• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top 10 Fullbacks

Big Ewis

Hall of Fame
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Toulon
I think it's a good idea to put things in perspective and have a clearer image of where things are at. There are so many quality fullbacks in the world atm, really really good ones, I thought it was a good idea to have different opinions on a Top 10 list:

- Leigh Halfpenny
- Mike Brown
- Israel Dagg
- Israel Folau
- Brice Dulin
- Rob Kearney
- Stuart Hogg
- Amorosino
- Willie Le Roux
- James Pritchard
- Silvere Tian
- Kurtley Beale
- Ben Foden
- Jean-Marcelin Buttin
- Delon Armittage
- Charles Piutau

With Ben Smith considered a wing. Here's a list I thought up, if I forgot anyone worthy just add him/them.
Make your Top 10 FB list, in order.

1. Goode :D
2. Folau
3. Brown
4. Halfpenny
5. Le Roux
6. Beale
7. Dulin
8. Kearney
9. Hogg
10. Foden

1 Israel Folau
2 Ben Smith (because I don't consider him a wing at all :p)
3 Mike Brown
4 Brice Dulin
5 Willie le Roux
6 Charles Piutau
7 Leigh Halfpenny
8 Rob Kearney
9 Israel Dagg
10 Kurtley Beale

I'd like to mention someone also in Cory Jane

01: Halfpenny
02: Brown
03: Folau
04: Hogg
05: Le Roux
06: Foden
07: Nacewa
08: Smith
09: Hernandez
10: JOC (yeah i said it, what?)

1 Israel Folau
2 Mike Brown
3 Willie Le Roux
4 Ben Smith
5 Leigh Halfpenny
6 James O'Connor
7 Stuart Hogg
8 Israel Dagg
9 Rob Kearney
10 Juan Martin Hernandez

Special mention to: Kurtley Beale, Jesse Mogg, Charles Piutau and Tim Nanai-Williams.

Some things I have to say: For example, Israel Dagg is good in ABs but right now in Crusaders he's at a low level. For that reason he isn't in my Top 5. Another example: Ben Smith is very good at fullback in Landers but he's a wing in ABs so I can't pick him in my Top 3. Jesse Mogg was a disaster last year in Wallabies but he's very good in Brumbies. Similar situation with JOC and Wallabies.

Kurtley Beale right now is a second 5/8 so I can't pick him as fullback.

Cheers

Last edited:
1. Inglis
2. Slater
3.folau
4. Hayne
5. Barba
6. Tomkins
7. Halfpenny
8. Brown
9. Dagg
10. Stewart (Brett)

I think it's a good idea to put things in perspective and have a clearer image of where things are at. There are so many quality fullbacks in the world atm, really really good ones, I thought it was a good idea to have different opinions on a Top 10 list:

- Leigh Halfpenny
- Mike Brown
- Israel Dagg
- Israel Folau
- Brice Dulin
- Rob Kearney
- Stuart Hogg
- Amorosino

Amorosino??? Are you crazy???!

He's hated here, even has a special nickname for rugby supporters: "Gonzalez Sin-Hombrosino" which is to say that he has no shoulders, which is why he can't make a decent tackle :D

Brown
Folau
Le Roux
Dagg
Kearney
Halfpenny
Hogg
Beale
Piutau
Dulin

If only Nacewa was still around! Basing it mainly on current form with Dagg as the exception.

Folau -because he's a freak of a talent and destined to become a star at next year's WC
Dagg - not as good as he was in 2011, but still great under the high ball, huge boot on him which gets his team out of trouble. Just love how he seamlessly joins the AB backline to give them an extra dimension.
Brown - what a 6 nations he's had, but he's also taken it to the SH sides when he's faced them. Starting add tries to his great play.

1. Israel Folau
2. Ben Smith
3. Willie Le Roux
4. Mike Brown
5. Israel Dagg
6. Leigh Halfpenny
7. Kurtley Beale
8. Gio Aplon
9. Jesse Mogg
10. Rob Kearney

Hansen has called Brown "one of the best if not the best".

Amorosino has sheer talent, I don't care if he's targeted as a crappy tackler !

I forgot Hernandez, my bad ! Boy this guy was on his way to become a monster...never quite happened. A huge showoff too, unfortunately...still a fan though.

Ben Smith I can only talk AB Rugby and since they play Dagg at 15 and Smith on the wing, I thought I'd present it that way here.

I haven't seen enough of LeRoux but he seems ranked quite high on those lists so far.

Also Dulin is beautifully underestimated here, didn't expect any less of the int'l community. :p

And because I'm too exhausted to make a Top 10, I'll just say I've got Israel Folau, then Mike Brown at 1 and 2.

1. Israel Folau - I don't think there has been such a dangerous attacking fullback in nearly a decade. Few players have been as heavily hyped as Folau and proved to be better. His defence is sometimes a tad suspect, and he doesn't really offer much of a kicking game - but in the air he is a beast and he breaks tackles and scores tries like a champ. It's concievable he will break the record for most tries in a super rugby season if his form continues.

2. Mike Brown - Instinctively I was going to put Brown further down the list - but on form I think it's hard to look past him. He's been both safe and dangerous for England and while I wasn't overly impressed with Nowell this 6 Nations - and have preferred options over May - Mike Brown really didn't put a foot wrong.

3. Willie le Roux - If it wasn't for his not so amazing defense I'd have him probably a bit higher. Very creative fullback who is equally as good on the wing.

4. Ben Smith - He's not a winger in my mind. He's a fullback. I don't think he's exceptionally quick, exceptionally strong or has exceptional skills. He just seems to be able to pick a gap in the defense better than other fullbacks in the world.

5. Leigh Halfpenny - Extremely safe. Has good positioning, good defense and a superb goalkicking game. The only downside is I feel he is somewhat uncreative on attack, and some of his up-and-unders sometimes seems more out of a lack of imagination rather than inspiration.

6. Stuart Hogg - Personally I think he's Scotland's best attacking threat they have had in years. He's still only 21 but he has great speed and skills.

7. Jesse Mogg - Hasn't shown his value yet in international rugby (putting it nicely) - but he's been incredibly dangerous for the Brumbies. He reminds me a lot of Jeff Wilson, has great speed and good skills. He can goal kick well and has a very good kick and chase game.

8. Jared Payne - Another player who is very safe but also very creative. He has a good defensive game but a bit like Ben Smith, knows how to find holes. He's versatile, but without a tonne of acceleration really makes the most with that added bit of space at fullback. Great playmaking game too.

9. Tim Nanai-Williams - Maybe it's cheating as he's been stuck on the wing for the Chiefs, but I feel he is wasted without the space he gets at fullback. I'd rather have him playing than either of Dagg or Piatau. I think he's more creative than either, quicker than either and offers more as a utility.

10. Gio Aplon - Never really sure whether to put him as a wing or fullback - but I'll put him as a fullback as I want him on the list. Easily the best stepping fullback around with huge acceleration. It's criminal how he hasn't been picked more for the Boks. If he made the same number of tackles and scored the same number of tries but was 20kgs heavier and 4'' taller you know he would have been selected a heck of a lot more for the Boks.

Last edited:
Completely forgot about Payne !!!! I would have him over Hogg or Foden

1. Israel Folau
2. Israel Dagg (at his best)
3. Mike Brown
4. Willie Le Roux
5. Leigh Halfpenny
6. James O'Connor
7. Stuart hogg
8. Rob Kearney
9. Gio Aplon
10. Jesse Mogg

not sure if Maxime Medard should be there or Andrea Masi

Last edited:

I forgot Hernandez, my bad ! Boy this guy was on his way to become a monster...never quite happened. A huge showoff too, unfortunately...still a fan though.

Ben Smith I can only talk AB Rugby and since they play Dagg at 15 and Smith on the wing, I thought I'd present it that way here.

I haven't seen enough of LeRoux but he seems ranked quite high on those lists so far.

Also Dulin is beautifully underestimated here, didn't expect any less of the int'l community. :p

And because I'm too exhausted to make a Top 10, I'll just say I've got Israel Folau, then Mike Brown at 1 and 2.

yeah the whole thing is just so one-sided, its bordering on the myopic. Dulin had a great championship. He's been so consistent since he got capped. Brown has absolutely nothing on him...

We will never see enough of Le Roux.

1. Israel Folau
2. Ben Smith
3. Willie Le Roux
4. Mike Brown
5. Israel Dagg
6. Leigh Halfpenny
7. Kurtley Beale
8. Gio Aplon
9. Jesse Mogg
10. Rob Kearney
+1 for bringing Appels into the fold.

1 Israel Folau
2 Mike Brown
3 Willie Le Roux
4 Ben Smith
5 Leigh Halfpenny
6 James O'Connor
7 Stuart Hogg
8 Israel Dagg
9 Rob Kearney
10 Juan Martin Hernandez

Special mention to: Kurtley Beale, Jesse Mogg, Charles Piutau and Tim Nanai-Williams.

Some things I have to say: For example, Israel Dagg is good in ABs but right now in Crusaders he's at a low level. For that reason he isn't in my Top 5. Another example: Ben Smith is very good at fullback in Landers but he's a wing in ABs so I can't pick him in my Top 3. Jesse Mogg was a disaster last year in Wallabies but he's very good in Brumbies. Similar situation with JOC and Wallabies.

Kurtley Beale right now is a second 5/8 so I can't pick him as fullback.

Cheers

Dulin is both excellent with club AND country. doesn't blow hot and cold. I vote for Dulin No1.

+1 for bringing Appels into the fold.

I think he's underestimated because he often gets shafted due to his size but when you look past that he brings a perfect mix of solidity and flair. It makes him a very good player to watch especially in a position like fullback where there's all that space to exploit.

Dulin is both excellent with club AND country. doesn't blow hot and cold. I vote for Dulin No1.

He's a solid player, but nothing more I don't think. A bit like Kearney but Kearney has been solid for a lot longer and gets that last spot on my list.

Latest posts