• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Todd Carney you idiot

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local...in/1174398.aspx

312978.jpg

Carney's career in the balance ... again
BY PETER FITZGERALD
23/07/2008 4:18:00 PM

Canberra Raiders star Todd Carney is facing the sack from his in-form NRL club, with police investigating allegations the 22-year-old urinated on a patron at an O'Connor pub.

Halfback Carney, who has a long list of alcohol-related off-field offences also faces deregistration from the National Rugby League.

The alleged incident could spell the end of Carney's rugby league career in Australia, as he was already on his last chance with Canberra after serious driving offences.

Carney touted as a future NSW halfback could become the fifth player deregistered by the NRL, and the fourth in three years, for serious off-field misconduct.

Raiders chief executive Don Furner indefinitely suspended Carney and teammate Bronx Goodwin yesterday after the pair allegedly had a wild Sunday night in Canberra. The loss of the two top players is a blow for the Raiders after they looked certain to burst into finals contention.

ACT Policing has confirmed it is investigating a 22-year-old Bruce man, believed to be Carney, for common assault inside All Bar Nun on Sunday night. It is also investigating a 24-year-old Bruce man, believed to be Raiders fullback Goodwin, for allegedly assaulting two men outside the venue later in the night. No charges have been laid and it is unknown if either player was provoked.

NRL chief executive David Gallop said the league was comfortable with the action taken by the Raiders, but expected serious ramifications if the allegations were proven.

''Clearly, when players have been involved in previous incidents there will be different consequences,'' he said yesterday.

The alleged incidents occurred hours after the Raiders' memorable 34-12 victory over the Sydney Roosters at Canberra Stadium on Sunday afternoon. The win, the team's second in two weeks, had moved it to ninth on the NRL ladder, only one point outside the top eight. And with a dream run to the finals, the Raiders had firmed from $2.50 into $1.90 with ACTTAB Sportsbet to make the play-offs for the first time since 2006.

If Carney is found guilty of assault and plays only a minor if any role in the remainder of the season, the team could struggle to reach the play-offs.

Despite Carney's obvious connection to the Raiders' resurgence this year, Furner said he had no choice but to sideline the star, pending a police investigation.

The decision to suspend Carney and Goodwin came after the chief executive met Raiders football manager David Sharpe, coach Neil Henry, the club's board of directors and the team's leadership group.

''I'm disappointed, the players are disappointed, but we'll look at whether there are any allegations, whether there's much to them or whether the police will move forward to them,'' Furner said.

''I'm not going to hang anyone out to dry until that happens, that's why it's the best thing we could do was to stand them down until we work that out.''

Carney has been fined for drink-driving offences three times in the past three years.

The most recent, in May 2007, led to the Raiders internally suspending him for six NRL games and giving a stern warning that another offence could spell the end of his time at the club.

Carney had a security guard outside his house last night to ensure his privacy.

Raiders captain Alan Tongue supported the club's decision to stand the pair down, even if it made the team's quest for the finals more challenging.

''I had a bit of a chat and talk with Donny [Furner] and it's a joint decision, I suppose,'' Tongue said.

''I'm as keen as anything to make it into this top eight. It's obviously a disruption.''

ACT Sports Minister Andrew Barr expressed his disappointment. ''The club has had some difficulties over the last 12 to 24 months with behaviour outside of football of some of the players,'' he said.

''I think they need to recognise that all of these footballers are role models to not just rugby league fans, but more broadly in the community.''

Fans' reactions were mixed yesterday.

''If it is true that Carney pisssed [sic] on someone [and I will wait for further reports], as a Raider fan of 15 years I would like the club to stand him down.

''******* on someone is one of the lowest act [sic] you can do, and I can't as a fan support someone like that, no matter how good he is,'' one fan wrote on website www.thegreenhouseact.net.

Carney's record

December 06: Charged with mid-range drink driving and reckless driving following an incident in Goulburn.

January 07: Faces court over Goulburn incident.

February 07: Licence suspended for five years.

May 07: Carney and fellow Raiders player Steve Irwin lead police on a car chase through Canberra's streets before Carney abandons the car and flees.

May 07: Carney hands himself into police the morning after the chase.

May 07: Raiders put Carney on a rehabilitation plan.

June 07: Handed 200 hours community service for pursuit and driving while his licence was suspended.

July 08: Allegedly urinates on a patron at a Canberra pub. Stood down indefinitely by Raiders. [/b]

Knob.

February 07: Licence suspended for five years.
[/quote]

Ooouch... clearly its been blown out of proportion :rolleyes: ... or maybe he should put down the beers

It doesnt surprise me he wont get fired though he is too important to lose no matter what the wowsers say.

pfft he is fine - its all dimissed

carney did spray tilse mate.......................but it was an accident

he was so wasted forgot to straighten it out, and it went 90 degrees, and he didnt realise for a good few seconds - tilses buddy is copping it on the leg

some witness inside toilet went and told people - 'funniest sh*t ever' kind of story

bronx goodwin then bashes 2 dudes for no reason

people start to dislike carney for his behaviour and his association with the bronx

someone tells cops carney was ******* on some dude

cops then question carney - he doesnt recall it,

tilse mate gets questioned and he says, yeah but it was an accident he was so wasted, he didnt aim straight

carney now suspended from club because he was on the turps soo hard

NEXT STORY...IRWIN LIED TO POLICE TO SAVE CARNEY FROM JAIL IN 2007!!!

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,2...5-23214,00.html

MEDIA BEAT UP
u see - news limited have failed in getting carney in the sh*t with nintendo wii

so then they get desparate, and go digging more, and go find the 'other guy' in the carney scandal of 2007 - LAST YEAR

oh look what irwin says - what a surprise

its known in the greehouse this guy irwin has had sour grapes with raiders HQ since we sacked him, and he never got another contract so his career was over by 23yrsold

its poor form from the media - they got defeated just accept it
its poor form from irwin - he got sacked just accept it

so they both team up against the raiders to derail their focus - a form of payback - what a low life tall poppy syndrome society we live in

u dont find this story on smh.com.au do ya???

telecrap, fox, news limited - are just the taking the **** = raiders vandetta

the raiders have 1 blemish in Bronx Goodwin and the Sydney media go crazy â€" perhaps because the raiders fanbase hijacked a poll on news.com a few weeks ago???

i know teh mite provided a canberra time link above

but the whole story came from news ltd

its poor journalism at its best they have been derailing NRL down here all year....

Either way he is still a idiot. I mean lots of people go on the turps alot, most of them dont end up in police investigations or getting in car chases. He obviously has a problem and perhaps the club should divert some of his stupidly salary into some kind of rehab program for him.

If he was to switch to harder drugs he could be a star for West Coast Eagles !

he is an idiot i agree
but this is a media beat-up
heck bronx is on 2 counts of assault and summons to court - yet carney is still all over the news - after he was cleared - its just pathetic
tall poppy syndrome

He has had his Raider's contract torn up and the NRL have deregistered him and won't re-register him as a player again until the 2010 season....at the earliest!

Idiot.

Goodluck to him if he goes to overseas though, I seriously hope he starts to play to his potential and then come back to Australia and shake it up!

NRL.com
AAP

Super League clubs are set to queue up for Todd Carney's signature after the troubled halfback was sacked by Canberra and deregistered by the NRL.

Carney, 22, was left "shocked and shattered" after the Raiders tore up his four-year contract having finally had enough of his off-field misdemeanours.

Shortly after the club announced his sacking, NRL chief executive David Gallop confirmed Carney would be de-registered until at least 2010, meaning no NRL club can sign him in 2009.

Despite suggestions Gallop could attempt to have the deregistration honoured in the English Super League as well, the NRL boss was resigned to the fact Carney would the join the exodus of talent moving overseas.

"There's no doubt he's a quality player but he's let himself down and he's certainly let the Raiders down - they've given him any number of chances," Gallop said.

"If he ends up playing in Super League or in Europe, so be it."

Considered one of the NRL's brightest young talents, Carney is expected to have no trouble securing a contract abroad.

English club Salford and Welsh side Celtic Crusaders, who will both join the Super League from next season, are among the clubs already reportedly interested in signing him.

Carney's final miscalculation came last Saturday night when he was part of a group that was ejected from a Goulburn club.

Carney had already been suspended indefinitely by the club after a complaint that he had urinated on a person while out drinking at Canberra pub All Bar Nun.

While that complaint was withdrawn, the aura of poor behaviour clung to him, partly because of his involvement in a 2007 police chase and the subsequent 200 hours of community service he was ordered to undertake.

He had already had his licence suspended because of drink driving prior to the car chase.

The Raiders last week drew up a five-point ultimatum for Carney to remain at the club - which included an alcohol ban and counselling - but that offer was taken off the table on Thursday.

"The board decided they had had enough," Raiders chief executive Don Furner told reporters.

"The board met and discussed Todd with his manager and Todd was granted his request to put his case to the board.

"Regrettably they (the board) chose to terminate his contract."

A grim faced, pin-stripe suited Carney then fronted reporters with his manager David Riolo.

"I'm not happy with the outcome," Riolo said before admitting Carney needed to understand the consequences of his behaviour.

"I'm disappointed for Todd but there were circumstances that have happened and Todd's got to realise and understand as well that he has been involved in some incidents."

Carney let Riolo do most of the talking but admitted it was a tough decision to accept.

"I'm pretty shocked and shattered," Carney said.

"I guess I didn't know that was going to be the outcome today and now I know I just have to stay on my feet and work out where my future lies now."

While the Raiders have axed Carney as a player the club has not severed ties completely.

"The club is willing to assist Todd through his rehabilitation including funding for any counselling services or rehabilitation plan," Furner said.

Gallop said both the club and the NRL had "no choice" but to take action against Carney but he did not close the door on him making a return to the NRL if he changed his ways.

"There would be an inherent unfairness in him walking out on the field against the Raiders for the 2009 season," Gallop said of the decision to deregister Carney, who was linked with Penrith earlier this year.

"A player with the number of incidents he's had, there's really no option but to say `no registration for him in 2009 in our comp.'

"Certainly if he can demonstrate he's made inroads into his problems, then we would consider registration for 2010."

[/b]

Anyone stupid enough to continually put himself in the way of the media like that who are obviously going to portray him in a negative way deserves to be dropped.

Sad, just like Tim Smith. [/b]
Nothing like Tim Smith at all.

They may have both stuffed up but Carney stuffed up more.

Carney went a step further and wouldn't admit he had a problem and thought he was bigger than the club.

Carney's contract was ripped up infront of him and he was deregistered from the NRL.
Smith and the Eels mutually decided to part because they knew it was for the best and more things may have occurred had Smith not had some time off to learn how to cope with himself (bipolar disorder) as well as drinking. Smith had his time out and then went and looked for new surroundings in England which by all accounts has been a success.

Carney is still yet to accept responsibility for his actions and realise what a monumental f***up he is. In saying that though, I really do hope he takes a leaf out of Tim Smith's page.

One day I hope to see them return to the NRL...Carney because I want to see him play at his full potential...Smith because I want to see him back playing like he was a few years ago.

Just a typical brainless meat head..Grew up getting away with everything because he was good at sport...

I hate these excuses people make "It's because the spotlight is always on them"...What a load of bullocks! If that was the case, wouldn't all of the NRL be doing the same thing?

And when was the last time you heard Brad Pitt peed on someone outside a bar?

I heard Tim Smith hasnt been playing well at all in England Melon...

Dont think the Raiders need him anymore after todays 74-12 drubbing! David Campeses nephew scoring 4 tries and a shitload of points!

I heard Tim Smith hasnt been playing well at all in England Melon...
[/b]

Oh well regardless, atleast Smith has his personal life relatively in check and trouble free. That's something that will take Carney a while to work out. Maybe if picked up by and english club, Carney will have it all bashed out of him by a gang of chavs :bana: .

Similar to Tim Smith in that he has so much potential and looked destined for greater things at such an early age but threw it all away. Granted Smith appears to be taking some steps forward to getting back to his previous self and hopefully both can sort out problems they have because they both have too much talent to just throw away.

Latest posts