• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tom Donnelly selection proves Racist NZ Maori team hurting ABs.

It'd be interesting if say the NZ Maori played in the Pacific Nations, and the Jr All Blacks played in the Churchill Cup. Money would obviously be an issue though, and you could never really have an 'A' team, as players who weren't in the AB's would be diluted into two teams, meaning neither would be full strength.

It was the other way around for a while there untill the budget cuts

It'd be interesting if say the NZ Maori played in the Pacific Nations, and the Jr All Blacks played in the Churchill Cup. Money would obviously be an issue though, and you could never really have an 'A' team, as players who weren't in the AB's would be diluted into two teams, meaning neither would be full strength.

Not really Nick. A NZ 'A' team would not be made up of the next best 22 players after the All Blacks, it would be taken from the next best squad after the All Black squad, so really, the playing 15 for a NZ 'A' team is closer to being somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd best team.

Here is the current All Black quad for the Tri-Nations...

Forwards: John Afoa, Anthony Boric, Tom Donnelly, Corey Flynn, Ben Franks, Owen Franks, Jerome Kaino, Richie McCaw, Keven Mealamu, Liam Messam, Kieran Read, Brad Thorn, Victor Vito, Sam Whitelock, Tony Woodcock.

Backs: Jimmy Cowan, Aaron Cruden, Israel Dagg, Cory Jane, Richard Kahui, Mils Muliaina, Ma'a Nonu, Rene Ranger, Joe Rokocoko, Conrad Smith, Benson Stanley, Piri Weepu.

Not considered due to injury: Mike Delany (shoulder), Stephen Donald (shoulder), Jason Eaton (knee), Andrew Hore (shoulder), Sitiveni Sivivatu (shoulder), Isaia Toeava (hip) and Ali Williams (Achilles).

The challenge is to pick a starting XV and seven bench players for a New Zealand 'A' team, not using any of the players listed above. Here's mine, and anyone can feel free to pick over the bones :D

1 - Jamie MacIntosh
2 - Aled DeMalmanche
3 - Neemia Tialata
4 - Chris Jack
5 - Isaac Ross
6 - Scott Waldrom
7 - Tanerau Latimer
8 - Rodney So'oialo (Captain)
9 - Alby Mathewson
10 - Steven Brett
11 - Hosea Gear
12 - Luke Mcalister
13 - Ryan Crotty
14 - Sean Maitland
15 - Colin Slade

Bench
16 - Charlie Faumuina (front row cover)
17 - Dane Coles (front row cover)
18 - Josh Bekhuis (locking cover)
19 - Karl Lowe (loose forward cover)
20 - Andy Ellis (scrumhalf)
21 - Willie Repia (5/8 goalkicking cover)
22 - Jared Payne (wing/centre/fullback)

Not really Nick. A NZ 'A' team would not be made up of the next best 22 players after the All Blacks, it would be taken from the next best squad after the All Black squad, so really, the playing 15 for a NZ 'A' team is closer to being somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd best team.

Here is the current All Black quad for the Tri-Nations...

Forwards: John Afoa, Anthony Boric, Tom Donnelly, Corey Flynn, Ben Franks, Owen Franks, Jerome Kaino, Richie McCaw, Keven Mealamu, Liam Messam, Kieran Read, Brad Thorn, Victor Vito, Sam Whitelock, Tony Woodcock.

Backs: Jimmy Cowan, Aaron Cruden, Israel Dagg, Cory Jane, Richard Kahui, Mils Muliaina, Ma'a Nonu, Rene Ranger, Joe Rokocoko, Conrad Smith, Benson Stanley, Piri Weepu.

Not considered due to injury: Mike Delany (shoulder), Stephen Donald (shoulder), Jason Eaton (knee), Andrew Hore (shoulder), Sitiveni Sivivatu (shoulder), Isaia Toeava (hip) and Ali Williams (Achilles).

The challenge is to pick a starting XV and seven bench players for a New Zealand 'A' team, not using any of the players listed above. Here's mine, and anyone can feel free to pick over the bones :D

1 - Jamie MacIntosh
2 - Aled DeMalmanche
3 - Neemia Tialata
4 - Chris Jack
5 - Isaac Ross
6 - Scott Waldrom
7 - Tanerau Latimer
8 - Rodney So'oialo (Captain)
9 - Alby Mathewson
10 - Steven Brett
11 - Hosea Gear
12 - Luke Mcalister
13 - Ryan Crotty
14 - Sean Maitland
15 - Colin Slade

Bench
16 - Charlie Faumuina (front row cover)
17 - Dane Coles (front row cover)
18 - Josh Bekhuis (locking cover)
19 - Karl Lowe (loose forward cover)
20 - Andy Ellis (scrumhalf)
21 - Willie Repia (5/8 goalkicking cover)
22 - Jared Payne (wing/centre/fullback)

Sure, my point was that now with that squad as a NZ A squad, picking an NZ Maori team would be a nightmare. With no Gear, Brett, McAlister, Lowe, Repia, Ross, Maitland, Latimer etc, the NZ Maori team would be pretty weak. You could not run both a NZ Maori team and a Jr All Black(A) team at the same time or one of the two teams would have to suffer.

A bit late with this reply but anyway, I agree with Ranger on this.
There is absolutely no use of scrapping a team with so much history and passion just because two players didn't make it.
I saw all the games and the team really impressed me.

Tbh I still prefer Ali as a lock instead of Tom ( off the topic) and if hes not being selected I'm sure Henry will have chosen a player as good or maybe even better to play on that position.

Anyway, nearly Tri- nations time :)

Sure, my point was that now with that squad as a NZ A squad, picking an NZ Maori team would be a nightmare. With no Gear, Brett, McAlister, Lowe, Repia, Ross, Maitland, Latimer etc, the NZ Maori team would be pretty weak. You could not run both a NZ Maori team and a Jr All Black(A) team at the same time or one of the two teams would have to suffer.

In 2006 and 2007 the JABs played in the pacific comp and the Maori in the Churchill cup.. Check the All Blacks website. The Maori got first pick and the JABs got what was left.
The JABs were undefeated and the Maori won undefeated in 06 and narrowly lost in 07. You can definitely run two teams..

Just look at the NZ Barbarians vs NZ Maori game, the baabaas would easily win the pacific comp and the Maori wouldn't have too many problems in the Churchill considering their current form..

Latest posts