• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tongan decendents playing for the Wallabies and All Blacks

Melhor Time

Bench Player
I require information on Tongan decendents playing for New Zealand and Australia.

i.e. born in Australia or New Zealand but of a Tongan background similar to George Smith.

If anyone knows please let me know.

Cheers!

Tatafu Polotu-Nau, Wycliff Palu are two current Wallabies of Tongan decent, Rodney Blake and Mark Gerrard are two who have been Wallabies that maybe could feature again ... trying to think of current All Blacks, but can't think of any of the top of my head

Alando Soakai, Roy Kinikinilau, Sione Lauaki and Ben Atiga is all i can think of atm

Thanks guys!

I was looking over the Australian teams in Super Rugby and got a better idea. i.e: Wycliff Palu, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Sekope Kepu, Rodney Blake (born in Tonga), Daniel Halangahu (cannot play as has played for Aussie A), Salesi Ma'afu, Mark Gerrard, Anthony e Saia Fainga'a e Afusipa Taumoepeau.

I believe this is all of them. Let me know if I am wrong and if anyone knows of those playing for NZ teams!

Cheers!

There's no current All Blacks who are Togan. Rene Ranger is Raro I think but that's about as close as you're going to get.

That's 100% correct, Melhor. Fijian and Tongan parents, born in Australia. Campese and Salesi lined up against each other in the Australia v Fiji test last year.

the last tongans i can think of that played for the All Blacks were Sione Lauaki and Doug Howlett, but there's no tongan's in the 2010 squad, unless some of the samoan players have tonga descent too

Last edited:
From the Top of my Head: All Tongan Heritaged players to Play For AB's and Wallabies-

NZ:
Jonah Lomu
Carl Hoeft
Pita Alatini
Isitolo Maka
Charles Riechelmann
Doug Howlett
Sione Lauaki
Saimone Taumoepeau
Ben Atiga

OZ:
Willie Ofahengaue
Semi Taupeafe
George Smith
Daniel Manu
Toutai Kefu
Steve Kefu
Mark Gerrard
Rodney Blake

Current-
Tatafu Polota nau
Saia Fainga'a
Anthony Fainga'a
Sekope Kepu
Salesi Ma'afu

Can't think of any more??

Last edited:
While we're at it, Toby Falateu with Wales, born in Tonga, with Tongan parents (His dad was a Tongan international, as was his uncle and grandfather). Wait! No! What am I saying? He's as Welsh as they come! Yes, no stealing or anything going on here. Raised in the valleys by a couple called Dai and Rhiann! Yes! Definatly!

Latest posts