• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Thomas Domingo ?

LooseHeadProp87

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Exeter
hi guys thought i would jump straight in heard the pundits last night say he was one of the best looseheads in the world because of how low he can get at 5"8 and about 17 stone he is like a little boulder !! i am 5"9 and 17 stone myself and i have to agree i often get the better of the tighthead because i get lower than say a 6ft plus prop. would you guys agree with this.??

Everyone said as much about The '97 lions front row of Smith and Wallace, at least height wise. The Bok pack had massive props, but the lions held their own.

Also David Wilson of Bath seems to be enjoying an upturn in popularity. Alot of people were calling for a more mobile prop for england only last year.

I wasn't a great fan of the new scrumaging laws at the start of the season, because they simply were not being reffed properly. Montpellier vs Toulon on BT Sports was a debacle, and Argentina Vs SA not much better. As the season's gone on though we're seeing real contests so the new laws are growing on me. Coaches are asking their scrum halves to put the ball in straight too. Half the struggle is getting the coaches to play in the spirit of the laws.

totally agree i have noticed even at my level of rugby the scrums are more about technique now and not just pure power of the hit. Domingo really impresses me each time i watch be a good battle between him and dan cole in the 6 nations

Simple mechanics. Longer time spent pushing means more pressure on the limbs. Shorter limbs have an advantage. Its not to say all short props are better but they have an advantage in a way.

totally agree i have noticed even at my level of rugby the scrums are more about technique now and not just pure power of the hit. Domingo really impresses me each time i watch be a good battle between him and dan cole in the 6 nations

in deed he had some good pushes that game, I remember limpidly. Especially that one push where England went backpedaling. Anyways, interesting thread.

It's always been a bit fascinating how a pack with much less weight can beat a much heavier pack...
I remember watching the France Pacific Islanders match from like...2008 ? and they showed on the screen the pack weight stats: France were 80KG's shy of the massive, enormous Pac. Islanders'.
Next thing I see is France consistently beating the Pac. Islander pack, at times destroying it.

I'm not emphasizing the strength of the French pack, just merely the idea that scrummaging is about so much more than raw kilograms...

Last edited:

Latest posts