Top 10 Flankers

TheSaffycen

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
After the weird acid trip that was the other Flankers thread, which had BOD and Fitzpatrick in it, I thought of making one that made more sense :) I'm picking players who are currently injured but are still the best based on their ability
MY TOP 10
1. Pocock
2. Dusautoir
3. Alberts
4. O'Brien
5. Hooper
6. Ferris
7. McCaw
8. Burger
9. Louw
10. Nyanga

Hill
Hill
Hill
Hill
Hill
Hill
Hill
Hill
Hill
Hill

(Seriously, your list looks spot on, although I would seriously consider Dave Seymor.)

I think you're overestimating Thierry Dusautoir unfortunately Saffycen. I'm not going to use the old 'age' argument because before the injury he was really playing at a top level, it as very pleasing to watch in Toulouse. But overall I think a guy like SOB with the sort of power he has is such a force at the breakdown, and Alberts is just a monster at 120kg and he makes his presence and frame felt in those rucks...
Just some time ago, Dusautoir was mobile enough that his relative light-weight status at flanker was compensated by his relentless energy and commitment, plus that power for a 98kg guy...
but now, Dusautoir isn't 2nd world wide man...his leadership qualities and experience of course are intangibles that should be considered too, but still imo.

I think you're overestimating Thierry Dusautoir unfortunately Saffycen

And I don't think you are overestimating him enough :p. That's the problem with French speaking people it takes them time too notice French players like the rest of us do. Also I have just remembered Fernandez-Lobbe and I would put him in other Louw.
If you read or listen too any players who talk about the hardest men they have played against two names always come up Dusautoir and Ferris

And I don't think you are overestimating him enough :p. That's the problem with French speaking people it takes them time too notice French players like the rest of us do. Also I have just remembered Fernandez-Lobbe and I would put him in other Louw.
If you read or listen too any players who talk about the hardest men they have played against two names always come up Dusautoir and Ferris

aaahhh, "right back atcha" huh ?? You happy about that one ? :p good one...
and Lobbe is definitely in my Top 10, good call.

I find it difficult to include guys like Pocock or Burger with the little time they've had. Someone like Juan Smith, Brussow and Elsom would've made my list also a few years ago but injury has kept them out so long it just makes it muddy. Also, someone like McCaw you'd have in there for sure if you're life depended on it but ATM I'm not sure he'd make a Crusaders starting XV on merit where I'd go with 6Whitelock, 7Todd, 8Read if I were Blackadder. But like you said you picked on proven ability rather than form as such.

I'll have a go myself of course rather than just ramble LOL. My personal criteria for selection usually involve me pretending I am a club owner and looking at buying personel so I tend to avoid 'proven class but fragile of late' types or off-the-radar players like McCaw, Ferris, Smith, Burger, Kaino or Brussow or young up and coming players who have been out a while like Arno Botha.

Willem Alberts
Michael Hooper
Sam Cane
Sean O'Brien
Francois Louw
Matt Todd
Liam Messam
Mamuka Gorgodze
Steven Luatua
Allistair Strokosch

I see Lobbe as an 8 though otherwise you can scratch my prvious post and slot him in somewhere near the top.

I find it difficult to include guys like Pocock or Burger with the little time they've had. Someone like Juan Smith, Brussow and Elsom would've made my list also a few years ago but injury has kept them out so long it just makes it muddy. Also, someone like McCaw you'd have in there for sure if you're life depended
Yeah I see your point but someone like Elsom hasn't played for almost 3 years or something stupid like that, whereas Burger and Ferris have comeback and showed something but I do get where you're coming from

Allistair Strokosch

Peter O'Mahony
Alan Quinlan
Denis Leamy
David Wallace
Tommy O'Donnell
Donnacha Ryan
Schmidt Out
Sean Dougall
CJ Stander
Niall Ronan

1. Michael Hooper / David Pocock
2. Francois Louw
3. Steven Luatua
4. Thierry Dusautoir
5. Liam Messam
6. Willem Alberts
7. Sean O'Brien
8. Chris Robshaw
9. Same Cane
Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe
11. Richie McCaw
Sam Warburton
13. Sergio Parisse
Matt Todd
15. Dan Lydiate

Cheers

Last edited:
obrienwater.jpg

Top 10 Second Rows, followed by top 10 props, followed by the dreaded NH vs SH thread. LOOK AT WHAT WE'RE BECOMING, OPEN YOUR GODDAMN EYES!

Top 10 Black Northern Hemisphere blindsides taller than 6'3" who wear a scrum cap.

Top six Scandinavian actors who, if they had the required skill set and were approximately three inches shorter, would make top class scrum halves.

Peter O'Mahony
Alan Quinlan
Denis Leamy
David Wallace
Tommy O'Donnell
Donnacha Ryan
Schmidt Out
Sean Dougall
CJ Stander
Niall Ronan

No Axel? Also O'Donnell should be in there twice. Absolute Leinster bias.
#pashun #Justice4Zebo #ThePenneysdropped #Nagginrugby>Champangerugby #cantspellschmidtwithout****.

Latest posts