• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tips for place kicking

Z

Zed

Hi guys, I need some tips for place kicking! Our season starts soon and I’ve been practising during summer. I’ve never kicked before, but am keen to start. I’ve got a lot of tips off the net, but am still struggling, mainly with power. When I strike the ball, it gets plenty of height and spin and is fairly accurate but doesn’t go very far. I’m not 100% sure if I’m hitting the ball in the right area i.e where the sweet spot is (where is it!?). What is it about the kick that gives you the power? Basically the distance I am getting from where the ball is kicked to where it first bounces is 35m, which isn’t really enough. Basically giving me a goal scoring kicking distance of just over 30m.. any tips would be appreciated. Also what kind of distance should I be aiming for to be an OK kicker for a club side.

1. Get the ball between the gap.
2. Finding the sweet spot on a ball requires communication between yourself and the ball. Once you feel more comfortable with the ball you can ask it questions such as "how is this for you" or maybe "Do you want to try something new?". Don't feel embarrassed to ask it. Ask it early, so you can establish a better relationship and the next kick will be more pleasurable.
3. Experiment with positioning.
4. It's not the size of the kick, it's how you use.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zed @ Mar 18 2010, 02:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hi guys, I need some tips for place kicking! Our season starts soon and I’ve been practising during summer. I’ve never kicked before, but am keen to start. I’ve got a lot of tips off the net, but am still struggling, mainly with power. When I strike the ball, it gets plenty of height and spin and is fairly accurate but doesn’t go very far. I’m not 100% sure if I’m hitting the ball in the right area i.e where the sweet spot is (where is it!?). What is it about the kick that gives you the power? Basically the distance I am getting from where the ball is kicked to where it first bounces is 35m, which isn’t really enough. Basically giving me a goal scoring kicking distance of just over 30m.. any tips would be appreciated. Also what kind of distance should I be aiming for to be an OK kicker for a club side.[/b]

The sweetspot is located about 1/3 up the ball ;)

what kind of tee are you using? different tee's are made for different kicking styles. if your struggling with distance i would suggest a taller tee so you can focus on distance. the hight of the tee will get the hight for you...

Keep your head down throughout the kicking action after you've decided where to kick. Big breath and exhale into the kick. Follow through.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Mar 18 2010, 08:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Keep your head down throughout the kicking action after you've decided where to kick. Big breath and exhale into the kick. Follow through.[/b]

Parp!! Not helpful I know.

Take your time and level your breathing. You can't kick while panting.

The most important thing is to find your (As I call them) 'Psychic Doodey'. For example, Jonny Wilkinson's squirrel impression, James Hook's rubbing his boots off on his shorts, Toby Flood's holding hands... Personally, once I've taken my four steps back and one to the side, I have a tiny shuffle and stamp a bit. I just do it naurally, but if I don't do it, I seem to miss. Find yours today!

Latest posts