• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top 14 Top Earners

if you want a competitive TOP 14 let's have some of the best players in the World present alongside the best French players.
The career of a rugby player is not long and certainly very short earing big money, eg Wilco took a 30% cut in Salary this year just to stay at Toulon. As i have said before we see some of the best players week in week out in the TOP 14 if the French National team has to suffer then so be it, i watch 26 + a minimum of 6 H Cup game per season with the best how can you complain at that bloody marvelous!!!!!!! can't wait for Rene Ranger to arrive from what i have seen of him he will do Montpellier no harm at all.

if you want a competitive TOP 14 let's have some of the best players in the World present alongside the best French players.
The career of a rugby player is not long and certainly very short earing big money, eg Wilco took a 30% cut in Salary this year just to stay at Toulon. As i have said before we see some of the best players week in week out in the TOP 14 if the French National team has to suffer then so be it, i watch 26 + a minimum of 6 H Cup game per season with the best how can you complain at that bloody marvelous!!!!!!! can't wait for Rene Ranger to arrive from what i have seen of him he will do Montpellier no harm at all.

That's a bit Shortsighted... Meanwhile in SA, NZ, and Aus the Super Rugby is still going strong, with great players... Yet they have the additional advantage of breeding young future stars who will most probably also go to France at some stage.

Us SH players, unions, and fans aren't complaining, and the bonus is, our National teams aren't struggling or going to suffer.

You can't wait for certain guys to arrive, I couldn't wait for certain guys to leave... Wynand Olivier for example. Now I can watch the Bulls play better rugby with a 12 that can actually pass the ball...

Surprised Hayman gets paid that much considering how he's played since the move there. Though I guess he's a big name, so that'll rake in a few extra fans and therefore is worth a few extra euros in the pay packet.

Surprised Hayman gets paid that much considering how he's played since the move there. Though I guess he's a big name, so that'll rake in a few extra fans and therefore is worth a few extra euros in the pay packet.

Also don't forget he's a tighthead they're generally one of the top paid positions.

Also I'm going to be a bit precious and ask why out of all those players Sexton's payment is crazy.... :D

Amazing to think they are some of the highest earning rugby players are still earning peanuts when compared to footballers per week. Unsure how true to it but apparently Rooney earns over £220,000 per week : http://www.ftbpro.com/posts/lawrenc...ighest-paid-football-players-per-week-updated

That's some crazy ****. I wouldn't know what to do with that kind of money coming in.

I know it's crazy just look at the Forbes top earners list. http://www.forbes.com/athletes/list/

Most rugby players will have to continue working after their playing careers are over.

Imagine earning £40+ million a year. I wouldn't be able to consider how to spend it. Would just fill a big bath with it and that'd do me.

The UK average salary is £26,500 per year. These guys are earning significantly more than that in a week. Tiger Woods is earning more than two-hundred times that in a week. It's ridiculous.

This has to include sponsorship deals and other means of income, surely? I mean, Szarzewski can't be the seventh most paid, unless you include that he models on the side too?

This list is nearly entirely made up of players who have been imported and signed with an already big reputation. There are few like Fofana, Trinh-Duc or Clerc who have risen up through the club.

I would also say that Racing are overpaying for Szarzewski and Roberts, they could find better for that money especially considering Roberts is a bit overrated tbh and his performances at club level isn't anything special, his injury record is pretty poor also and of course he would be missing with international. Toulon will get far more value from Giteau for the same wage.

Also don't forget he's a tighthead they're generally one of the top paid positions.

Also I'm going to be a bit precious and ask why out of all those players Sexton's payment is crazy.... :D

It just stuck out to me, he isn't exactly head and shoulders above many other 10's floating around and is on probably double what Aaron Cruden is on; I'd take Cruden any day of the week above Sexton.

Amazing to think they are some of the highest earning rugby players are still earning peanuts when compared to footballers per week. Unsure how true to it but apparently Rooney earns over £220,000 per week : http://www.ftbpro.com/posts/lawrenc...ighest-paid-football-players-per-week-updated

That's some crazy ****. I wouldn't know what to do with that kind of money coming in.

rugby is small time mate... Sidnery Crosby who is probably the top NHL hockey player makes $230769 a week

All the more power to rugby that these are the most well-paid, I say.

All the more power to rugby that these are the most well-paid, I say.

Yeah good luck to them. It is just interesting there is just a disparity between these guys and other better players playing elsewhere. It would be like if the best basketball players in the world weren't playing in the NBA and were getting paid a lot less than inferior players.

Yeah good luck to them. It is just interesting there is just a disparity between these guys and other better players playing elsewhere. It would be like if the best basketball players in the world weren't playing in the NBA and were getting paid a lot less than inferior players.
Pride and loyalty counts for a lot in rugby still and it brings a tear to my eye.

It just stuck out to me, he isn't exactly head and shoulders above many other 10's floating around and is on probably double what Aaron Cruden is on; I'd take Cruden any day of the week above Sexton.

It's called market forces.

The European market is considerably more lucrative than the SANZAR one
Sexton is one of the top 10's in Europe if not the best so he demands a high salary.

If Cruden, Carter or even possibly Barrett were playing in Europe they would obviously have a high salary as well.

Latest posts