and Gavin Dunne) where fantastic the last to seasons for UCC, winning Div 2 last year, and getting promotion this year.
But most of that team have moved on this year, so maybe we'll struggle in 1B.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noidsay @ Aug 26 2009, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Aug 26 2009, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jockstrap @ Aug 26 2009, 04:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
3 Ross(Who else?)[/b]
Tony Buckley.....
[/b][/quote]

Timmy Ryan.
[/b][/quote]
25 years old and lining out for Toulon's Espoirs. Not quite the dream move he'd hoped for, thus far at least! He's an excellent ball carrier but hasn't progressed one bit as a scrummager over the last 3 seasons/since he made his first Munster appearance. Hopefully he'll get a crash course in that art over the next couple of seasons.

Ross and Buckley will do a serviceable job for the next 3 or 4 years. Beyond that Ryan could make it if he pulls his finger out, Jamie Hagan at Connacht has potential too. Adam Macklin is a terrific prospect but needs to refine his scrummaging. He's only 19 or 20 so he has plenty of time on his side.

This Andrew Conlay guy looks set to be brilliant. Kearney may have a genuine challenge. Ferris was also utterly fantastic for the Lions, so I'm just glad he plays for Ulster, who I have a completely irrelevent liking of. Both should be worth keepnig an eye on.

Also: I count that there's only been one O'Something in that XV... Surely that's not right for an Ireland squad? It'd be like a Wales squad where they're not all called 'Jones' or 'Williams', or an England squad without a Tom...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Aug 30 2009, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
This Andrew Conlay guy looks set to be brilliant. Kearney may have a genuine challenge. Ferris was also utterly fantastic for the Lions, so I'm just glad he plays for Ulster, who I have a completely irrelevent liking of. Both should be worth keepnig an eye on.

Also: I count that there's only been one O'Something in that XV... Surely that's not right for an Ireland squad? It'd be like a Wales squad where they're not all called 'Jones' or 'Williams', or an England squad without a Tom...[/b]

we're diversifying!

Latest posts