Training For Rugby

ORothlain

Official Plastic Paddy
TRF Legend
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
Ulster
We have a lot of members posting their questions about training for rugby. What I don't see is members saying what they do. Here are some questions from wich I'd like to get some feedback:

1. How many times do you do weight training per week?
1.2. What do you do for your weight training?
1.3. What are you trying to accomplish with your weight training?

2. How much cardiovascular training do you do each week?
2.2. What do you do for your cardio training?

3. How many times per week does your club have team training?
3.2. Does your club have fitness or strength training outside of the on the pitch training?

4. What level do you play at now, and what level do you aspire to play?

DonnchaOCallaghan_weights_preCheetahs_Lionstraining.jpg

That'll get the ball rolling. Good luck to everyone and be sure to use this section of TRF to get ideas, tips and have questions answered for playing the grand sport of Rugby.

Last edited:
Well i have just started to do proper work when i realise how off the pace I was at schools training last week

1. Every second day for the past week
1.2. Machines free weights in sets of 3
1.3. to put on 2 stone in the next year or so

2. Every second day only started high intensity lately
2.2. 150m shuttle runs ,laps of the pitch , sprints and getting up off floor sprinting again ..repeat many times...puuuuukkkeeeee

3. about 2 trainings and a match in season with school team training another 2 evenings and a match every second week currently training with leinster A schools and every 2nd week being assesed
3.2. Sadly none with club or school

4. U19 club rugby with my local team , senior with my school and leinster A schools . I would like to play top level AIL or with an english second div team Probably wont be tall enough for provincial :(

Fair enough. I'll play. This is my off-season routine. During season it's usually a trimmed up version of this. A couple fewer sets or days at the gym, but more calories. On season coincided with school, so that took time, and a helluva lot more being banged up (I don't lift when hurt).

1.1 Usually 5.
1.2 Chest: 4 different lifts, 4 sets apiece. Back: 6 different lifts, 4 sets apiece. Arms: 6 different lifts, 4 sets apiece. Shoulders: 6 different lifts, 4 sets apiece. Legs: Approximately 5 different lifts, 4 sets apiece. Torso (abs, obliques, lower back): 4-5 different lifts, 4 sets apiece. I typically shoot for 10 reps per set, but that being maximum. If I feel like I can do 12 reps on a set, I move up in weight on the following, as long as my joints are up to it. If I can only do 8, then I stick with it. It's almost all typical freeweights or a few machines I've come to like.
1.3 To gain muscle mass and strength. I've started from 'scratch' (being out of shape around 175-180lbs) twice and put on a fairly lean 20lbs in about 3 months each time.

2. Very little. I have a passion against cardio training, so honestly I just don't. In the summer I play 7s, which is a rigorous 2 days a week, then maybe a day or two a week mountain biking quite hard if I'm lucky. Really hurts me in the early season.

3. This is off-season, but if you must know, usually 2 to 4.
3.2 No, everyone is on their own on weight training and any training outside of practice, really.

4. American university level. That's pretty much as high as I'm going to go (this real-world getting a job thing really sucks.)

Extra: What most people don't realize is that your diet is probably 60% of getting bigger and stronger (if your goals are elsewhere, then maybe not that much). I lifted for 5 years with minimal result until I completely overhauled my diet. By then I knew my way around a weight room, so I just added dedication and strict diet and bam, 20lbs muscle. If you get a protein powder and have one shake a day, you are wasting your time and money. Those powders should only be to compliment a very good diet; giving an extra boost of protein when your other meals/schedule don't allow it. The term is 'bulking.' Look up a bulking diet and follow it unwaveringly. Probably some of the best advice I wish someone gave me earlier. Questions??

1. twice a week
1.2. Chest, back, arms ( just a normal routine that I try to slightly increase every week)
1.3. Strengthen those muscles to avoid injury and to stay fit.

2. 3 times a week
2.2. Running

3. Most clubs in Belgium practice twice a week
3.2. Still figuring out the club I will be playing for, so don't know it

4. Depends on the team but not that ambitious just wanna enjoy the game.

1. How many times do you do weight training per week? Two during the season, three during off season
1.2. What do you do for your weight training? Compound lifts (Squats, deadlifts, bench, overhead press, bent over rows, powercleans, pullups) and core work (leg raises, prone planks) then one or two isolation exercises (mainly for shoulder/rotator cuff)
1.3. What are you trying to accomplish with your weight training? More strength and power

2. How much cardiovascular training do you do each week? During the season: I train in the gym twice, and at the end of each session i'll either go on the bike or on a rowing machine for X amount of time, most of my CV comes from rugby training. Off season i do one LSD (long-slow-distance) then one or two more rugby specific training (fartleks or sprints)
2.2. What do you do for your cardio training? As above

3. How many times per week does your club have team training? Twice
3.2. Does your club have fitness or strength training outside of the on the pitch training? No, but i think they're starting this up next season

4. What level do you play at now, and what level do you aspire to play? University Rugby League - afterwards, just play for the local club wherever i end up

3.2. Still figuring out the club I will be playing for, so don't know it

well i played in an underage tournament in kituro in brussels..fantastic people really go above and beyond the call of duty to make sure you enjoy it out there they are good lads ..

kituro schaarbeek or something ..they are a great bunch from what i know of them :)

Cheers, will google search them. I'm planning of joining Celtic Brussels.

Cheers, will google search them. I'm planning of joining Celtic Brussels.

http://www.kituro.be - Kturo Schaerbeek Rugby Club

http://brusselsceltic.com - Brussels Celtic. This is t he club I'd recommend if you speak English as your first Language. I can speak well of the club as I have some limited experience with them.

Not sure about the other club, but from the sheer amount of sponsorship they have you can at least figure someone is on the ball with running the club.

Now, back to talk of training and sweating and doing manly things.

1. How many times do you do weight training per week? 4-5 times a week (Depending on game times)
Exercises designed to increase power - eg. many different types of squats, cleans, leg-press, dead-lifts, bench-press, t-bar row (heavy weight and 4 sets of 5-6 reps)
Exercises that are designed to increase core stability and provide protection - eg. Seated plate rotations, "the plank", weighted crunches.

Build an enormous amount of power and strength while my body is protected by the layer of muscle developed through core excercises.
4 times a week, coupled with the Tuesday - Thursday team training.
A minimal amount of long-distance running (3-4km) alternated with a lot of sprint work.
Twice - Tuesday and Thursday.
3.2. Does your club have fitness or strength training outside of the on the pitch training?
Not the club, but higher levels yes.

I'm alright I guess!

1. How many times do you do weight training per week?
Depends how busy my week is with college.. on average twice a week sometimes more

Mostly machine work.. one day doing biceps and chest the other sholders back and triceps. sometimes lifting at home with some weights.

Just to gain a bit more muscle mass to be honest.

As with weight training 2 times a week normally sometimes more depending on college work etc.

Running, cycling etc. (in and outside of gym)

One main training session on monday nights and then Depending on home or away games on saturday, if its home we have 1-2 hours before the game going over moves etc.

Not that i know of, everyone goes to the same gym though.

Right now im at a U19 Youth team, the Level i'd like to play is anything really, just 1st XV for the local team etc, if i stay in wales league 1 or 2 for that area.

Latest posts