• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

top 10 movies of all time.

Instead of a conventional top 10 I am going to list my favourites from each genre. I have not seen the Shaw Shank Redemption and although I have heard great things I can't put it on this list. I just realised only one film on this list is more then 10 years old. I am a sucker for new tech get over it.

1: Star Wars Original Trilogy - Sci Fi
2: Lord of the Rings Full trilogy. (2,3,1 in order of preference) - Fantasy
3: Dodgeball - Comedy
4: Saving Private Ryan - War
5: Gladiator - Epic
6: Shrek 2 - Animation
7: National Treasure Book of Secrets - Adventure
8: Al Gores an Inconvenient truth - Factual
9: The Hunt for Red October - Thriller (I think)
10: The Longest Yard - Sport

1 pulp fiction
2 platoon
3 rocky
4 amelie poulain
5 kill bill 1-2
6 la grande vadrouille
7 le gendarme de st tropez
8 stalingrad
9 camping
10 le jour le plus long

I recently saw the ending of La grande vadrouille again :p

I've always preferred L'aille ou la cuisse though, not sure why xD

The average TRF member being either a teenager or a young adult I guess that I should restrict myself to American movies.

1. Citizen Kane

2. The Godfather

3. Casablanca,

4. Raging Bull

5. Singin' in the Rain,

6. Lawrence of Arabia

7. Vertigo

8. 2001: A Space Odyssey

9. The Graduate

10. Chinatown, 1974.

Revised list for those who care:

1. Leon
2. The Shawshank Redemption
3. Taxi Driver.
4. 2001
5. Forrest Gump
6. Apocalypse Now
7. Gladiator
8. A Clockwork Orange
9. Kill Bill vol. 1
10. The Shining

AKA BUMP!

1. Muppets Treasure Island
2. Muppets Christmas Carol
3. Lord of the Rings
4. Gladiator
5. Godfather
6. Scarface
7. Shawshank Redemption
8. Pulp Fiction
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Se7en

I'm no movie expert and I haven't seen some of the movies that are widely considered incredible so I won't make a conventional top 10 list.

There are a few cult classics I rate very highly:

1. Tarantino's 4 big ones - Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and the Kill Bills are characterised by a chopped up chronology, fantastic script and great acting. It's great the influence Kill Bill took from the modern Chinese martial arts epics with the symbolic use of colour as well. Sin City was another beuatifully filmed movie, and also didn't have a continuous storyline.

2. Speaking of Chinese epics, I'd throw in Hero, House Of The Flying Daggers and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon as 3 outstanding films. Firstly because they're great stories, but that's the point of an epic. Mainly it is the beautiful scenery they're shot in; the colour themes; the Tan Dun composed soundtracks; and the balletic fighting.

3. Lord Of The Rings... an Epic trilogy filmed absolutely beautifully. Tolkein did the rest. The 1970s Star Wars films were equally incredible.

4. The classic grimy British film/ social commentary. The sort directed by Ken Loach/ Shane Meadows. I'm thinking Dirty Pretty Things, Made In Britain, This Is England, Bullet Boy, Room For Romeo Brass , Trainspotting etc. These type of films are very perceptive, and rather than using sex/ violence to glorify or dress up the film, they're not afraid to use it to illustrate an ill in society. To this I'd add something like Withnail & I, and Notes On A Scandal. Also these films aren't afraid to give a realistically tragic ending to further make their point. No Hollywood living happily ever afters here. Foreign language equivalents of these grim British films like Cidade de Deus (Brazil) and Tsotsi (South Africa) also go down a treat.

5. Films based on recent political issues; Blood Diamond, Last King Of Scotland and Hotel Rwanda are all outstanding.

6. British gangster films. They aren't overblown, like the American ones. There are the old classics - Get Carter, Long Good Friday , which have beautifully understated plots; fantastic acting and don't all end well. Then there's the modern ones which have a lot of dark humour, fantastic characterisation and almost nonchalant violence. Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch and Layer Cake are all fantastic films. American job Scarface gets in there, but I haven't seen the Godfather.

7. Really well thought out films with a twisting plot, fantastic acting and that grip you. Shawshank Redemption, of the ones I've seen, is the best, but others like Inside Man do the job very nicely.

8. Mel Gibson's stories. The Passion of the Christ was outstanding; the Easter story has been done so many times but I don't think there is any need to do it again after this because the realism is awesome. I am a big fan of the correct language being used when filming anything, and it gave the film credibility. I thought Apocolypto was incredible as well, filmed beautifully, again the language was correct, and the ending haunting.

9. Comedies of any sort are great... Ferris Beuller's Day Off, Road Trip and American Pie will always be the pinnacle of teen movies... and yeah I did like them. In terms of quality comedy.. A Fish Called Wanda and The Full Monty were tip top. But I also loved the sillyness of Ali G Indahouse.

10. A good Western. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is the best of the lot, but the others in that trilogy and also ones like the Magnificent 7 are great. Villians, the Wild West, and a fantastic soundtrack = good movies.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ May 1 2008, 06:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You can't put a trilogy in a single position, especially first! -.-'
I haven't seen all of the movies you listed, so I won't judge. These are mine, also off the top of my head:

10) Kill Bill vol. 1
9) 2001: A Space Odyssey
8) The Shining
7) Gladiator
6) A Clockwork Orange
5) Pulp Fiction
4) The Lion King
3) Leon: The Professional
2) Forrest Gump
1) The Shawshank Redemption

After a few choices, I realised that I wouldn't be able to pick a list off the top of my head. Not one got into your list, so it's good to have some very different opinions.
I'm sure Kubrick would be happy that I chose three of his movies. :D[/b]

By George, throw in Apocalypse Now for Kill Bill and remove Leon: The professional (as I havent seen it) and that is pretty much my top ten! You like Kubrick too?

Yes I'm a Kubrick fan. Must have been hard to deduce that from his three movies in my list. :p
Also, I have Apocalypse Now in my revised (above) list! :eek: We were made to be together!

#1 - Shawshank Redemption
#2 - Predator
#3 - Aliens
#4 - Alien
#5 - Jaws
#6 - Lock Stock n 2 Smokin
#7 - Reservoir Dogs
#8 - The Illusionist
#9 - Caddyshack
#10 - Zoolander

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Jan 28 2009, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yes I'm a Kubrick fan. Must have been hard to deduce that from his three movies in my list. :p
Also, I have Apocalypse Now in my revised (above) list! :eek: We were made to be together![/b]

Seen Full Metal Jacket speedy? Great movie but Apocalypse Now is epic also, Kubrick loses out to Coppola there. Just.

My personal top ten as of this moment... in no particular order...

The Holy Mountain dir. Alejandro Jodorowsky
A Clockwork Orange dir. Stanley Kubrick
Le Samourai dir. Jean Pierre Melville
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie dir. Luis Bunuel
Dead Man dir. Jim Jarmusch
Yojimbo dir. Akira Kurosawa
Once Upon A Time In The West dir. Sergio Leone
Branded To Kill dir. Seijun Suzuki
Pierrot le Fou dir. Jean Luc Godard
Blue Velvet dir. David Lynch

I had Full Metal Jacket recorded on my Sky+ but never got around to watching it. :mad:
And Schindler's List was on last night but I didn't notice it 'til about half way through! :angry:

Indeed. That is uncannily similar to my favourites list.

*Checks for hidden cameras

No particular order

Happy Gilmore
The last boy scout
Return of the Jedi
Point break
Seven Samurai
The Unforgiven
The Prodigal Son (best kung fu choreography ever)
Goodfellas
Stand by me
Memento

I think thats it. I keep suddenly remembering films that deserve a spot.

Im an old school pro when in comes to master baiting, so I dont really watch or rate movies about it very highly. Not in the top ten anyway.

yeah looking back at my original top 10 there's more I'd add but not sure what I'd replace.

I'd definitely have Fargo, Some like it hot, The Butcher Boy, The Usual Suspects & Crash in there but as I said at the time, ask me tomorrow and I'm sure I could give you another top 10.

Latest posts