• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top clubs ponder switch to summer season

Ah **** off ...the ground is too hard in the summer...Rugby is for the bitterly cold winter , throwing yourself around in the slop...no leave the summer for 7's or something but I will play my bog ball in the icy slop thank you very much

With the increasingly cold winters we've been seeing (although this year has been unusually mild), the pitches have been pretty rock-hard during the winter months aswell. The disruption we saw last year with re-arranged fixtures everywhere would be nice to avoid.

I personally think that the NH season needs to be completely overhauled, and introducing a global calendar would make a huge amount of sense if we want the game to grow. I don't see a problem playing during the summer months, although there could be some problems in the South of France when temperatures get a little high. Something needs to be done about the fragmented nature of the season here aswell, where players and clubs are forced to deal with a few weeks of club competition followed by a couple of Europe, then there's the farce of the LV. This is all before we factor in the breaks for the 6 nations etc. It's a bloody mess and needs to be sorted asap. Bringing in a global calendar isn't totally necessary, but general re-structuring is.

Suppose in the South of france u could play games later on in the day/evening. They do this a lot anyway, plus they start their season in Aug, which is pretty hot.

Suppose in the South of france u could play games later on in the day/evening. They do this a lot anyway, plus they start their season in Aug, which is pretty hot.
Exactly, seems to work for Catalan Dragons.

Yeah, I agree a global calender is a good idea. Right now it's a mess and it actually means teams like Samoa, Fiji, Argentina, Canada, USA, Georgia etc, which rely on players playing in Europe, don't get the players for the tests, because clubs aren't willing to lose their foreign players and their homegrown talent during the current international windows which are open during season.

I also agree with a Club World Cup, as it would generate huge interest and rivalries and it would make the game global on yet another level, especially if teams from New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, England, France, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Italy, Argentina and Japan were involved. It would be amazing. I think it would also give a great oppertunity to shut Stuart "We've got the best clubs" Barnes the **** up.

What I disagree with, is the clubs restructuring the system to only allow three months of international rugby. It's just cutting themselves a too large piece of the pie, and the NZRU would really suffer without the money All Blacks tests generate (SupeRugby doesn't generate anything and ITM Cup runs at a big loss). The only positive thing about this is that All Blacks would all have to be avalible for the ITM Cup (as there is no Tri Nations during this period, according to English clubs <_<) which would probably generate a more interest.

With the increasingly cold winters we've been seeing (although this year has been unusually mild), the pitches have been pretty rock-hard during the winter months aswell. The disruption we saw last year with re-arranged fixtures everywhere would be nice is.

Now, I may be wrong, but I think that lucky number 7 may have used the comedic device known as "sarcasm".

Would be very concerned about his attitude if not. :s

What I disagree with, is the clubs restructuring the system to only allow three months of international rugby. It's just cutting themselves a too large piece of the pie, and the NZRU would really suffer without the money All Blacks tests generate (SupeRugby doesn't generate anything and ITM Cup runs at a big loss).
I agree with this but also think that this is the one area where the French and English clubs would be willing to negotiate since they know it wouldn't be a runner. Rather that one 16 week test rugby window, there would be a smaller winter (in the NH) window and a 4 or 5 week window during the NH summer. Say the Unions have their players for a block 9 week and 4 week period. The clubs have their players for 33 weeks and there's a 6 week rest period from mid-November to the start of January. If each side gives a little, a compromise could be reached.

Now, I may be wrong, but I think that lucky number 7 may have used the comedic device known as "sarcasm".

Would be very concerned about his attitude if not. :s
Borderline..I just don't want my drinking and beach season disrupted by my rugby :p

But being serious now....No thank you summer..rugby is more craic in the winter .

Latest posts