• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top 10 Test Matches of 2014

RWC2011Fan

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Ireland
After the All Blacks games against the Springboks and Ireland last year, I thought 2013 would be hard to top, rugby-wise. I think it's fair to say that 2014's held up pretty well. This year's Six Nations was absolutely cracking compared to last year's, and although I think that, overall, the Rugby Championship, the mid-year tests, and the end-of-year tours weren't as good as last time, there were a lot of great contests scattered throughout the year. The matches that were good, were really, really good and so many of them went right down to wire.

So, my Top 10 Test Matches of 2014 were (not sure about the order):

10. New Zealand 28 England 27
09. New Zealand 14 South Africa 10
08. France 29 Australia 26
07. New Zealand 29 Australia 28
06. South Africa 31 Wales 30
05. Ireland 22 France 20
04. France 26 England 24
03. Ireland 26 Australia 23
02. England 13 Ireland 10
01. South Africa 27 New Zealand 25

Honourable mentions go to Scotland 21 Italy 20 and South Africa 28 Australia 10 (just for those insane last 10 minutes)

Of course there's still two matches to go and South Africa vs. Wales is always an exciting game, so I won't be surprised if that breaks on to the list come next week.

And just for the hell of it, the Top 3 Worst Test Matches of 2014:

03. South Africa 13 Argentina 6
02. England 20 Scotland 0
01. Australia 6 France 0

Weird to think that this time next year, there'll be another name on the World Cup. Can't wait!

1. South Africa beating NZ in Saffaland
2. NZ beating Aussies in the last min.
3. Argentina defeating the Aussies
4. IRE vs Saffas
5. IRE vs Aussies
6. France beating the Aussies
7. Aussie draw vs NZ
8. Samoa vs Fiji
9. Samoa beating Italy
10. France vs Fiji

Last edited:
I can't disagree with that list from RWC Fan.

Yeah hard call, heaps of good games in that list, I also liked

Ireland vs SA just for the result
Argentina > Aus was a big moment
NZ win over Aus at Eden park for sheer awesomeness

It probably doesn't count but the Barbarians v Oz at Twickenham was a great watch.

Honourable mentions go to Scotland 21 Italy 20 and South Africa 28 Australia 10 (just for those insane last 10 minutes)

Of course there's still two matches to go and South Africa vs. Wales is always an exciting game, so I won't be surprised if that breaks on to the list come next week.

And just for the hell of it, the Top 3 Worst Test Matches of 2014:

03. South Africa 13 Argentina 6
02. England 20 Scotland 0
01. Australia 6 France 0

very good post. +1. Good active contribution to and work for the forum. It's pretty much all there, no need to think my own Top 10 up when yours is pretty good and fair. I would DEFINITELY add the Pumas vs Boks game though in that Top 10, inevitably.

I like your Top 3 worsts too ! SA ARG was really cool for me because it was a ridiculous turnaround from the previous year's fixture (74 to 10 or wtvr....) but the game itself wasn't fantastic. SCO ENG and AUS FRA test 2 were fkng awful indeed, and I'd add the first test of that series because even if you're an Aussie, there's absolutely no joy in watching your team destroy a band of clowns for 80min. The first 2 tries maybe, but then it's just a non-event. I believe France as the xv de France never played such a bad game in their existence (dating back to when we became relevant, that is).

I like your first honorable mention, kudos for bringing up an "unattractive" fixture like ITA SCO. I'd definitely add the Pumas beating Aus and winning their first ever TRC game, and in front of the home crowd.

For the part I bolded, we all know how this one's going to end...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Sorry Wales !..

Anyone who watched the England Ireland match will realise that you can't leave it out. Cracking game.

no mention of Argentina beating Aussie? I didn't see the game but it's a significant result.

very good post. +1. Good active contribution to and work for the forum. It's pretty much all there, no need to think my own Top 10 up when yours is pretty good and fair. I would DEFINITELY add the Pumas vs Boks game though in that Top 10, inevitably.

I like your Top 3 worsts too ! SA ARG was really cool for me because it was a ridiculous turnaround from the previous year's fixture (74 to 10 or wtvr....) but the game itself wasn't fantastic. SCO ENG and AUS FRA test 2 were fkng awful indeed, and I'd add the first test of that series because even if you're an Aussie, there's absolutely no joy in watching your team destroy a band of clowns for 80min. The first 2 tries maybe, but then it's just a non-event. I believe France as the xv de France never played such a bad game in their existence (dating back to when we became relevant, that is).

I like your first honorable mention, kudos for bringing up an "unattractive" fixture like ITA SCO. I'd definitely add the Pumas beating Aus and winning their first ever TRC game, and in front of the home crowd.

For the part I bolded, we all know how this one's going to end...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Sorry Wales !..
I was in the stadium in Mendoza, and I'll remember that match like one of the highlights of my life, 14 down at the begining and then winning was awesome. And the match vs the Boks in Salta was great to. I predict for the next year the first ever win for Arg vs SA.

Latest posts