3. Inception
4. Shutter island
5. Snatch
6. Lock stock and two smoking barrells
7. V for vendetta
8. Deadpool 1/2
9. Sucker Punch
10. Django Unchained

I couldnt choose so i left out from the following.
I love star wars/ lord of the rings/ Hobbit films/ marvel films/ and even the star trek reboot stuff

https://www.imdb.com/search/***le/?groups=top_250&sort=user_rating

imdb's top 250 as voted by subscribers. A lot of the films already mentioned here on this list.

Not surprising Shawshank Redemption appears as a lot of people's favourite.

Last edited:
1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
3. Stand By Me
4. Moon
5. City of God
6. Grave of the Fireflies (although I wish I never watched this ******* film)
7. Blade Runner
8. Spirited Away
9. Arrival
10. Mulholland Drive

I really wanted to find room for Sicario, purely because the border crossing scene is possibly my favourite scene of all time.

The problem with these lists for me is that I'm very fickle and I could have an entirely different selection in an hour. Already I'm wondering how I can have a list that doesn't include The VVitch, Pan's Labyrinth, Whiplash, Taxi Driver, 12 Angry Men, A Clockwork Orange, Toy Story, etc. etc.

1. Fight club
2. Shawshank Redemption
3. Inception
4. Shutter island
5. Snatch
6. Lock stock and two smoking barrells
7. V for vendetta
8. Deadpool 1/2
9. Sucker Punch
10. Django Unchained

I couldnt choose so i left out from the following.
I love star wars/ lord of the rings/ Hobbit films/ marvel films/ and even the star trek reboot stuff

I salute you for mentioning Sucker Punch. If ever there was a film that deserved way more credit ,and way less ridicule then it's that film. One of the most mind bending deeply layered films you will find. That is Zack Snyder's best film, in my view.

https://www.imdb.com/search/***le/?groups=top_250&sort=user_rating

imdb's top 250 as voted by subscribers. A lot of the films already mentioned here on this list.

Not surprising Shawshank Redemption appears as a lot of people's favourite.
I despise review aggregation sites plus their ability to get review bombed. Which looks like is happening with Joker.....**** me the discourse with that film I already have a heavy amount of baggage and I've been trying to not read anything. I'm half up for not watching it and just waiting when I can just form an opinion in some kind of void.

The list is interesting though because its essentially the top 250 as decided by internet nerds.

Oh yeah Shawshank is default boring everyone answers as their favorite film, I do to because I'm a mindless drone....its just too damn good to not.

I'll be interested to see the trend of those films over time, I'm fairly certain 12 angry men didn't use to be that high.

I think Interstellar has been reassed over time, lots of people hated it but warmed to it I think as time has moved on. And they got over the nonsence science (nothing annoys me more than people *****ing about nonsence science in sci-fi the clues is in the word fiction guys, stop trying to look smarter than you are and go study astrophysics).

I salute you for mentioning Sucker Punch. If ever there was a film that deserved way more credit ,and way less ridicule then it's that film. One of the most mind bending deeply layered films you will find. That is Zack Snyder's best film, in my view.
For real???

I'm very easily pleased with films, and thought Sucker Punch was probably the worst pile of crap I've ever seen in my life (joint with Sausage Party). It was just absolutely terrible.

I like Sucker Punch a lot, I'm less inclined to think it was intentional by Snyder though as in recent times he's shown himself to be an edgelord douche but like Frank Miller.

Shout out to animated films, Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse almost made my list, so did Miyazacki (Spirited Away, Princess Monoke) probably Pixar and Disney Rennaisance

Looking at IMDB top 250 things that I think are great (as in I'd tell people to watch them) but haven't been mentioned. American History X, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Departed (no I've not watched Internal Affairs), Alien, Aliens, Catch me if you Can, the Truman Show, The Thing, Jurassic Park

Film I'm surprised nobody has mentioned and isn;t in the top 250 Children of Men

For real???

I'm very easily pleased with films, and thought Sucker Punch was probably the worst pile of crap I've ever seen in my life (joint with Sausage Party). It was just absolutely terrible.
Sausage Party is the only film I've ever seen in the cinema that I've walked out of.

I despise review aggregation sites plus their ability to get review bombed. Which looks like is happening with Joker.....**** me the discourse with that film I already have a heavy amount of baggage and I've been trying to not read anything. I'm half up for not watching it and just waiting when I can just form an opinion in some kind of void.

The list is interesting though because its essentially the top 250 as decided by internet nerds.

Oh yeah Shawshank is default boring everyone answers as their favorite film, I do to because I'm a mindless drone....its just too damn good to not.

I'll be interested to see the trend of those films over time, I'm fairly certain 12 angry men didn't use to be that high.

I think Interstellar has been reassed over time, lots of people hated it but warmed to it I think as time has moved on. And they got over the nonsence science (nothing annoys me more than people *****ing about nonsence science in sci-fi the clues is in the word fiction guys, stop trying to look smarter than you are and go study astrophysics).

i would also take them with a pinch of salt. As you said Joker hasn't been out a week and it's in the top 5. Whether it stays there in the long term is another matter.

12 Angry men has been quite high as I recall.

Shawshank is an easy one to love because of its journey and ending, which a lot of people can relate to on some level.

still I like looking them to see films which I may not be aware of, which others recommend.

Sausage Party is the only film I've ever seen in the cinema that I've walked out of.
Literally did the same,
Knew it would be bad but went in after a few drinks expecting it to be so bad that it kinda loops back round to being funny, but it was just really really terrible.
Don't regret my decision after hearing how the film ends, as well.

Children of Men

I enjoyed this film, but only watched it once, so not sure if it's specifically explained which gender is infertile. I always wondered, what happens if it's actually the men who are infertile and the girl who got pregnant was impregnated by the one man who is not infertile, therefore making him the important one and not her. All the attention was on her and yes her child is important, but it may have been the father who was not infertile.

I enjoyed this film, but only watched it once, so not sure if it's specifically explained which gender is infertile. I always wondered, what happens if it's actually the men who are infertile and the girl who got pregnant was impregnated by the one man who is not infertile, therefore making him the important one and not her. All the attention was on her and yes her child is important, but it may have been the father who was not infertile.
Interesting according to the book it is men (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Children_of_Men) but its very different. I suspect with the film framing its the women otherwise the entire films premise falls apart.

I've not seen it in a while and unlikely to soon even though I'd like to. Been suffering with infertility issues with my wife (nothing technically wrong with either of us, just not working for some reason) for a while now and the entire thing will just hit to close to home.

For real???

I just really liked it and i do like his films. I see why alot of people dont aswell though. It is very different and wierd. But i like that.

Interesting according to the book it is men (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Children_of_Men) but its very different. I suspect with the film framing its the women otherwise the entire films premise falls apart.

I've not seen it in a while and unlikely to soon even though I'd like to. Been suffering with infertility issues with my wife (nothing technically wrong with either of us, just not working for some reason) for a while now and the entire thing will just hit to close to home.

Aww sorry to hear things haven't gone to plan, hope there is a change of fortune soon. Yeah the film definitely sets it up around getting the girl to the ship and doesn't really go into to science as much.

1. Godfather 1&2
2. Dr Zivargo
3. Good the bad and Ugly
4. Layer Cake
5. Trainspotting
6. Casablanca
7. This is England
8. Heat
9. Bridge too far
10. Dead man's shoes.

For real???

I agree with you on Sausage Party.

In no particular order and considering how much i liked them when i first watched them

1. Lawrence of Arabia
2. Casablanca
3. Fitzcarraldo
4. Dr Strangelove
5. Jaws
6. The empire strikes back
7. Ben Hur
8. Seven Samurai
9. Amadeus
10. Annie Hall

I feel bad for leaving movies like Jurassic Park out. Most people of my generation had this eureka moment with special effects when they saw the original star wars. I thought JP took it to a whole new level.
I also feel kinda awkward leaving people like Fellini out, or having no westerns or too few comedies.

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
3. Stand By Me
4. Moon
5. City of God
6. Grave of the Fireflies (although I wish I never watched this ******* film)
7. Blade Runner
8. Spirited Away
9. Arrival
10. Mulholland Drive

I really wanted to find room for Sicario, purely because the border crossing scene is possibly my favourite scene of all time.

The problem with these lists for me is that I'm very fickle and I could have an entirely different selection in an hour. Already I'm wondering how I can have a list that doesn't include The VVitch, Pan's Labyrinth, Whiplash, Taxi Driver, 12 Angry Men, A Clockwork Orange, Toy Story, etc. etc.
Out of all the lists so far this one rings truest to my tastes. Quality 1-10, even the "missing" ones at the bottom (agree with fickle traits too). I've had various things going on so haven't seen too many films in recent years but of those, I'll try to do a list in no particular order aside from one;

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - hands down the best film of recent times for me. Amazing on so many levels.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - I don't really like Marvel movies but this one really hit the spot, including the feels.

Guardians of the Galaxy - as above, think I like it ever-so-slightly less overall.

Blade Runner - yeah, the new one. Enjoyed it an awful lot and that score + visuals? Mmm.

Vvitch - I don't really do horror movies any more despite some of my all time favourites being fully in that genre. This one is special and different though.

The Shape of Water - and whilst on a horror tip, how about subverting a tired trope ridden genre by turning a classic B-movie horror on it's head?

Solo - probably a controversial inclusion but as I'm not a Star Wars purist I was quite happy with the direction it took. Fun adventure, nice FX.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Disney showing Lucas what he should have done. Rinses Episodes 1 - 3, and at least on a par with 4 and 6.

Overlord - I need the occasional bit of schlock in my life and lists, this is it but with an overgrown budget. Predictable, OTT; perfect for a noisy, interactive movie drink with the other half or friends.

Am I at 10 yet? No. Parental duty calls, I've no doubt forgotten a couple of things anyway so will add later. Just to reiterate before people get upset, this isn't a GOAT list although I could understand one or two being in one for some. :p

Latest posts