• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Time for change

Sea fossil

Academy Player
Reaction score
Played RU in my younger days and have been a fan ever since. But the entertainment value is to say the least going down the pan. During the Eng v Georgia match I managed to make a brew and sandwich while Nigel Owen was resetting the same scrum! Started getting into League especially since I can watch quality entertainment from down under. The latter match was boring compared to Le crunch with Leeds getting hammered by Catalan. Its time for a change and the RFU need to wake up.

scotty507

First XV
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Club or Nation

Exeter

What do you suggest? RFU need to wake up and do what?

rugbeian_usa

First XV
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

United States

Club or Nation

Glasgow

There are good and bad games in every sport.

thats life sal valentinetti GIF by America's Got Talent

Tallshort

International
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Country Flag

Former Soviet Union

Club or Nation

Nottingham

Think someones been posting under the influence

scotty507

First XV
TRF Legend
Reaction score
Club or Nation

Exeter

Think someones been posting under the influence
Love a good rant that something should be done to make the game more exciting with zero ideas and blaming the RFU? As if they can fire eddie for winning in a biring manner haha.

I know if we take away scrums lineouts rucks and mauls and limit to 6 carries per twam before turning the ball over it will be so much quicker and exciting :) ;)

ALJ

Academy Player
Reaction score
Country Flag

England

Club or Nation

Gloucester

Honestly I get sick and tired of hearing this sort of stuff.
Why exactly does the game needs to be changed to make it more exciting?

Seems to me that it’s all about widening the fan base in the never ending search for more revenue.
The news is it’s never going to compete with football (soccer), it’s already better than American Football (and those who don’t think it is never will) and the only way to convert the RL fans that don’t like both codes will be to copy them, which would destroy a lot of the existing fan base (more of that in a bit).

So are we trying to appeal people who don’t really like sport? If so, how is the game supposed to adapt to appeal to them given that they probably don’t know what they want and even if they did, they still might not like it.

Which brings me back to the current fan base - the idea that the game is now less entertaining than it was 5/10/15/20 years ago is just utter crap. You get poor games of course but you can say that about any sport - that’s part of the point of something that is live, unscripted and dependent on a range of external factors.
There’s an argument that the increased speed makes it more difficult/less accessible for casual fans but minimising or reducing the technical aspects of the game (which let’s face it, is what such arguments that OP is putting forward are based on) fundamentally changes the game into something else.
So what about the people who like it as it is? **** us right, the game needs more money so let’s just assume we’ll stick around.

So imho if you want something else, find a different game that provides it or start a new one. Either way stop bitching that something isn’t what you want it to be - it’s like moving next to a race track and then moaning about the noise (incidentally another thing that ****** me right off).

Maybe I’m way off track here and I’m not gonna cry if people want to burn be down, just felt it had to be said.

Rant over.

And breathe.

Primary

The Rugby Forum Assistant
Here are some related products that The Rugby Forum members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to The Rugby Forum’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to The Rugby Forum discussions about these products.