TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
Evans1_2419630.jpg

Scotland flyer Thom Evans will sadly not be able to make a fairy-tale comeback from the spinal injury suffered playing for Scotland last season.

Evans crashed into Lee Byrne during the Six Nations clash with Wales, damaging two vertebrae.

The 25-year-old was stretchered off the field in a neck brace and as the severity of his condition emerged it was reported that the on-field care by physios and Dr James Robson, the experienced Scottish medic, had played a significant role in ensuring he did not suffer permanent paralysis.

Emergency surgery in the immediate aftermath of the injury stabilised his spine and he was given the option of further surgery, which would have left his chances of a comeback minimal.

http://www.planet-rugby.co.za/story/0,25883,16024_6239677,00.html

That's so sh*t. However, they were worried he'd be paralised afterwards, so at least that's something.

Aside from not playing rugby again what is his condition? Can he walk or is he paralyzed?

By the looks of it, he'll walk and run again, but won't play rugby any more.

and right there one of the bright stars of scotlands current and future game fades away real shame he was one of the only real attacking threats scotland had in the backs
imagine it will be so hard for him to hve to watch from the sidelines from now on but at least he isnt paralized

However despite working hard in rehab over the past four months to get back to full mobility, Evans has now told family and friends that he has now accepted medical advice that he will not play again.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12505_6239973,00.html

Presume if he takes contact then its more than likely however bad it sounds he would be in a wheel chair for life.

Sad state of affairs really. A player that a lot of flair and will be missed.

Very sad to hear this, he looked like he could have been a great player.
Thankfully he is not paralysed.

Sad news indeed. He was a favourite of mine, and one of Scotland's only real sparks- Kinda like Shane, but with a broader accent. Apparently he will be OK to play Rugby in the future, but not at profressional or international level due to the sheer physicalisty of it and the risk of anything happening.

He will be remebered no matter what and hope he stays involved in some capacity in the game

Sad news indeed. He was a favourite of mine, and one of Scotland's only real sparks- Kinda like Shane, but with a broader accent. Apparently he will be OK to play Rugby in the future, but not at profressional or international level due to the sheer physicalisty of it and the risk of anything happening.

So in other words the SRU don't want to foot the bill if anything were to happen to him, but they're not liable if he's injured playing amateur rugby.

That said, if he went on to play weekend league he's be untouchable anyway.

So in other words the SRU don't want to foot the bill if anything were to happen to him, but they're not liable if he's injured playing amateur rugby.

That said, if he went on to play weekend league he's be untouchable anyway.

Insurance will be the problem for him which is a pity as he will be expensive to insure.

Sad news. A player who was beginning to reach his potential has to retire so young.

i really liked him ctually..;15 aside may be out of the question but what about him playing 7s ?? is ther anychance he could play it for scotland ?

oh dear...

Scottish Rugby RIP

I fear the repucussions may extend further than the Thom's person.
I hope that this does not effect Max, unless it makes him more determined.
But I can just imagine a couple of young lads, who were getting interested in rugby, come across this story and say "**** nae! Im nae gonna be doin' egg-chasing!"

oh dear...

Scottish Rugby RIP

But I can just imagine a couple of young lads, who were getting interested in rugby, come across this story and say "**** nae! Im nae gonna be doin' egg-chasing!"

ah dont worry about that there have always been injuries like this through the years it should hopefully not damage rugbys image ..

oh dear...

Scottish Rugby RIP

I doubt it very much

Well he could become the best touch rugby player ever I guess...

Real shame. He was a great star for the future. We still have his brother though!

Latest posts