• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top 10 Stadiums in the world

M

Meh

NZ Rugby world magazine named the top 10 stadiums in the world in their opinion.

1 - Millennium Stadium (Cardiff, Wales);
2 - Suncorp Stadium (Brisbane, Australia);
3 - Yarrow Stadium (New Plymouth, New Zealand);
4 - Croke Park (Dublin, Ireland);
5 - Twickenham (London, England);
6 - Stade Aime Giral (Perpignan, France);
7 - Newlands (Cape Town, South Africa);
8 - The Greenyards (Melrose, Scotland);
9 - Thomond Park (Limerick, Ireland);
10 - Stadio Flamino (Rome, Italy).

Do you agree and what are your faves?

Think that Murrayfield and Stade de France should be in there somewhere.

If Twickenham is 5th, the rest must really be ****.

HQ is big, but it's ugly and has no atmosphere.

is there a link to the article?

I take it they based it on historical significance. Millennium Stadium: 1st retractable roof; Suncorp: 100 000 seater; Newlands: 1000 years old.

I went to Stadio Flaminio this year to see Italy vs France and the entire weekend was a total laugh.

My only concern was that all the extra scaffolding erected to get the capacity up to <strike>25,000</strike> <strike>35,000</strike> <strike>37,000</strike> nobody actually knows to substitute for the fact that the FIR can't decide on whether they want to move to the Olympic Stadium in Rome or move it up to Turin or Milan..it was bloody dodgy with a high wind at times. The thing was moving around all over the place and when the Italians start stamping their feet in the South Stand everything starts shaking!

Have enjoyed out time at Croker but in general given the size of the stadium its difficult to judge the atmosphere. However, it is the Stadium that holds the attendance record for a club match, on a day when the atmosphere was better then any other I've ever witnessed, it deserves a slot somewhere in the list.

Thomand park as the ground with a capacity in the 20,000 mark, but hosted a game attended by millions also deserves to be there.

No way the Stade de France isn't there. It's huge and awesome.
If you want to chose a provincial french stadium in terms of atmosphere I would pick Toulon's Stade Mayol, although I hate Toulon it's an absolute roman arena in there...

Do you know what the criteria were? Millenium stadium is a magnificent monument to Engineering and its atmosphere is probably amazing when the Welsh start singing with beers in hands, but doesn't the grass die in the corners where the sun never reaches? I also thought Ellis Park would be ahead of Newlands?

Yarrow Stadium... what the hell?

All%20Blacks%20Captain%20s%20Run%20187WNwuuZcYl.jpg

Yeah, great atmosphere there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KZNSharksFan @ Jun 6 2009, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Do you know what the criteria were? Millenium stadium is a magnificent monument to Engineering and its atmosphere is probably amazing when the Welsh start singing with beers in hands, but doesn't the grass die in the corners where the sun never reaches? I also thought Ellis Park would be ahead of Newlands?[/b]

I'm guessing the criteria was something to do with historic significance such as Steve-o pointed out, or atmosphere or perhaps just the setting of the Stadium (where it's located, nice area or in the middle of shitsville ala Ellispark).

I would have thought Loftus would be up there, it's an amazing stadium in my opinion, none of the vertigo you get at Kings park, big enough to automatically be a world cup stadium and actually looks really good.
I understand Newlands as it's the oldest stadium in the world after lansdown road (which I'm not sure is open again) it's also privately owned and has a really good atmosphere (been there a few times).

no idea about most of the others though.

Sunnnnnnnnnnnnccccccccoooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrpppppppppppppppppppppppppp
pp

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KZNSharksFan @ Jun 6 2009, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Do you know what the criteria were? Millenium stadium is a magnificent monument to Engineering and its atmosphere is probably amazing when the Welsh start singing with beers in hands, but doesn't the grass die in the corners where the sun never reaches? I also thought Ellis Park would be ahead of Newlands?[/b]

well given the north stand has concrete cancer that's not exactly a ringing endorsement of quality engineering! Still though can't fault the atmosphere.

Well, what are they basing the opinions on?

Engineering?
Atmos?
Capacity?
Features?

I have only been to Twickenham and Apia Park really. Twickenham is nothing special, yeah it's the home but as Mite says, unless it's rammed, it's not actually that great for a large stadium. Apia Park is cool, it's no massive feat of engineering, but as the locals love their rugger so much, they just don't stop wooping for the 80 minutes!

Oh and i love their big screen.. it's as big as a small mountain, but it's cool. You don't need a closed in stadium to have a top atmosphere.

Well all you guys say Yarrows has nothing but the critics who made this list beg to differ.

I did actually point that out on the first post ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ("Meh")</div>
NZ Rugby world magazine named the top 10 stadiums in the world in their opinion.[/b]

Latest posts