• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

To the New Zealanders

dan-the-man

Academy Player
As a South African I'm just curious to know, if there are NO injuries, what would your All Black back-line, specifically wings and centres be for the world cup? I asked myself that the other day and it was then that I realised that NZ is upto its elbows in back-line talent. I am truly, truly jelous! There are like 10 wings that are all good enough for international level and also about 6 or 7 centres! Who the hell do you pick?

Wings I believe are international quality: (Some are fullbacks or centres that can play on the wing - listing all options you see)

Joe Rockococo
Sitiveni Sivivatu
Cory Jane
Izzy Dagg (Quite liked him on the wing in the 3N last year)
Hosea Gear
Rene Ranger
Zac Guildford
Sean Maitland
Tim Nanai-Williams
Jarred Payne

Centres:
Sonny Bill Williams
Ma'a Nonu
Conrad Smith
Rene Ranger
Robby Freaun
Ben Smith
Jarred Payne

Honestly, these guys are all amazing players and some of them aren't even gonna make the squad!

Without injuries, I reckon my AB back-line would be

9. Matthewson
10. Carter
11. Ranger
12. Sonny Bill
13. Nonu (I know he's an inside centre but you can't leave him or SBW out)
14. Jane
15. Will have to decide between Dagg and Muliaina, leaning towards Dagg

Well, I'd go with

9. Piri Weepu
10. Daniel Carter
11. Hosea Gear
12. Ma'a Nonu
13. Conrad Smith
14. Cory Jane
15. Isaia Toeava

20. Alby Mathewson
21. Luke McAlister
22. Mils Muliaina

R. Jimmy Cowan
R. Aaron Cruden (if Slade isn't fit)
R. Sonny Bill Williams
R. Joe Rokocoko

Not quite sure. Australians regard them as the Scots of the Southern Hemisphere because they never get their round in.

I did find out yesterday why they like to screw their sheep on the edge of the cliff though, instead of in the paddock like the scots...

Its because the sheep push back harder

Well, I'd go with

9. Piri Weepu
10. Daniel Carter
11. Hosea Gear
12. Ma'a Nonu
13. Conrad Smith
14. Cory Jane
15. Isaia Toeava

20. Alby Mathewson
21. Luke McAlister
22. Mils Muliaina

R. Jimmy Cowan
R. Aaron Cruden (if Slade isn't fit)
R. Sonny Bill Williams
R. Joe Rokocoko

Bud you've got close to the whole Hurricanes back line in there and they are playing so s#*t.

And by the way, McAlister is a retard bro

Not quite sure. Australians regard them as the Scots of the Southern Hemisphere because they never get their round in.

I did find out yesterday why they like to screw their sheep on the edge of the cliff though, instead of in the paddock like the scots...

haha what a **** wit......
sonny bill has to start fellas

That joke: copyright 1965 The Big Aussie book of Kiwi jokes.
(its a picture book BTW)

What I'd expect the backline to look like:

9. Jimmy Cowan
10. Dan Carter
11. Sitivini Sivivatu / Hosea Gear
12. Sonny Bill-Williams
13. Conrad Smith
14. Isaia Toeava
15. Mils Muliaina

20. Piri Weepu
21. Luke MacAlister
22. Ma'a Nonu / Richard Kahui / Cory Jane

27. Andy Ellis
28. Ma'a Nonu / Richard Kahui / Cory Jane
29. Ma'a Nonu / Richard Kahui / Cory Jane
30. Hosea Gear / Sitivini Sivivatu

Who I would pick if I was the AB's selector....

9. Jimmy Cowan
10. Dan Carter
11. Isaia Toeava (assume he's been doing lots of training on the wing...)
12. Sonny Bill-Williams
13. Conrad Smith
14. Cory Jane (assuming he gets back to form)
15. Ben Smith

20. Piri Weepu
21. Colin Slade (50/50 between him and MacAlister, as MacAlister is a much better goal-kicker)
22. Richard Kahui

27. Alby Mathewson
28. Ma'a Nonu
29. Mils Muliana
30. Hosea Gear

Last edited:
All Blacks Backline

9.Piri Weepu
10.Daniel Carter
11.Hosea Gear
12.Ma'a Nonu
13.Conrad Smith
14.Isaia Toeava
15.Mils Muliaina

20.Piri Weepu
21.Sonny Bill Williams
22.Aaron Cruden

I know everyone is saying SBW should be no.12 but i got to give it to Nonu,after all this guy has been through all those years im surprised he hasn't already taken off overseas.He is still here,that's loyalty right there.How many other All Blacks would go through that...

All Blacks Backline

9.Piri Weepu
10.Daniel Carter
11.Hosea Gear
12.Ma'a Nonu
13.Conrad Smith
14.Isaia Toeava
15.Mils Muliaina

20.Piri Weepu
21.Sonny Bill Williams
22.Aaron Cruden

I know everyone is saying SBW should be no.12 but i got to give it to Nonu,after all this guy has been through all those years im surprised he hasn't already taken off overseas.He is still here,that's loyalty right there.How many other All Blacks would go through that...

I know Weepu is a big lad, but do you really think that he can start and come off the bench? ;)

Guess during the cup we will see whos doing the job better ..my moneys on Sonny hes making less mistakes then Nonu

On current form:

Cowan
Carter
Guildford
SBW
Kahui
Kade Poki
Ben Smith

This obviously not how they'd go ... maybe

Cowan
Carter
Sivivatu
SBW
Conrad Smith
Toeava
Muliaina

Res
Weepu
Nonu
Ben Smith

Honestly, they coudl put any combo of players out there.

The key to victory will be tight D, and percentage play in RWC.

Hope Dan keeps practising drop goals and penalties, cos lets face; RWC's are not won on running rugby ('87 aside) - they are usually dour kick-fests.

Ideally come big gmaes:

9, weepu (has a lot of ground to make up with his fitness, but at his best he is the best 9 in the world)
10, Mr Carter
11, Ben Smith/Guildford (Honestly I'm not sold on gear. fantastic on attack but other things are more important come world cup final)
12, Sonny Bill Williams (Nonu is great but even at his best he's no sonny bill)
13, Kahui (He's wasted in the chiefs backline outside sweeney who is an utter crap 12, in the AB's he will come alive I have no doubt - has another gear he can shift to that is higher than Conrad and become a genuine match winner)
14, Toeava/Jane (If Toeava gets back to his best he will be a must have, if not I believe Jane will come good when he puts a black shirt on)
15, Mills (his experience will be vital and his best will come to light when he's in the AB's)

20, Cowan
21, not sold on anyone yet. Few rounds to go in Super15. Best out of McAlister or Donald over these last rounds should get the job.
22, Dagg/Nonu

So hard to pick wings I had to list two each side! Reality is there are lots of viable options and lots of guys who should be feeling like they have done enough to make this team but the competition is insane.

Real Contenders:
Rokocoko - Not the spark on attack he used to have but he's still a brilliant powerful runner and very very good on defense.
Sivivatu - Still the most deadly running winger in the world in broken play, not quite back to 100% but his ability to counter attack and link with Mills is fantastic
Gear - powerful runner and genuine try scorer. if it weren't for some short comings on defense he would be an automatic selection.
Jane - Proven test performer for the last couple of years. hardly sighted in super rugby this year but it's hard to imagine him not being selected. has a few rounds left to make sure of his spot.
Guildford - Best form of his life, huge work rate, low error rate, good finisher, good speed.
Ben Smith - IMO his form and utility value right now puts him in the must have catagory. Can cover anything 12-15.
Toeava - Prolific meter eater. Awesome on his feet for his size. His hands let him down a bit at times.
Dagg - genuine wing cover or potential starter at 11, super sub for the ab's in a couple of critical tests last year. injured right now though...
Kahui - Like Dagg, Kahui can come on in the 22 shirt and play wing to make a genuine impact on the game against tired oposition with either his speed & power or punishing defense. IMO Kahui is a sure thing for selection and he will be selected to cover 11, 13, 14. If not for injury I think he's be the best 13 in the world right now and if he was a fill time winger he'd be the best winger in the world.

Ranger - robust meter eating running game. but maybe to eratic and un proven for the All Blacks? Will he have a good game or a bad one?
maitland - Genuine speed, genuine finisher and solid all round game. He would surely do a good job with the AB's. But there are so many genuine options with test experience I can't se it happening.
Masanga - IMO the most determined runner in NZ rugby. has a freakish ability to "Lomu-bump" off players that are bigger than him. The kind of player you just need to give a bit of space and he can create havoc for the oposition. But one quite poor game marking Guildford this season I think has ruined his chances.
Poki - Been a revelation. But has a knee injury that is a constant problem and he's not tested in big rugby.
Nanai Williams - Huge array of skills, pitty his weakest one is tackling. kinda important for test rugby...

Ideally come big gmaes:

9, weepu (has a lot of ground to make up with his fitness, but at his best he is the best 9 in the world)
10, Mr Carter
11, Ben Smith/Guildford (Honestly I'm not sold on gear. fantastic on attack but other things are more important come world cup final)
12, Sonny Bill Williams (Nonu is great but even at his best he's no sonny bill)
13, Kahui (He's wasted in the chiefs backline outside sweeney who is an utter crap 12, in the AB's he will come alive I have no doubt - has another gear he can shift to that is higher than Conrad and become a genuine match winner)
14, Toeava/Jane (If Toeava gets back to his best he will be a must have, if not I believe Jane will come good when he puts a black shirt on)
15, Mills (his experience will be vital and his best will come to light when he's in the AB's)

20, Cowan
21, not sold on anyone yet. Few rounds to go in Super15. Best out of McAlister or Donald over these last rounds should get the job.
22, Dagg/Nonu

So hard to pick wings I had to list two each side! Reality is there are lots of viable options and lots of guys who should be feeling like they have done enough to make this team but the competition is insane.

Real Contenders:
Rokocoko - Not the spark on attack he used to have but he's still a brilliant powerful runner and very very good on defense.
Sivivatu - Still the most deadly running winger in the world in broken play, not quite back to 100% but his ability to counter attack and link with Mills is fantastic
Gear - powerful runner and genuine try scorer. if it weren't for some short comings on defense he would be an automatic selection.
Jane - Proven test performer for the last couple of years. hardly sighted in super rugby this year but it's hard to imagine him not being selected. has a few rounds left to make sure of his spot.
Guildford - Best form of his life, huge work rate, low error rate, good finisher, good speed.
Ben Smith - IMO his form and utility value right now puts him in the must have catagory. Can cover anything 12-15.
Toeava - Prolific meter eater. Awesome on his feet for his size. His hands let him down a bit at times.
Dagg - genuine wing cover or potential starter at 11, super sub for the ab's in a couple of critical tests last year. injured right now though...
Kahui - Like Dagg, Kahui can come on in the 22 shirt and play wing to make a genuine impact on the game against tired oposition with either his speed & power or punishing defense. IMO Kahui is a sure thing for selection and he will be selected to cover 11, 13, 14. If not for injury I think he's be the best 13 in the world right now and if he was a fill time winger he'd be the best winger in the world.

Ranger - robust meter eating running game. but maybe to eratic and un proven for the All Blacks? Will he have a good game or a bad one?
maitland - Genuine speed, genuine finisher and solid all round game. He would surely do a good job with the AB's. But there are so many genuine options with test experience I can't se it happening.
Masanga - IMO the most determined runner in NZ rugby. has a freakish ability to "Lomu-bump" off players that are bigger than him. The kind of player you just need to give a bit of space and he can create havoc for the oposition. But one quite poor game marking Guildford this season I think has ruined his chances.
Poki - Been a revelation. But has a knee injury that is a constant problem and he's not tested in big rugby.
Nanai Williams - Huge array of skills, pitty his weakest one is tackling. kinda important for test rugby...

Pretty good analysis, though I'm not quite as enthusiastic about the Chiefs players as you are ;) I do rate Kahui, but even at his best I'd prefer Conrad Smith, as I think he reads the game better than Kahui. One of my only real criticisms of Kahui is that he can be a bit 'hit and miss' on defense. He often runs up fast on defense; this can be very effective if he pulls off a big hit, but he does miss a few tackles on occasions...

I agree Re: Hosea Gear. I'm not convinced about him either, both his defense, and his work-rate (which looked to have improved last year, but seems to have regressed a bit again this year) worry me at times. However I feel we are definitely in the minority, as I see that Hosea Gear is in contention for TRF's Southern Hemisphere player of the year (an illustrious award indeed!). I'm actually leaning towards included Zac Guildford in my preferred lineup as well, as he's looked very dangerous for the Crusaders this year. He is frequently breaking the line, and importantly always seeming to be able to link up with his support. The only criticism I have of Guildford is that he's be making a few too many basic errors over recent weeks (e.g dropping a few high balls), which isn't good enough for someone who is generally considered a low error rate player. If he continues to play well for the Crusaders (and eliminates the basic errors) I expect he will be selected in the AB's tri-nations squad.

Last edited:
One of my only real criticisms of Kahui is that he can be a bit 'hit and miss' on defense. He often runs up fast on defense; this can be very effective if he pulls off a big hit, but he does miss a few tackles on occasions...

Funny, Conrad smith did that exactly that once in this last game for the hurricanes. And I remember one game for the in 08 against SA he did that too and interestingly it was Kahui that got back and stopped the resulting movement from the linebreak (he was playing wing).

I'm not saying Kahui hasn't made mistakes like that because he has, no one is perfect. But overall I dont think he makes more mistakes like that than smith but I do think Kahui has added impact in his defense and he's better running back to snuff linebreaks and making important tackles to stop attacks resulting from linebreaks. I dont know if you noticed in the crusaders/chiefs last game one of dan carters line breaks was through Hika Elliot and Kahui was defending next to him in the line. Carter went clean through and Kahui had to stop turn and run back to make the tackle on carter, it was pretty impressive and typical of stuff Kahui has done for both the chiefs and AB's.

Gears a tough one, he was so impressive on the EoY tour, but playing Aus & SA is a whole other story and I think his short commings on defense could be exposed against these teams. may get a chance to try and prove himself in the tri nations. The most likely route through the World cup will mean NZ have to play both SA and AUS to win it.

Pretty good analysis, though I'm not quite as enthusiastic about the Chiefs players as you are ;) I do rate Kahui, but even at his best I'd prefer Conrad Smith, as I think he reads the game better than Kahui. One of my only real criticisms of Kahui is that he can be a bit 'hit and miss' on defense. He often runs up fast on defense; this can be very effective if he pulls off a big hit, but he does miss a few tackles on occasions...

I agree Re: Hosea Gear. I'm not convinced about him either, both his defense, and his work-rate (which looked to have improved last year, but seems to have regressed a bit again this year) worry me at times. However I feel we are definitely in the minority, as I see that Hosea Gear is in contention for TRF's Southern Hemisphere player of the year (an illustrious award indeed!). I'm actually leaning towards included Zac Guildford in my preferred lineup as well, as he's looked very dangerous for the Crusaders this year. He is frequently breaking the line, and importantly always seeming to be able to link up with his support. The only criticism I have of Guildford is that he's be making a few too many basic errors over recent weeks (e.g dropping a few high balls), which isn't good enough for someone who is generally considered a low error rate player. If he continues to play well for the Crusaders (and eliminates the basic errors) I expect he will be selected in the AB's tri-nations squad.

My main criticism of him, is that he jogs to the line every time, does a little shuffle that isn't going to fool anyone ever, and then gets driven back 5m. He will do this five times a game. He doesn't create anything, he just links up and takes the glory. I don't see why noone else sees this. At least with Gear, he can break a game. And it's certainly easier to look special when Carter is directing the game with a great forward pack, than with Cruden and the Canes pack.

My main criticism of him, is that he jogs to the line every time, does a little shuffle that isn't going to fool anyone ever, and then gets driven back 5m. He will do this five times a game. He doesn't create anything, he just links up and takes the glory. I don't see why noone else sees this. At least with Gear, he can break a game. And it's certainly easier to look special when Carter is directing the game with a great forward pack, than with Cruden and the Canes pack.

I agree with you I see it, his overall skills are poor , its a task for him to throw a decent pass. Hes ALL gas, we wont see him in the All Blacks again

Latest posts