• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Thoughts on Curry/Courtney as England Captain.

duncanb

Bench Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
Both have done well at media.Both are respectful to the refs.
But are they big motivators?
are both on the edge with refs?
Personally always feel as a captain need to be a bit in refs ear.
(ex ref be it from the weeds)
Are we missing a bit ?
However much I hate players looking to get cards.

I think Curry and Lawes both have done well as captains but it's hard to judge really as a lot of it is how things work with the other players, how much they respect and get motivated by them.

Both a massive improvement on the northern angry idiot that is Farrell.

Like any skill captaincy requires some natural aptitude and then a lot of polishing through experience. Lawes may be a decent stop gap and Curry may have potential but neither have much formal leadership experience yet.

As well as on field which can be hard enough there's all the media, commercial, leading in training and being an empathetic ear for other players.

Said it before but if he can get his place back after injury there's a strong argument to give it to Launch as he's been doing it for years at Pests, knows what it takes and is calm and well respected.

It's all well and good being captain when you're winning. For me it's when you're are losing that you really need a good captain. Someone who can motivate and help turn the game around. It's why I don't rate Farrell, whenever we have been losing with him as captain he seems to double down on the tactics that aren't working and hope England can pull it out of the bag. He also doesn't seem to motivate players in a way that gets them giving that extra you need to turn a game around.

In terms of Curry and Lawes, we haven't seen enough to judge. Did Curry's captaincy hold England back against Scotland when they needed to stay calm? Did Lawes help England against South Africa to scrap a win. They are one off examples, so not fair to judge them on just one game.

I have noticed that Curry hardly speaks to the refs at all. Given the current climate I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Lawes definitely seemed more chatty, but not like a Bigger or an angry/perplexed Farrel

I think all replies are fair and considered, I agree that curry seems a tad quiet. Courtney can't be a long term view as he's getting on and strapping is holding him together.
Out of younger bunch maybe LCD could be the one Hartley without the bad bits.
Anything other than a return of Farrell for me.

My 2 cents is that Lawes seemed to play his best series in years when given the duty of captaincy. Curry on the other hand was slightly anonymous (at least, by his own standards) against Scotland and didn't do much against Italy, although, there were apparently other reasons for that. Obviously it's far too early to judge Curry's captaincy ability but if his performances continue to not be up to his usual high standards then maybe it's a case of captaincy clipping his wings a bit, while Lawes seemed to thrive under it.

My 2 cents is that Lawes seemed to play his best series in years when given the duty of captaincy. Curry on the other hand was slightly anonymous (at least, by his own standards) against Scotland and didn't do much against Italy, although, there were apparently other reasons for that. Obviously it's far too early to judge Curry's captaincy ability but if his performances continue to not be up to his usual high standards then maybe it's a case of captaincy clipping his wings a bit, while Lawes seemed to thrive under it.
You are correct but as he's known to our family his body is f$#@&d and will be out of game around next world cup.

Latest posts