• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tongan rugby

here @IKALETAHI @Tautahi do you keep updated with the Tongan Rugby League ? if so and if they are playing games this week can you please post up scores ? because i would really like to know more about Tongan rugby especially when your about to face us scots soon :)

Last edited by a moderator:
here @IKALETAHI @Tautahi do you keep updated with the Tongan Rugby League ? if so and if they are playing games this week can you please post up scores ? because i would really like to know more about Tongan rugby especially when your about to face us scots soon :)

Tonga rugby League Have no games until April Next Year against the Cook Islands as a World Cup Qualifier. As for Ben Tameifuna there is more to that story than was released. At the end of the day his financial stability with contracts were the most important thing. I still think He will end up opting for Tonga next year. NZRU has said he is in the All Blacks depth plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done to Tonga enjoyed the wY they played in the last quarter against Georgia. Seem to be improving under Jake White. Be interesting to see if we can keep him plus get a few key players in the squad next year.

Tonga rugby League Have no games until April Next Year against the Cook Islands as a World Cup Qualifier. As for Ben Tameifuna there is more to that story than was released. At the end of the day his financial stability with contracts were the most important thing. I still think He will end up opting for Tonga next year. NZRU has said he is in the All Blacks depth plan.
um when i said rugby league i mean't more like the main tournament in Tonga like the Aviva Premiership, Top 14 etc. does Tonga have one and post up scores for that ?

um when i said rugby league i mean't more like the main tournament in Tonga like the Aviva Premiership, Top 14 etc. does Tonga have one and post up scores for that ?
The highest local Premier Club competition this year ended last Month with Champions Marist Apifo'ou taking out the cup with a 36-30 win over Tongan Army side.
Tongatapu Premier Rugby is the highest form of rugby that's played in Tonga. There is Premier division, below it is the senior division and below that is development. There is relegation/promotion between divisions,Traditional major clubs are Marist Apifo'ou, Sila Pelu Ua, Ha'ateiho Spartans, and Toloa Old Boys. Due to the rise of Romanian Superliga and Sri Lankan Pro league many of the local stars have been lured into to these competitions because financial reasons. If you look at or national team we only have one player from the local club competition. Because the gap between the local players and overseas players is massive there is no shortage of talent there it's just no money in the local competition to have academies for player development. That's why many potentially look overseas if given the opportunity.

The highest local Premier Club competition this year ended last Month with Champions Marist Apifo'ou taking out the cup with a 36-30 win over Tongan Army side.
Tongatapu Premier Rugby is the highest form of rugby that's played in Tonga. There is Premier division, below it is the senior division and below that is development. There is relegation/promotion between divisions,Traditional major clubs are Marist Apifo'ou, Sila Pelu Ua, Ha'ateiho Spartans, and Toloa Old Boys. Due to the rise of Romanian Superliga and Sri Lankan Pro league many of the local stars have been lured into to these competitions because financial reasons. If you look at or national team we only have one player from the local club competition. Because the gap between the local players and overseas players is massive there is no shortage of talent there it's just no money in the local competition to have academies for player development. That's why many potentially look overseas if given the opportunity.
thanks man, and yeah there is alot off talent in tonga so i would imagine how many players would be wanted overseas

Im really hoping we can keep Jake White and get a settled squad during the PNC with Super Rugby Players committing. Looking at the amount of Players who are eligible for Tonga who are playing Super Rugby at the moment we could have a really strong squad.

Chiefs:Ben Tameifuna,Pauliasi Manu,Tevita Koloamatangi(capped),Ma'ama Vaipulu. Hurricanes:Willis Halaholo Highlanders:Nasi Manu, Ma'afu Fia. Blues:Liaki Moli,Ofa Tu'ungafasi,George Moala Force:Steve Mafi(capped) Rebels:Colby Faingaa,Lopeti Timani. Waratahs:Tolu Latu

Players who are just starting their Careers so are highly unlikely to joing: Richie Mo'unga,David Havili,Leon Fukofuka,Siate Tokolahi,Tevita Li

I would really like to see Nasi Manu,Colby Faingaa,Maama Vaipulu,Ben Tameifuna,George Moala join the squad along with Tevita Koloamatangi and Steve Mafi return to play for Tonga. Add Jake white into the Mix with some solid time to prepare Tonga could have their strongest performance at a World CUp

If Tonga win in Scotland Jake White needs to be promoted to assistant coach.

He still young needs a chance with a professional setup to develop his game Has potential.

how old is he exactly ?

22 years old I used follow him when he was playing in Auckland club rugby scene, until he moved up North to play Itm. He is our only promising future in Five Eight.

22 years old I used follow him when he was playing in Auckland club rugby scene, until he moved up North to play Itm. He is our only promising future in Five Eight.
yeah very impressive performance, Definitely going to watch out for him near future.

Tongan-born rugby players in Super 15 Championship 2015:

Willis Halaholo (24), Wellington Hurricanes

‘Ofa Tu’ungafasi (22) and Frank Halai (26), Auckland Blues

Ma’afu Fia (25) and Malakai Fekitoa (22, Faleloa Hp), Otago Highlanders

Siate Tokolahi (22), Waikato Chiefs

Lopeti Timani (24, Navutoka Tt), Melbourne Rebels

Taniela Tupou (18, Vaini Tt), Queensland Reds

Tolu Latu (21), NSW Waratahs

Not bad didnt think all these players were born in Tonga.Hopefully Tonga can Get Ma'afu Fia and Tolu Latu to join the Ikale Tahi for this years World Cup along with Nasi Manu,Ma'ama Vaipulu, and George Moala.

http://matangitonga.to/2015/01/08/nine-tongan-born-players-super-15

Tongan-born rugby players in Super 15 Championship 2015:

Willis Halaholo (24), Wellington Hurricanes

'Ofa Tu'ungafasi (22) and Frank Halai (26), Auckland Blues

Ma'afu Fia (25) and Malakai Fekitoa (22, Faleloa Hp), Otago Highlanders

Siate Tokolahi (22), Waikato Chiefs

Lopeti Timani (24, Navutoka Tt), Melbourne Rebels

Taniela Tupou (18, Vaini Tt), Queensland Reds

Tolu Latu (21), NSW Waratahs

Not bad didnt think all these players were born in Tonga.Hopefully Tonga can Get Ma'afu Fia and Tolu Latu to join the Ikale Tahi for this years World Cup along with Nasi Manu,Ma'ama Vaipulu, and George Moala.

http://matangitonga.to/2015/01/08/nine-tongan-born-players-super-15
Well first off all, welcome back, now my question is George Moala maybe born in New Zealand but played for the Tongan under -20 if I'm correct, So he can play for Tonga now but how hasn't be been called up yet, do you know ?

The reason Tonga doesnt always have their strongest squad is not all players accept the invitation to play.

Key players who have been missing from regular test who have previously represented.

Sona Taumalolo(Perpignan),Steve Mafi(Western Force),Halani Aulika(London Irish), and Tevita Koloamatangi(Waikato Chiefs).

I know Tonga have mentioned approaching Pauliasi Manu(Waikato Chiefs) and Ma'afu Fia(Otago Highlanders) only to have both decline. I am pretty sure they would have contacted Nasi Manu(Highlanders) and George Moala(Auckland Blues). With Moalas Tackle breaking ability, if he can tidy up other areas of his game he might be a chance for the All Blacks after the WOrld Cup exodus. I Know alot of players decline because they are told they are in contention for All Blacks selection. That was the case with Tameifuna, where the NZRFU told the IRB he was in the All Blacks plans.

Hopefully though players like Tameifuna, Nasi Manu, and George Moala opt for Tonga this year and take bigger money in France.

The reason Tonga doesnt always have their strongest squad is not all players accept the invitation to play.

Key players who have been missing from regular test who have previously represented.

Sona Taumalolo(Perpignan),Steve Mafi(Western Force),Halani Aulika(London Irish), and Tevita Koloamatangi(Waikato Chiefs).

I know Tonga have mentioned approaching Pauliasi Manu(Waikato Chiefs) and Ma'afu Fia(Otago Highlanders) only to have both decline. I am pretty sure they would have contacted Nasi Manu(Highlanders) and George Moala(Auckland Blues). With Moalas Tackle breaking ability, if he can tidy up other areas of his game he might be a chance for the All Blacks after the WOrld Cup exodus. I Know alot of players decline because they are told they are in contention for All Blacks selection. That was the case with Tameifuna, where the NZRFU told the IRB he was in the All Blacks plans.

Hopefully though players like Tameifuna, Nasi Manu, and George Moala opt for Tonga this year and take bigger money in France.
I think that's a shame, Tonga would be really good with those players, and players might Moala and Manu etc. will have a good chance to play international level

Samisoni Fisilau will be playing for Jersey in the Championship next season. It's not a big club but it's a professional setup which is good news for both player and country. So far most of our amateur/semi-pro players have gotten contracts which is great, allowing them to train and play on a regular basis means fit and inform players when internationals come around.

Latest posts