Back to the Future
The Shawshank Redemption
Heat
Forrest Gump
Se7en
LA Confidential
Inception
Cinema Paradiso

But there are so many. 10 is very difficult. I have chosen 10 that have stood the test of time for me and I can watch on numerous occasions and get something different from it.

Have you seen Goon? Both the first one and the sequel are pretty good.

Presume you've seen the usuals like Moneyball, The Blind Side, Remember the ***ans, Warrior, Rocky, The Fighter, Coach Carter etc.

FNL is great in all it's versions.
Yeah seen all usuals. The Goon is good too.
Coach Carter and The Fighter are exceptional. Yeah looking for sort of true story type stuff. Huge in to the documentaries too. Where on trip here to SA Ive discovered 24/7 College Football. Anyone who likes hard knocks I'd say will love this.

But back on topic yeah I'm guessing there will be alot of hidden gems

1. Goodfellas
And then in no particular order:
Se7en; the Usual Suspects; Gran Torino; Pulp Fiction; Inglorious Basterds; Back to the Future 2; The Lord of the Rings 2; Black Dynamite; Blue Mountain State: The rise of Thadland

The last two are great and hilarious but very much personal choices, BMS is not, and ought not to be critically acclaimed.

1. Fight club
2. The Big Lebowski
3. The Shawshank Redemption
4. The Matrix
5. Pulp Fiction
6. Collateral
7. Godfather Part 2
8. Unforgiven
9. Twelve Angry Men
10. No Country for Old Men

Some of my favs in that list too. My head is bad for remembering but other favourites of mine.

Aliens
North by Northwest (love Hitchcock films)
The Empire Strikes Back
First Blood (Rambo)
Waking Ned
Withnail and I
True Romance
Mad Max Fury Road
The Dark Knight
Snatch

Thankfully I rate every film i watch as my memory is so bad I'd end up watching the same dud on a loop if I didn't. The only films I've ever given a perfect 10/10 are below and topically enough, three of them are Japanese:

A Touch of Zen - (long and slow old kung fu flick, completely sucks me in and has an awesome last 40mins or so that makes me feel strange)

The Sting - (speaking English is no barrier to movie perfection. I remember actually laughing at how this film just nails everything)

Hana-Bi (aka Fireworks) - written, directed, acted in and featuring paintings of the "Japanese Chris Tarrant" (Beat Takeshi of Takeshi's Castle). This guy is a complete one off. I'll file it under 'drama'. Some of his other stuff is great too, albeit overly similar.

Akira - (best animation and music in a film ever, hand drawn. Can be hard to follow without reading the manga or having repeated viewing - essential for any 12 year old boy who likes sci-fi or dystopian settings)

Dersu Uzala - (favourite Kurosawa film - modernity hits rural Soviet Russia. Also long and slow.)

Some other snorters that I gave 9/10 (focussing on English language films that aren't super old, to make this even remotely worth reading):

Miller's Crossing - (my favourite of the Coen Bros)

The Game - (my favourite Fincher, accesible too)

The Pledge - (overlooked Jack Nicolson crime effort. Directed by Sean Penn and not well acclaimed at all. I thought it was superb)

Wicker Man - (what a bloody awesome musical. They should show this at school instead of West Side Story.)

The King of Comedy - (my favourite Scorsese / De Niro)

Night Crawler - (my favourite film of this decade so far)

12 Angry Men / Anatomy of a Murder (joint best legal)

Terminator 2 (best English language action blockbuster type thing)

View any of these at your own risk as they wont be for everyone. No dubs allowed for foreign language.

(PS - I just noticed I didn't like Friday Night Lights as a film, but the book is top drawer. I'm surprised it gets much love as it is pretty scathing about society if I remember right).
There are some greats on there Bruce, The Game Millers Crossing and Night Crawler are prob in my top 20 tbh (well there's the next thread ;)).

1) The Shawshank Redemption
2) Pans Labyrinth
3) Inception
4) Arrival
5) Lord of the Rings [Extended Cut] - It's one movie.
6) Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind
7) Blade Runner 2049
8) The Dark Knight
9) The Matrix
10) Gone Girl

Probably a tough estimation right now only the top 5 are solid choices I'd always make space for.

Sorry Bushytop I am going to have to object to Green Book. It's good but outside of some excellent central performances it's very average and very middle of the road. If you wanted a film about race and racism in America came out last year BlacKkKlansman was a vastly superior film.

1) The Shawshank Redemption
2) Pans Labyrinth
3) Inception
4) Arrival
5) Lord of the Rings [Extended Cut] - It's one movie.
6) Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind
7) Blade Runner 2049
8) The Dark Knight
9) The Matrix
10) Gone Girl

Probably a tough estimation right now only the top 5 are solid choices I'd always make space for.

Sorry Bushytop I am going to have to object to Green Book. It's good but outside of some excellent central performances it's very average and very middle of the road. If you wanted a film about race and racism in America came out last year BlacKkKlansman was a vastly superior film.

It's all good ncurd, it really surprised me as I never fancied it but when I watched it... both it and in particular Viggo just blew me away.

Any hidden gems for sports movies.
A long week to kill so wondering. Have watched Friday Night Lights after reading the book. 2 very different perspectives but class from both.

Boxing movies are always good. I planned to watch Raging Bull and Southpaw, but haven't gotten to it yet.

No particular order, and trying to think of a blend.

Grosse Pointe Blank (Cusack, Ackroyd, 80's music, black comedy. What more can you ask for?)
Snatch (Brad Pitt shows he's not just a pretty boy, and also like dags)
Event Horizon (this movie gave me both the Heebies and the Jeebies)
Game Night (Absolutely hilarious. A rare funny modern comedy.)
Coyote Ugly (Yeah, it's supposed to be a chick flick, but I love that movie)
Blair Witch (scared the crap out of me, mainly because I first watched in on VHS)
Thor - Ragnarok (By far my favourite of all the MCU movies. Joke a minute stuff)
Greatest Showman (ridiculously catchy songs)

Someone mentioned sport movies, so will throw a couple in to finish
Remember the ***ans
The Blind Side

No particular order, and trying to think of a blend.

Grosse Pointe Blank (Cusack, Ackroyd, 80's music, black comedy. What more can you ask for?)
Snatch (Brad Pitt shows he's not just a pretty boy, and also like dags)
Event Horizon (this movie gave me both the Heebies and the Jeebies)
Game Night (Absolutely hilarious. A rare funny modern comedy.)
Coyote Ugly (Yeah, it's supposed to be a chick flick, but I love that movie)
Blair Witch (scared the crap out of me, mainly because I first watched in on VHS)
Thor - Ragnarok (By far my favourite of all the MCU movies. Joke a minute stuff)
Greatest Showman (ridiculously catchy songs)

Someone mentioned sport movies, so will throw a couple in to finish
Remember the ***ans
The Blind Side
Forgot about Ragnarok, easily fits in to mine somewhere too. Korg and Miek my favourite MCU characters by some distance.

Yeah, Korg and Miek are the best... that scene set in New Asgard in Avengers: Endgame was such a lovely surprise. I kinda thought they might've been killed off between Ragnarok and Infinity War.

#noobmaster

Hana-Bi (aka Fireworks) - written, directed, acted in and featuring paintings of the "Japanese Chris Tarrant" (Beat Takeshi of Takeshi's Castle). This guy is a complete one off. I'll file it under 'drama'. Some of his other stuff is great too, albeit overly similar.
Used to have a Collection of his movies... I watched his Zatoichi and loved it (must watch that again actually) and bought all his films but never got around to watching any of them. I have a problem building up a motivation to watch foreign language movies... I know, I'm not proud of it okay, I'm just super lazy.

Will watch Zatoichi again and if I enjoy it as much as I remember I'll make a concerted effort to at least watch Hana-Bi too.

It's hard for me to make a top 10 as you all mentioned all my favourites, but let me add some more to the list.

Saving Private Ryan
Kill Bill (both films)
Seven Psychopaths
Face/off
The Hangover
The Millers
LOTR: The Return of the King
Deadpool
Bohemian Raphsody
Hacksaw Ridge
Good Morning Vietnam

1. Wanted

2. Fight club

3.Star Wars revenge of the sith

4.Django Unchained

5. Pulp Fiction

6. The Skin I live in (This movie is too hectic)

7.Kill Bill

8.The Wolf of wall street

9.Inglorius basterds

10.Swiss army man

11. Idiocracy

12. Warm bodies

13. Thor ragnarok

14. Team America

15. Kingsman The golden circle

16.The boy in the striped pajamas

17. Pain and gain

18. Neverending Story (Because Velkor, my heart still bleeds for that flying dog)

6. The Skin I live in (This movie is too hectic)

10.Swiss army man

14. Team America
All great but so glad you reminded me about 6. and 10. ... and I love anything by Stone and Parker.

18. Neverending Story (Because Velkor, my heart still bleeds for that flying dog)

Now I wasn't man enough to put that 24 carat children's classic in my list, I salute you. So many memorable scenes, tragedy (and I dont even like horses) and a terrifying enemy (if you dont like dogs).

Best film of my childhood along with The Dark Crystal.

Now I wasn't man enough to put that 24 carat children's classic in my list, I salute you. So many memorable scenes, tragedy (and I dont even like horses) and a terrifying enemy (if you dont like dogs).

Best film of my childhood along with The Dark Crystal.

And an unforgettable song:

Really struggling to narrow this down further:

The Matrix
Shawshank Redemption
Baby Driver
Inception
Guardians of the Galaxy
Deadpool
Fight Club
Pulp Fiction
Back to the Future
Inglorious Basterds
Zombieland
V for Vendetta
The Prestige
Blade Runner
Shaun of the Dead
Sin City
Bad Boys

Personally I'd say the best movie ever is probably Pulp Fiction.

After that I'm not sure, off the top of my head I'd mention Inception, the Dark Knight, Raiders of the Lost Ark (I love Star Wars but Indiana Jones is the better Lucas franchise for me), Se7en, the Godfather part 2 (much prefer it to the original).

All the Toy Story movies are up there as well, shows that Animation/Children's movies can be just as good as 'proper' films really.

Tie between In Bruges and Monthy Python and the Holy Grail for funniest movie as well, they're both incredibly good.

Special mention for The Princess Bride, it isn't the best movie ever but is a favourite for me.

Latest posts