• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tom Biggs signs, and Nick Abendanon renews contract at Bath

M

mohamed_ali12

Bath sharpen cutting edge with Abendanon and Biggs

After an exhilarating win on Sunday that propelled Bath Rugby into seventh position in the Guinness Premiership, the Club are delighted to announce the contract renewal of Nick Abendanon and the signing of Newcastle Falcons winger, Tom Biggs.
Biggs joins Bath Rugby from the Falcons and before that the 25 year old was Leeds's all-time record try-scorer. The accomplished winger joins Bath on a three year deal, which will see him at The Rec until at least the end of the 2012-13 season.

Having appeared 20 times for Newcastle, to date, the dynamic winger will provide another cutting edge with his pace and strong finishing.

"Bath Rugby is an historic club with a host of great players who play an exciting style of rugby," said Tom. "Having watched the match against London Irish and seen Bath come away with a bonus point win, I am just thrilled to be able to become a part of it."

With Abendanon renewing his contract for another two seasons, the pair will provide even more of an attacking threat from the back three.

Speaking about his soon-to-be team-mate, Tom is looking forward to matching playing styles with the fullback: "Nick has a really good running rugby game, which is similar to the way I like to play, but I think I might have to dye my hair a bit blonder to keep up with him!"

"He has an awesome outside break," said Nick about Tom. "Two years ago he put me to shame when we played Leeds, so it will be great to get him into a Bath jersey instead."

A lightning fast full back with quick feet, Nick has made 96 appearances in the blue, black and white and scored 17 tries. Having come up through the Academy system, he is pleased to be continuing his career with the West Country team.

"I love this Club and the city. I know everyone says that, but it is a great place to be. Games like we played against London Irish on Sunday are a good indication of the quality of rugby that we are not only capable of, but that we are all aiming for. I am sure that we will be producing a lot more of that style this season and I am glad to be sticking around to see it."

Talking about the news today, Head Coach Steve Meehan is delighted to have secured the young stars: "Both Nick and Tom have good pace and possess the ability to create something from nothing, with is a rare talent and something that we value greatly here.

"There was a lot of interest in Nick, and him staying reflects the great spirit within the Club. It also demonstrates that he clearly sees the direction that we are heading as a very positive one," said Meehan.

"We witnessed, just last weekend, a performance from Nick that would concern the best of defenses and now with his contract extension off his mind, we are looking forward to seeing more of the same level for the remainder of the season.

"Tom is a real handful for any opposition and we feel he is about to enter his prime. We have seen him score some remarkable tries in the Guinness Premiership over the years and it's our intention to give him plenty of opportunity and expect him to go looking for others."

http://www.bathrugby.com/8531.php

Latest posts