• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top European Dream team currently

bazwaz

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Chiefs
...Anyone have any opinion on a NH dream team based on current form...that would include only players that will be playing 6 Nations...i.e no Kiwis . Saffas , Aussies or PI's..

Pretty subjective I know..

...Anyone have any opinion on a NH dream team based on current form...that would include only players that will be playing 6 Nations...i.e no Kiwis . Saffas , Aussies or PI's..

I'm sure there will be lots of debate on this, but it's just my opinion to get the ball rolling.

1 Eddy Ben Arous, I rate him very highly
2 Rory Best
3 WP Nel, maybe Dan Cole
4 Joe Launchbury
5 Alun Wyn Jones
6 CJ Stander, should be eligible for Ireland by now
7 Steffon Armitage (I'm not sure if he counts since he won't be playing 6N)
8 Louis Picamoles (I know he's injured right now, but when fit he is one of the few French players that poses a threat for any opponent)
9 I dunno, haven't seen Murray play in a while. Davies played well at the WC but how has he played for the Scarlets? Maybe Joe Simpson or Youngs??
10 Dan Biggar
11 Anthony Watson
12 Robbie Henshaw, eventually I think he'll settle into the 13 jersey for Ireland with Stuart McCloskey at 12, the two could be a real force
13 Mark Bennett
14 Jack Nowell, in great form for Exeter
15 Stuart Hogg

...Thanks for your reply Canuck..we don't get to see a lot of NH rugby down under so need a bit of advise on putting my fantasy team together...Like the look of your team but will try to name a few alternative players just to be different

1 Healy?
2 Whatever happened to Hartley ?..
3 Cole/ Vunipola ?
4 R Gray
5 Henderson
6 /7/8 all loosies so wont worry too much about who goes where in fantasy rugby
Faletau
Tipuric
Parisse / Haskell

9 Laidlaw
10 Russel/ Ford
11 Nakataci
12 / 13 Fikou / Fofana / Joseph
14 North
15 Brown

My 1st choices with alternatives

15. Brown alt L Williams
14. Nowell alt North
13. Bennett alt Roberts
12. Fofana alt Joseph
11. Eli Walker alt Watson
10. Biggar alt Ford
9. Esande alt Murray

1. Ben Arous Healy
2. Guirado Baldwin
3. W P Nel Cole
4. Launchberry Parling
5. AWJ Toner
6.Warburton SOB
7.Tipuric Armitage
8. Picamoles Heaslip

My dead certs would be, Brown, Nowell, Bennett and Biggar in the backs and Guirado, AWJ, Picamoles and Tipuric in the pack.

Normally safer to stay out of these, but not this time!!

1. Ben Arous?
2. Best
3. ...?
4. Launchbury
5. Wyn-Jones
6. O'Brien
7. Warburton
8. Armitage / Ewers

9. Murray / Simpson
10. Biggar (Sextons current form)
11. North (Not his wing I know)
12. Fofana
13. Joseph
14. Nowell
15. Brown

Just anyone but biggar at 10. With no monster centres to ship the ball to, his complete lack of anything that resembles a Welsh ball playing 10 is glaringly obvious. He is the epitome of a pivot with a game plan of "catch the ball and pass it to someone better than you".

1 Eddy Ben Arous
2 Rory Best- Because **** Dylan Hartley
3 Dan Cole
4 Richie Gray
5 Jonny Gray
6 James Haskell
7 Sam Warburton
8 Sergio Parisse
9 Connor Murray I am also a 6'2" scrum half so I like him.
10 Morgan Parra This is probably considered cheating cause he usually plays 9 but he he's played here before. Only other player I considered was Finn Russell but that was based on his hair.
11 George North
12 Owen Farrell Originally gonna be my flyhalf but I had to push Parra down a spot to put Murray in.
13 Jonathan Joseph
14 Simon Zebo Because that heel flick was amazing
15 Leigh Halfpeny

If anyone doesn't put Elliot Daly in at 13 as the form outside centre in Europe they are lying to us, themselves and their families ....

I'm English so forgive me if I'm biased towards my home players, it's just because I don't watch much Pro 12 or French rugby. So take my team with a pinch of salt I suppose.
1. Mako Vunipola
2. Sean Cronin
3. WP Nel
4. Joe Launchbury
5. Alun Wyn Jones
6. Sam Warburton
7. Steffon Armitage (If we're not counting him then Sam Warburton at 7, O'Brien into 6 and Faletau into 20)
8. Sergio Parisse
9. Joe Simpson
10. Dan Biggar
11. George North
12. Luke Fitzgerald
13. Elliot Daly
14. Jack Nowell
15. Stuart Hogg

16. Jamie George
17. Cian Healy
18. Dan Cole
19. Maro Itoje
20. Sean O'Brien
21. Rhys Webb
22. Henry Slade
23. Anthony Watson

Last edited:
Just anyone but biggar at 10. With no monster centres to ship the ball to, his complete lack of anything that resembles a Welsh ball playing 10 is glaringly obvious. He is the epitome of a pivot with a game plan of "catch the ball and pass it to someone better than you".

Can't agree with you there mate, I think he's great. Not an out and out 10, but as I heard him described when the Ospreys played Exeter, a "Fly-Back" or a "Full-Half." The way he can kick the ball and then chase and reclaim it himself is immense, a real weapon against teams. Granted if you wanted a real playmaker at 10 you'd probably select Faz or Ford over him, but Biggar has his own game and plays it brilliantly. I guess it depends what you're looking for.

Can i suggest Nathan Hughes? i mean i know he won't qualify for a few more months but has to be the top 8 in Europe currently? his stats speak for themselves and he dominated Armitage, Heaslip and Vermualen in our European games.

Top 8 in Europe is Picamoles IMO. Yacouba Camara (21) of Stade Toulousain is in it too and came out on top versus Vermeuelen & Armitage.

1. Ben Arous
2. Guirado/Best
3. Slimani
4. Jedrasiak
5. Gray
6. Dusautoir
7. Camara
8. Picamoles
9. Bézy
10. Lopez
11. Strettle
12. Fofana/Joseph
13. Fickou/Fitzgerald
14. Nowell
15. Dulin

From a welsh perspective (I don't have time to watch more games, other than the premiership highlights), I think the following deserve to be mentioned:

AWJ at lock. Been exceptional as always for the O's.

Tipuric/James Davies. Both been very good for their regions. Davies did come up a little short in Europe (in a struggling side though), and has been injured recently though. Tips is pure class.

Dan Biggar. Like him or not, he's effective.

Dan Evans. Don't think he's international standard, but he's still been quality for the O's this season.

Surely there'd have to be a fair number of Sarries and Wasps players in there. Sarries are unbeaten in all competitions, and Wasps gave 2 former champions battering's in Europe.

Last edited:

Terrible anti Biggar comments, he is the best NH 10 by far suggest you open your eyes and watch him more closely.

15 Brown / Hogg
14 Nowell / Strettle
13 Slade / Joseph
12 Tuilagi / Henshaw
11 Ashton / North
10 Farell / Slade
9 Ben Young / Bézy
8 Parisse / PIcamoles
7 Warburton /
6 Itoje
5 Kruis
4 Johnny Gray
3 Ben Arous
2 Tom Youngs
1 Samson Lee

15 Brown / Hogg
14 Nowell / Strettle
13 Slade / Joseph
12 Tuilagi / Henshaw
11 Ashton / North
10 Farell / Slade
9 Ben Young / Bézy
8 Parisse / PIcamoles
7 Warburton /
6 Itoje
5 Kruis
4 Johnny Gray
3 Ben Arous
2 Tom Youngs
1 Samson Lee

Thats just an England team with a couple of loan players, Hogg doesn't deserve a place he's a dirty cheat, at 10 the Ospreys have 2 better 10's in Biggar and Sam Davies, plus there is a certain Irish 10, no AWJ either, madness. Now Johny Fox is fit again I'd pick him over the 2 in my original selection, he is the classiest centre in the NH and therefore better than both of your centres.
On the positive I like your front row and your back row balance (prefer Picamoles to Parisse last 12 months form)
Finally there are 3 Welsh 9's better than Young and Bezy is only good with a dominant 8 in front of him.
Happy New Year.

Latest posts