• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Training Program

B

brooksey101

I play prop i weight 18 stone just scrap 6 foot im 18 years old got brute strength but want to beef up during the next few months ready for next season as i want to make the first team.

I hate fitness with a passion as most props do but my ability round the pitch is fine and i know how to work that and get better at it

Could you set up a program for me which i can do in the gym going around 3 times a week?

Maybe alternate weeks of legs upper body and core?

If you look at my post in the other thread, concentrate on power. It's far more important than size, espeically in scrummaging. Work on power drills and you'll soon get mahoosive.

I've posted up workouts that I've developed for my own team before.
However, I chose to once again browse the World Wide Web and see if anything new and interesting may have popped up. What I found was a program with similar principles to what I've designed before, but with more explanation and greater depth of insight into the mechanics of the exercises.
Regardless of having natural brute strength, to compete in sports today, you have to develop that brute strength, and that can only be done with proper weight training.

Here's the link:
http://www.rugby.org/articles/rugtrain.htm

Try it out and give us feedback.

Cheers!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Jan 11 2009, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
However, I chose to once again browse the World Wide Web and see if anything new and interesting may have popped up. What I found was a program with similar principles to what I've designed before, but with more explanation and greater depth of insight into the mechanics of the exercises.
Regardless of having natural brute strength, to compete in sports today, you have to develop that brute strength, and that can only be done with proper weight training.

Here's the link:

Cheers![/b]

That in season programme is awful, just get any personal trainer at your local gym who knows anythign and they will tell you why.
Rugby is very position specific and training should be very specific to. Also depends on whats going to be the best use of your time to get in and stay in the first team. ie if your prop and the 1st team props are giant then beat them on the fitness so your offering another option rather than trying to be as strong as others.

I've never really seen much good informed information about playing rugby.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ([email protected] @ Jan 14 2009, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Jan 11 2009, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's the link:

Cheers![/b]

That in season programme is awful, just get any personal trainer at your local gym who knows anythign and they will tell you why.
Rugby is very position specific and training should be very specific to. Also depends on whats going to be the best use of your time to get in and stay in the first team. ie if your prop and the 1st team props are giant then beat them on the fitness so your offering another option rather than trying to be as strong as others.

I've never really seen much good informed information about playing rugby.
[/b][/quote]
No offense, but I think your talking a bit of crap.

True, there isn't a lot of Rugby Training information out there. This training course focuses, however, on being fit rather than just being a body builder. If you know of a better training regime, post it up. So far you offered this guy absolutely nothing.

http://www.elitefts.com/ws4sb/WS4SB.pdf

This, in my mind, is the best trainign program out there. It covers both conditioning and power and has been proven to be extremely effective on many occasions. Joe Defranco, the guy who designed it, is widely regarded as one of the best athletic trainers in the world. Check him out at http://www.defrancostraining.com/index.php if you want to learn more about him. He has a lot of free information on his website that is pretty useful and his youtube link has a lot of good explanations and examples of how to do the exercises in the program.

bear in mind defranco trains football players primarily, whose fitness demands are pretty minimal

i also agree that the above training program is pants.

1. there should be a greater focus on strength. you will never develop much strength with one or two sessions a week. the physical demands of rugby are varied and conflicting, but strength is a vital component.

2. the list of exercises is rubbish. you can build strength and mass with as little as two upper body exercises (eg bench press and bent over row). furthermore, leg curls are the only hamstring exercise, and they don't even train hip extension. no mention of squats or deadlifts, or their variations, which are the most effective means of training leg strength. lifting to failure is also retarded. no neck/trap exercises for forwards.

3. possibly too much fitness work in season, especially given pre season programming

4. depth jumps carry a relatively high injury risk especially in the excessive volumes suggested.

sorry if this is harsh, but it's all prettty obvious stuff

Deadlifts should be in every rugby players training program, they're quality

Latest posts