• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Thoughts about refs in this years record?

Better, still incredibly incosistent, the judiciary panel is the biggest joke.

When is the ref assigned for the QF's? God I hope it's Owens.

Wayne Barnes is my man. Love the way he goes about his job.

Not seen one decision that we should argue with the ref about!

Best stand-up was the ref telling the Scottish 15 to come play in two weeks.....canned myself. Real humor shown by the refs this year!

Yup, and it wouldn't take long on YouTube to find our Nige using that one before. First rule of comedy: no repetition.

Nigel is the man, far and away the best ref of the tournament.
A ref misses a forward pass in 2007 and we never hear the end of it. Owens misses a blatant punch in the middle of the field (guy laying down in the middle of the field, TMO has now the ability to check without being asked and report back) and he's the best. That missed call could have very well cost France the game.

Better, still incredibly incosistent, the judiciary panel is the biggest joke.
Agreed.

Owens and Barnes have been outstanding. The rest were pretty good too. The TMO's interfere with play too much. But maybe they got more leeway this time from World Rugby.

- - - Updated - - -

Best stand-up was the ref telling the Scottish 15 to come play in two weeks.....canned myself. Real humor shown by the refs this year!

That was awesome!

Owens misses a blatant punch in the middle of the field (guy laying down in the middle of the field, TMO has now the ability to check without being asked and report back) and he's the best. That missed call could have very well cost France the game.

How do you come to that conclusion? So you say France would never win if Ireland played with 15 men?Then I agree! I think the TMO saw that the player was laying down, he did not fall......barely touched him!

JP Doyle and Graham Hughes have been spot on.
Hughes is the man when it comes to TMOing.

We're talking about stand-up comedy, right?

Nigel Owens does actually do Stand Up Comedy as well, the man is hilarious, I've been to one of them!

But he's far and away the best ref in that he:
a) takes responsibility for all the decisions, regularly making his own judgement of the TV replays
b) the players respect him much more because of the fun way in which he referees the game
c) he keeps the game quick, he is fantastic at being in the right positions to make calls which other referees miss or have to be informed of by the TMO. He makes the game much faster as a result too, but not making bad calls because of it
d) he takes no nonsense at all, but also doesn't overreact with yellow & red cards. By this I mean he sympathizes when players put in effort to be safe in the tackle, rather than just misfortune and accidents, which many referees will sin bin or even red card for

How do you come to that conclusion? So you say France would never win if Ireland played with 15 men?Then I agree! I think the TMO saw that the player was laying down, he did not fall......barely touched him!
Not sure if you are biased or just need an ophtalmologist.
Several TV shows spotted it live ffs!
It doesn't take a neurosergeon or a NASA engineer to think "hey, the guy is there on the ground, in pain. I have the time, all this fancy monitors at my disposal, why don't i just have a look at what happened. Out of curiosity, you know." The ref doesn't even have to ask the TMO anymore.

And that "bare touch" you speak of is a punishable offense according to the laws of the game. If you don't like if watch another sport.

Fact is, if the rules had been applied properly, Ireland should have been a man down for most of the game.
I know: should have, could have, etc.. didn't happen, but since we are talking about the ref's performances, that was clearly a mistake that could have changed the outcome of the game.

If the rumors are true on what that guy did before the punch, he will not get on a rugby field without getting punched.

And yes I saw the punch....I've seen much worse, I don't think the punch was hard enough to look like a 50 000 volt tazer shot going through him.....

Last edited:

Latest posts