Tier 2 Tests - EOYT 2022

Bruce_ma gooshvili

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Georgia
A three test series between A sides for Australia and Japan (pretty much first choice). 9th and 10th in world rankings and worryingly the Aussie reserves win match one of the series away from home.

Great to see the crowd turnout for it. But indeed not ideal in terms of competitiveness between the two sides. I still think World Rankings are hard to read at the moment or are at the most competitive they have been in years, with 1-9 being able to beat each other. Could also be the initial kick that gets the Japan team in shape, given they lost it in the last 20 minutes.

Lots of T2/3 matchups this end of year window. WR did a good job matching up by ranking I think.

Rankings as of 3 October 22
October 29
Japan (10) v New Zealand (4)

November 4/5/6
Italy (14) v Samoa (11)
Scotland (6) v Fiji (12)
Spain (15) v Tonga (16)
Romania (17) v Chile (21)
Georgia (13) v Uruguay (18)
United States (19) v Kenya (33) WCQ in Dubai
Portugal (20) v Hong Kong (22) WCQ in Dubai

November 12/13
Ireland (1) v Fiji (12)
England (5) v Japan (10)
Georgia (13) v Samoa (11)
Netherlands (28) v Canada (23)
Romania (17) v Uruguay (18)
Spain (15) v Namibia (24)
Tonga (16) v Chile (21)
Portugal (20) v Kenya (33) WCQ in Dubai
United States (18) v Hong Kong (22) WCQ in Dubai

November 10/20
Wales (7) v Georgia (13)
Leinster (choke artists) v Chile (21)
Romania (17) v Samoa (11)
Tonga (16) v Uruguay (18)
French Barbarians v Fiji (12)
France (2) v Japan (10)
Hong Kong (22) v Kenya (33) WCQ in Dubai
United States (18) v Portugal (20) WCQ in Dubai

Wallabies win the series with a match to spare. The only consolation is Jospeh has shown Japan can look pretty poor while he tries things out but will turn up at the RWC.

Japan A vs Australia A highlights, 3rd match

Seems Japan picked a lot more Japan/Korean players (16 out of 23 going by the names) rather than their usual foreign legion, and they pick up the win. I don't know if Oz were more experimental.

Japan host NZ this weekend hoping to the latest side to bump them off (surely not!).

Chile vs Spain has fallen through so...

looks like Poland is touring Wales
playing Cross Keys on November 2 and Cardiff Met on November 4
Sounds weird but their coaching team is Welsh and they'll be desperate for any sort of exposure prior to their debut in the REC where Polish amateurs will face pros from Romania and Portugal (which could get messy).

One AB try had commentators calling forward pass and another had a clearly not straight lineout (also remarked on immediately by commentators). Plus Japan had journeyman Yamasawa at 10 (28yrs old and only 4 caps). Gut wrenching that Japan couldn't pull it off at the death as it would have sent shockwaves through the Tier 1 closed shop.

Seems NZ became reduced to stuffing it up their jumper. Kind of embarrassing for the NZRU to see what a top flight Kiwi coaching team can do with a Tier2 side.

Samoa came out hot but had a try chopped off. Then Italy have been looking like world beaters. 20+ up at halftime. I don't know if Samoa have fielded a weaker selection like Fiji seemed to, but its disappointing.

Romania has such an ugly kit. Most ugly kit I've seen in rugby so far 🤢

I really disliked it when it came out, but it's kind of grown on me. At least the idea of having a distinct horizontal or vertical band that relates to the heritage of the country.

I really disliked it when it came out, but it's kind of grown on me. At least the idea of having a distinct horizontal or vertical band that relates to the heritage of the country.
Yes, I understood that those "kushaks" (I don't know how do they call it in Romania) are a kind of a tribute to the costume popular romanesc. But it doesn't look beautiful in this exact kit, I don't like it. Looks like they wear corsets

Latest posts