Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tadginator

Academy Player
Country Flag
Former Soviet Union
Club or Nation
Leeds Rhinos
Who do you think is the best of the gears?I never saw too much of Rico in his peak so I've always wondered what they were like compared to each other from the opinion of a fan.

Rico has clearly achieved more. I always thought Hosea deserved more opportunities but they just never came his way.

Rico has clearly achieved more. I always thought Hosea deserved more opportunities but they just never came his way.

Well, Rico only played 5 more tests than Hosea Gear and other than brieftly in 2005 never really was considered the incumbant winger over Howlett, Rokocoko and Sivivatu. Both missed out on Rugby World Cups. Rico Gear scored 11 tries in 19 tests. Hosea Gear scored 6 tries in 14 tests.

Hosea Gear scored 39 tries in Super Rugby while Rico Gear scored 40.

Rico Gear holds the record for most Super Rugby tries in a season while Hosea Gear holds the record for most in an NPC season.

I think they're pretty comparrable. Rico Gear was a different kind of winger to Hosea though. He probably had some sharper skills, a good kicking and passing game. Hosea Gear on the other hand seemed a bit quicker and certainly a lot stronger. I always though it was a shame Hosea Gear never really got the oppertunities I thought he deserved. On the other hand he is tearing it up for Toulouse - and Rico wasn't much of a star when he went to Worcester (not that anyone could have been).

Rico has, perhaps, achieved more simply because he's older. Hosea, provided he stays healthy, has a few more years to go yet and who knows what he'll accomplish.

das

I simply don't consider time spent overseas when I evaluate players. If you don't perform in NZ, I'm not going to remember you.

Latest posts