• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tip for a backrow converting to a winger ?

iINDOMINUSxx

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Edinburgh
hi im just wondering if there was hope for a back-rower to become a winger

i assume there is but if i wanted to be a winger andy advices or good exercise which you would recommend that i could do and how long it would take to be effective, some skype friend off mine wanted to know so i'd thought i'd ask

Last edited:
Highball catching drills.
Attacking/defensive kicking drills.
Sprint work (explosive power)
Side-stepping drills (step with either left or right foot)
Defensive tackling for a winger is much different from a back-rower so work on that.

buy some gloves, an overcoat, and a hat......you will get cold on the wing in Scotland....the ball never gets to the wing as by the time it does it's frozen (see the international team to see it never gets out there:D)

On a more serious note get some brain cells, you have to be able to think quickly as a winger, and forwards don't tend to....they just like bashing people

When on the wing "look for work" if something is "on" get involved, George North is good at switching wings...coming into the centre, taking a short ball at pace, the best wingers in the game are ones that work, not ones that wait.

One skill I think wingers don't do as much as I would like is having the confidence to kick in field when they are being forced to the touch line, being able to "grubber" a kick in field a short distance so it is bouncing around makes it hard to defend, also a "chip" over the top is also a useful skill not used enough, many go for the touch, but I like to play rugby not watch forwards throw the ball in, maul/fight/smash each other.

Running with the ball in both hands is difficult, throwing a dummy to the touch line can confuse and make a defender fall for it (especially if it's a fat forward having a rest on the wing), be prepared to dive early for the try line especially when wet it is harder to force you into touch if your at full pelt diving for the line 5-6m out using the (never dry) pitches in Scotland to help you over

You have to be able to catch wild passes often behind you at knee level to be a good winger, having frozen hands will not be an excuse when you drop it

Have fun most of all, rugby is a simple game with difficult laws, don't over complicate it.

buy some gloves, an overcoat, and a hat......you will get cold on the wing in Scotland....the ball never gets to the wing as by the time it does it's frozen (see the international team to see it never gets out there:D)

On a more serious note get some brain cells, you have to be able to think quickly as a winger, and forwards don't tend to....they just like bashing people

When on the wing "look for work" if something is "on" get involved, George North is good at switching wings...coming into the centre, taking a short ball at pace, the best wingers in the game are ones that work, not ones that wait.

One skill I think wingers don't do as much as I would like is having the confidence to kick in field when they are being forced to the touch line, being able to "grubber" a kick in field a short distance so it is bouncing around makes it hard to defend, also a "chip" over the top is also a useful skill not used enough, many go for the touch, but I like to play rugby not watch forwards throw the ball in, maul/fight/smash each other.

Running with the ball in both hands is difficult, throwing a dummy to the touch line can confuse and make a defender fall for it (especially if it's a fat forward having a rest on the wing), be prepared to dive early for the try line especially when wet it is harder to force you into touch if your at full pelt diving for the line 5-6m out using the (never dry) pitches in Scotland to help you over

You have to be able to catch wild passes often behind you at knee level to be a good winger, having frozen hands will not be an excuse when you drop it

Have fun most of all, rugby is a simple game with difficult laws, don't over complicate it.
surprised how sean maitland got use to the weather ;)

I think the most important thing to work on is positioning, when to be back when to cover and working with the fullback. :)

Don't do it. Being a low-level winger is the most boring thing imaginable, especially if you play under a coach who doesn't like you roaming. As the majority of players don't have the imagination, skill or awareness, you won't see the ball, and nor will your opposite number, so tackling's off the cards, too. Stay a flanker.

Why would any man wish to leave the back row?

Latest posts