• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top 14 Day 12

well Romain Tao was suspended this entire time, remember. He was cited. I'm a fan of the guy, and yep he's got some soft hands for such a monster, made 3 offloads the other day.
In a perfect world, I'd want Tao+Maestri and a more focused-on-the-game Papé and a Vahaa who actually plays as he should consistently.

agreed. I'd have Tao+Maestri as our best combo. Papé on the bench. He is limited technically but you need him a guy like him in a team. He reminds me of many forwards I've played with who were not the most skilled but real grafter and team players with a big heart. He's got some leadership as well.

There's no doubt about Vahaamahina's Rugby ability, this isn't one of those "what if/how could've been if"...we KNOW what he can do, and we've seen how easily he could do it.
We're talking about a 2m +, 120kg+ guy with better mobility than he should have, more quickness than he should, and just natural athleticism and an ease on a Rugby field few have given his dimensions. He's actually got good technique to go along with it. If he really wanted, he'd carry like a beast Picamoles-style, turnover on the ground like an openside flanker, and would add loads of power to the defense and rucks and French pack overall.
People as usual have exaggerated his performance against the Pumas, he just didn't get much ball, but he was there putting in some effort, but yes there are times you wonder if he's even happy to be selected *at all*...I don't understand him. He's still very young, mind you. 23yo...

but he is not judged for his time ball in hand as a 2nd row...

Yeah the Toulon Clermont game was up to standard, the only for the weekend at that...everybody else was rusty as fk, it wasn't pretty.

I wonder how many games in the CC this weekend will match that game in quality and intensity...

ohh...that is sad news...that you're going to have to watch your wife's birthday on replay...

UN club de Rugby
UNE équipe de Rugby
If you're talking about "them" though as in les Racingmen you'll say 'ils' obviously, masculine plural.

And yeah, Castres Racing and Toulouse Grenoble definitely the other particularly interesting games for me this weekend. Have to wait for a bit more info before prediCKting...

That is very helpful, thank you. I'd +rep you but I have already elsewhere..

I see RM got through unscathed. I'll see if I can get time to watch the game 'after the fact' (which unfortunately takes a lot out of it). Oh, but I can't complain as we had a lovely little break away and the weather really is beautiful this time of year in the Cape.

So, that's Top14 taking a break now for the Euro challenge cup after being one week back from the internationals... the organizers aren't overly keen on making it easy for an outsider to follow European rugby..

I think you're mistaken about the role of a 2nd row probably because you've never played the game.

A 2nd row has to be able to show grunt and physicality before he shows off skills. He is not there to shine ball in hand and offload like a centre. He has to do the hard graft FIRST before anything else. Because that's his job. They don't call it la cage for nothing...And Vaha didn't do that agst Arg. He went missing in far too many rucks. He didn't bring the power & Grunt the staff said he would.

My point is Vaha has been asked to fullfill a role for which he is not cut out. That's just another red flag for the staff. Look at the level of (positive) aggression & physicality the Arg forwards brought into the game. What a contrast. This is what made the difference, not athleticism or better hands. There was only Papé Guirado & LeRoux to match them. Not enough. Chouly was taking a leak as well...
Just being big and athletic isn't enough when the opposition is just the same. He doesn't show enough aggression and physicality esp. at international level because I don't believe it's in his make-up and many Perpignan fans have been saying it since he started playing for them.

C'est un grand caramel mou ton Vaha :lol:

Oh I see. How very insightful. Why, thank you for that FranFench.

I was making the point Vahaa has tremendous potential outside of the common functions awarded to 2nd rowers. Of course the fact that he, not so much shies away from physicality, but lacks the will is what everybody in France is complaining about. I don't think he's "not cut out for it", he's produced some excellent games already in Clermont this season. But again, he lacks the hunger at times, he's just disinterested it seems intermittently.

For Chouly I agree, he's a technician not a "bourrin" or a contact-frenzied forward. Of course he can put his body on the line too, but he's indeed about skill over physicality. We need Picamoles back, sorry Guy ;)

About our second row, Papé isn't only limited technically :p but yes he's always answered present in the in-your-face department. Of course he's the kind of guy who'll cost you a win over Ireland off a basic pass out wide, because he can't keep his emotions in check, but it's the price to pay every now and then, this time it was a very big one to pay. Papé has leadership though ??...no, he's got raw energy and a big mouth, but that isn't leadership. His leadership skills include yelling at Hugo Bonneval for himself throwing the kid a pass into the middle rows of the Cardiff stands and being at the forefront of the France meltdown of late, whether that takes its source elsewhere.

@TRF_stormer2010 (godddd, so long to type !!!)
my pleasure and yes 3 weeks break, one Day and then it's no Top 14 again for another 3 weeks :p a bit weird but that's just how it panned out this year.

About the Racing game:
http://www.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/match/232479.html

Lauret was very good in every compartment, scrum was so so, Thomas was kept in check well, VdM showed some power and Kruger was his usual self pretty good all around, they really should have won by a lot more as Lapeyre botches a try opportunity 3 on 1 type for Thomas out wide, and they missed a ton of goal kicks.

Goosen looked very good. He missed a lot of goal kicks like I said, but a lot were very long and he made another drop; and showed real intent to play running ball and some creativity. He's seemed more comfortable playing in France in the past 3-4 games than earlier in the year there where he looked like just a big Saffa boot. He's settling in nicely, but of course still very young needs lots of work.
Is he really a 10 though, is the bigger question:
I think he definitely lacks the physicality to be a 12 but would've been a good playmaker there, he's a good 10 in that he's got a very long, powerful kick, good accuracy from the foot and can create for his backs but doesn't have the right tactical aspect in his game, and then he's a pretty good 15 but a lot of what he does goes to waste back there.

Oh I see. How very insightful. Why, thank you for that FranFench.

I was making the point Vahaa has tremendous potential outside of the common functions awarded to 2nd rowers. Of course the fact that he, not so much shies away from physicality, but lacks the will is what everybody in France is complaining about. I don't think he's "not cut out for it", he's produced some excellent games already in Clermont this season. But again, he lacks the hunger at times, he's just disinterested it seems intermittently.

For Chouly I agree, he's a technician not a "bourrin" or a contact-frenzied forward. Of course he can put his body on the line too, but he's indeed about skill over physicality. We need Picamoles back, sorry Guy ;)

About our second row, Papé isn't only limited technically :p but yes he's always answered present in the in-your-face department. Of course he's the kind of guy who'll cost you a win over Ireland off a basic pass out wide, because he can't keep his emotions in check, but it's the price to pay every now and then, this time it was a very big one to pay. Papé has leadership though ??...no, he's got raw energy and a big mouth, but that isn't leadership. His leadership skills include yelling at Hugo Bonneval for himself throwing the kid a pass into the middle rows of the Cardiff stands and being at the forefront of the France meltdown of late, whether that takes its source elsewhere.

I've nuancé my propos about Vahamina from my previous post ;)
Just as an edit, and I don't want be unfair to Vahaa. I don't doubt his ability and potential. But I honestly think he has been picked into the wrong role. Just like moving him to back row last year was a mistake because he is just not a back row by trade nor by size. I find it unfair and stupid to pick guys out of position and expect them to deliver at international level. It's just bad coaching. Which brings us back to the real issue, not Vahaamina's ability but poor coaching. I could see him better used agst 2nd tier nations (did he play agst Fiji?) to give him time to develop. I wouldn't pick him agst the pack of Pampa hounds because it's just not the game for him. Coaching..................

Mama isn't the most physical second rower in the world either, but he's a workhorse and gets the job done every day. But he's a "lighter" option that would've given us more mobility on defense, and commitment. I guess as a coach they should've known to keep Vahaa on the bench...but I insist he wasn't as insipid as you say, I've watched the Arg match a couple of times and yes he wasn't filling the screen but he was there though. Made one huge carry and fend (even a clean break), completed 12/12 tackles (highest for France with Le Roux), grabbed all 3 his lineouts. All that in one half !

that's half of the job :p and he didn't bring the grunt and power he was picked for, but that's not his fault, it's just another coaching blunder...

that's half of the job :p and he didn't bring the grunt and power he was picked for, but that's not his fault, it's just another coaching blunder...

it is. They know he lacks hunger, so they should've stimulated those digestive enzymes a maximum optimum ultimatum issimo. A coach should take exception with this boy, knowing he needs special attention to unleash the potential. Some guys do it on their own: Papé, Dusau, Nyanga, Burban, Le Roux...never need to tell them anything, even on a bad team they'll put in the work and enthusiasm. But some guys, it's just natural, need encouraging and motivation from the outside, from others.

UnluckyFragrantGlassfrog.gif

Not everyone cursed the rain last weekend at Toulouse.

Grenoble made the most of it and so did 2 new signings. Both wingers by the look of it. Full credit to them they ran all the way from behind their try line like the Toulouse of old time Even Guy Noves can't remember last time it happened...:p

Vincent Clerc'd better careful and should try sliding as opposed to running which he doesn't seem able to do any more

Last edited:
yeah I thought that was pretty hilarious honestly. Canal totally let the cams catch their dicks too, and repeatedly not just the one accident :p

And yes Vincent Clerc's definitively done for..... :( :(

I'd like to ask your thoughts about the penalty try awarded to La Rochelle, a disgrâce to me but i'm not objective when it comes to Bayonne...

Not sure what's wrong with Flood and why he's not playing. He doesn't like rain i think.

Doussain has showed is more than an able 10. So is Bézy. There always Mc Alister. But I'd like to see a Doussain Bézy partnership tried. I hope we do as Bézy has been in good form.

My wish was fulfilled v Glasgow :) And they delivered

I'd like to ask your thoughts about the penalty try awarded to La Rochelle, a disgrâce to me but i'm not objective when it comes to Bayonne...

couldn't watch that game. Tried hard to get it, because I'm making a compilation of Charles Ollivon over the full year and needed his highlights, but they never put it out online... :/

Latest posts