• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Training Balls vs Match balls?

M

mickywicky

The subject line says it all... what's the difference between training balls and match balls in Union?
I would expect that match ball to be made of tougher material, but then why nto just use match balls for training?
Something's not making sense to me :unsure:
Thanks for any replies!

meh, I've always seen them as one costs £10 the other £40. I think the Match Ball is supposed to be higher quality material, so lasts longer and is more comfortable to use. But then again, it'd be even better for training as well...

Yea pretty much basically!

Sometimes you can get a pass trainning ball which is heavier than a regular one that helps you pass the ball quicker and longer!

we used to train with a ball full of sand, short and quick passes, easy to learn the proper movement for passing.

Here's what I read on the North American site, WorldRugbyShop.com:

Match balls: "Match rugby balls are typically made of natural rubber and have better grip than their training ball counterparts. Match rugby balls, given the nature of the materials they are made of, tend to wear out faster than training balls do and should only be used for matches to get the most out of them."

Training balls: "Training rugby balls are designed to withstand the wear and tear of numerous practice sessions and are typically made of more durable synthetic materials to help increase longevity. While training balls tend to withstand constant wear and tear better than match balls do thanks to the focus on durability rather than pin-point precision in grip and flight, training balls are not as well suited for matches and should just be used for training if possible."

Take that for what it's worth...

Here's what I read on the North American site, WorldRugbyShop.com:

Match balls: "Match rugby balls are typically made of natural rubber and have better grip than their training ball counterparts. Match rugby balls, given the nature of the materials they are made of, tend to wear out faster than training balls do and should only be used for matches to get the most out of them."

Training balls: "Training rugby balls are designed to withstand the wear and tear of numerous practice sessions and are typically made of more durable synthetic materials to help increase longevity. While training balls tend to withstand constant wear and tear better than match balls do thanks to the focus on durability rather than pin-point precision in grip and flight, training balls are not as well suited for matches and should just be used for training if possible."

Take that for what it's worth...
[/b]

Precisely what I was looking to find out.
Thanks bru.

Match balls: really grippy and bouncy, have a lighter feel to them, fly longer/faster

Training balls: ball slips out of hands more, heavier, but can take a stronger beating over the years

About:

"Match balls: really grippy and bouncy, have a lighter feel to them, fly longer/faster

Training balls: ball slips out of hands more, heavier, but can take a stronger beating over the years"

The training ball aren´t usually heavier (Except the 1kg ones, as the soccer medicinal ball, but are expensive)

Latest posts