• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

top 10 movies of all time.

D

danny

I would like to hear what are your favourite 10 movies of all time.Il start with mine( off the top of my head)

1 Godfather trilogy
2 The Deer Hunter
3 Apocalypse Now
4 Jaws
5 The Silence of the Lambs
6 Raging Bull
7 Deliverance
8 Goodfellas
9 The Exorcist
10 Schindlers List

You can't put a trilogy in a single position, especially first! -.-'
I haven't seen all of the movies you listed, so I won't judge. These are mine, also off the top of my head:

10) Kill Bill vol. 1
9) 2001: A Space Odyssey
8) The Shining
7) Gladiator
6) A Clockwork Orange
5) Pulp Fiction
4) The Lion King
3) Leon: The Professional
2) Forrest Gump
1) The Shawshank Redemption

After a few choices, I realised that I wouldn't be able to pick a list off the top of my head. Not one got into your list, so it's good to have some very different opinions.
I'm sure Kubrick would be happy that I chose three of his movies. :D

I put the trilogy in as I think they all roll into one long movie. I know they are not but i view them as one??
There are so many good movies and I love some of yours like the shining and Gladiator but there is only 10 places available.

I definately want, no, need to see Schindler's List. I've seen some scenes from it and it looks brilliant!

1. Indiana Jones and The Raders Of The Lost Ark
  2. Indiana Jones and The Temple Of Doom
  3. Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade
  4. The Naked Gun 2 1/2 :The Smell Of Fear
  5. The Naked Gun : From The Files Of Police Squad!
  6. The Naked Gun 33 1/3 : The Final Insult
  7. 51st State
  8. Gladiator
  9. Alexander The Great (The Golden Oldie)
  10. Jason And The Argonauts (The Golden Oldie)

Having spent a few minutes pondering, this is the list of 10 movies I think I would probably take to a desert island. These are definitely in no order of preference:

Donnie Darko
The Adventures of Robin Hood
The Princess Bride
The Matrix
It’s A Wonderful Life
Trainspotting
Animal House
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
Goodfellas
Gladiator

The list includes a couple of films I watched repeatedly as a child, but for me that doesn’t matter, I still enjoy them every time I watch them as an adult. The rest is a mix of comedy, drama, action and general cinema magic.

I purposefully haven’t included any series of films (trilogies etc) where there isn’t one movie I would want to elevate above one or more of the others. Therefore mentions must go to The Lord of the Rings, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, The Godfather, Pirates of the Caribbean and Spiderman.

Narrowly missing the list were films such as Carrie, Saving Private Ryan, The Karate Kid, Dirty Harry and Sweeney Todd (it may be relatively new, but I enjoyed it hugely).

And there are probably plenty I’ve forgotten and will kick myself about later.

I definately want, no, need to see Schindler's List. I've seen some scenes from it and it looks brilliant!
[/b]
Its a very powerfull film and certainly one of the most emotional films Ive ever watched. Very heavy but superb filmmaking by Speilberg

My choice

Pulp Fiction
The Godfather 1
Once Upon A Time in America
Once Upon A Time in The West
Gladiator
Braveheart
The Sting
The Silence Of The Lambs
Bonnie and Clyde
Goodfellas

there are also some black and white movies that could be in the ten.

You like Temple of Doom more than The Last Crusade? :huh: Well, ok. [/b]

Yeah I thought The Temple Of Doom was darkier than The Last Crusade, and that is probably why I liked it more. Saying that The Last Crusade is a top movie in which Sean Connery put the icing on the cake with his performance. Can't wait for the new movie, 22nd of May can't come soon enough :D

<div class='quotemain'> You like Temple of Doom more than The Last Crusade? :huh: Well, ok. [/b]

Yeah I thought The Temple Of Doom was darkier than The Last Crusade, and that is probably why I liked it more. Saying that The Last Crusade is a top movie in which Sean Connery put the icing on the cake with his performance. Can't wait for the new movie, 22nd of May can't come soon enough :D
[/b][/quote]
Fair enough, but I thought it lacked the sense of adventure which The Last Crusade delivered in bucketloads. The Hitler scene showed the movies ambition, and it is my favourite in the trilogy. And yeh, a decent sidekick (that little Asian kid and blonde woman in ToD were just irritating for me <_< ) in Sean Connery helped.

I think Webby has the right approach on this one, don't think I could put a definitive top 10 together in terms of ranking, however if I was stuck on a neighbouring island then I'd like to have the following dvds with me. If I get bored then I could build a raft.

City of God
South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
Fight Club
The Waterboy
Stand by me
The Shawshank Redemption
Life of Brian
La Haine
Y tu mama tambien
Silence of the Lambs

Ask me again tomorrow though and I could probably come up with an almost completely different 10, obviously some will always be included.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> You like Temple of Doom more than The Last Crusade? :huh: Well, ok. [/b]

[/b][/quote]
Fair enough, but I thought it lacked the sense of adventure which The Last Crusade delivered in bucketloads. The Hitler scene showed the movies ambition, and it is my favourite in the trilogy. And yeh, a decent sidekick (that little Asian kid and blonde woman in ToD were just irritating for me <_< ) in Sean Connery helped. [/b][/quote]

Hold on, you didn't like Rusty (the blonde woman) and Shorty Small (the little kid) :blink: I thought that Shorty Small brought an air of fun into the movie, which is apparent in all the Indiana Jones' Movies. Just had to love some of the lines he came out with, *You listen to me Dr. Jones and you won't die* On your point about Rusty, she was pretty annoying but she was also going to be as they showed her as an up-her-self woman who made a living by dancing. She only really demonstrated her true form close to the end of the movie.

My choice

Pulp Fiction
The Godfather 1
Gladiator
Braveheart
The Sting
The Silence Of The Lambs
Bonnie and Clyde
Goodfellas

[/b]
Braveheart???????????????????????????????????????????????????

<div class='quotemain'>
My choice

Pulp Fiction
The Godfather 1
Gladiator
Braveheart
The Sting
The Silence Of The Lambs
Bonnie and Clyde
Goodfellas

[/b]
Braveheart???????????????????????????????????????????????????
[/b][/quote]

Whats wrong with Braveheart, wouldn't put it in my top ten, but certainly an ace movie.

Anyways, in no particular order:
City of God
Fight Club
American History X
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Lock Stock and two smoking Barrels
Natural Born Killers
Donnie Darko
Pirates of the Caribbean: the curse of the black pearl
Pursuit of Happiness
Forest Gump

these films+ beer= perfect night in!

I don't get The Shawshank Redemption - lot of people love it, and it's always on TV, but what a yawn.

Top three:

Jaws - "need a bigger boat"

Good Fellas - "and now it's all over"

The Comfort of Strangers - "my father wore a black moustache"

but what a yawn.
[/b]
blog7ab7b7d3150752d224be2ec446e6a860.jpg

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Office Space
3. Grosse Point Blanc
4. Falcon and the Snowman
5. Princess Bride
6. Reach The Rock
7. Back to the Future Trilogy
8 .Die Hard with a Vengance
9. Happy Gilmore
10. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

Just missing out - Forrest Gump, Full Metal Jacket and Broken Arrow.

1. A Clockwork Orange
2. City of God
3. For A Few Dollars More
4. Taxi Driver
5. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
6. The Shawshank Redemption
7. Rear Window
8. The Usual Suspects
9. Goodfellas
10. Dirty Harry

Very tough, definitely won't be the same this time next week barring my top 5. Tried to mix it up a bit but all of these movies definitely have a "secure" spot in my top 20.

Honorable mentions are Raging Bull, Godfather pt. I & II, Apocalypse Now, The Deer Hunter, Lock stock & two smoking barrels, Donnie Darko, Requiem For A Dream plus a few more.

Latest posts