• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Toulouse in NL1 (CONFIRMED)

V

Vambo

The Toulouse Olympic XIII, following their refused application to join the English Super League, is preparing to leave the French Elite 1 championship for a 3 years franchise within the National League 1. This championship is the English equivalent of the ProD2 of rugby league teams.

The TO will not enter a team in French Elite 1 but will participate in the Challenge Cup and the Lord Derby Cup. "The entry into National League 1 is a real springboard for the next TO application to the Super League for a franchise of 3 years, starting from the 2011-2012 seasonââ'¬Â the club was pleased to announce.

Toulouse had hoped to compete in the Super League, which has increased from twelve to fourteen teams, but their application was not successful. The Super League has decided to retain all current clubs and add the Welsh Celtic Crusaders and a traditional rugby league team on the outskirts of Manchester, Salford City Reds. The English rugby league has also rejected the ambitions of Widnes, Leigh, Halifax and Featherstone. Toulouse must now apply for the period 2012-2014.

The RFL has made its decision from four criteria: the stadium, the financial situation, the commercial dynamism, and training young players. To succeed, "the TO will therefore continue its structure to meet all the requirements of the specifications of the Super League," the club announced.

I think Toulouse is a long-term RFL project if they aren't in by 2012 all things being fair and equal ill be very surprised.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (redunderthebed @ Aug 30 2008, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think Toulouse is a long-term RFL project if they aren't in by 2012 all things being fair and equal ill be very surprised.[/b]

They have to make a NL1 Grand Final in order to apply for a 2012 licence.

It's good that they're in but I find it highly unlikely that they'll get a license for 2012 if I'm honest. It's a tough old world down in that division. It sounds like the RFL are going to do some good deals on travel packages etc though, that'll be good if that comes off. Hopefully they will become the NL1's Catalan Dragons success story.

Well now it's up to the Toulouse Olympique to show up and demonstrate their value. This will motivate them to strengthen the squand but also the clubs and the stadium. Toulouse municipality already commited to help the club in his way to accessing SL. Toulouse is an area much richer than Perpignan and relations between the two Rugby codes are much more peaceful.

So who else will make up NL1? With Salford and Celtic going to Superleague and Toulouse coming in, will they add one team from NL2 to keep it at 10 teams?

I believe the NL teams are going to have a franchise system of their own. Not sure when it kicks in though. I think its next season.

Latest posts